Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days on: September 26, 2013, 12:12:17 PM
Ride1gear

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »

Looking for route suggestions in ohio (I'm in the Massillon area) or PA. A buddy and I have a few days off in October And we want an adventure.  Traveling. A few hours is not out of the question, but closer to home is always better. Self contained or hotel, we don't really care. Less car traffic the better, WE WANT TO BE LOST.

Hit me up with any ideas

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:22 PM
swampboy62

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »

From NE OH, over by Youngstown.

First place I'd look is Wayne National Forest.  The forest unit near the Ohio River has some trails open to mtb, plus back country camping.  But I don't think there's enough miles probably for that length of a trip.

PA's Allegheny Nat'l Forest is NOT mtb friendly, so the next (and probably best) choice would be WV's Monongahela Nat'l Forest.  Home of at least 2 IMBA Epic trails, there is enough riding there to last you a LONG time.

I've been putting together a North to South route through the MNF.  It's not really complete, but there are some interesting ideas there.

Steve Z

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:12:17 AM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »

I'm originally from Louisville, and know how hard it is to get lost in and around Stark County & Northeast Ohio. If you want a dirt route I'd also suggest MNF, or anything in Michigan North of Grand Rapids. If your looking for paved stuff, Ohio has endless back roads. Just grab a Delorme Atlas, figure out some destinations, and connect them.

We used to sell a mountain biking map for Monongahela, but I don't think its been updated in 10+ years. You still might be able to find it around somewhere. If you do want to follow a mostly paved route in that area, you could check out our Allegheny Mountain Loop: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/allegheny-mountains-loop/

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:20:04 PM
batty

Base Camp - Southwestern PA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »

Allegheny National Forest has lots of potential for a 2-3 day trip.  If you get the National Geographic map set (2) - you will see lots of possibility of linking dirt roads, snowmobile track, abandoned rail and occasional pavement to make a nice route.  I have often thought of following the 100 mile snowmobile loop route.  Some of it might make for interesting riding, but sounds like you are looking for an adventure.

The laurel highlands has a lot of overnight potential as well.  I have done a number of overnight loops between laurel mountain and ohiopyle state park.

The Monongahela National Forest is awesome.  I have done plenty of 2-3 day routes there.  If you want isolation you got it. 

I am happy to send pdfs of routes I've done or answer any other questions when you decide where you are going. 

jhl99 will chime in as well, I'm sure - He is well versed in our area - just check out his posts.

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:16:45 AM
Ride1gear

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »

I will take any maps or info you have on any routes. I am always looking for something good to get list on or to just explore.

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 12:23:36 PM
swampboy62

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »

Well, here's the Google map that I've been working on for the N to S route through the Monongahela NF.  Note that Google maps is a huge pain in the ass, and has jumbled the order of some route segments and will not let me rearrange them.   Also note that some sections that were good to go may not be now (such as the Blackwater Canyon rail trail - read that it's got lots and lots of blowdowns).  And there are a few 'speculative' links as well - like the connection to Bickle Knob.

http://goo.gl/maps/EPcLs

The poster above had a point about Allegheny National Forest - you could link together gravel, forest service roads, ATV trails and paved roads to make a route - just not much singletrack.  I spent a good part of a year trying to make a mtbrs map for ANF, and finally gave it up when I realized how anti-mtb the forest policy has become.  I still have the backgrounds, which show a lot of the gravel road and singletrack locations.  It won't be a huge help but I could send you a jpg if you think that you'd be satisfied with a gravel road trip.  If you're interested post up an email and I'll send you a copy.

Steve Z

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:25 PM
Ride1gear

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »

Joe@erniesbikeshop.com

Thanks man

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:16:55 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »

I agree with what has been stated by others regarding ANF, MFN and Laurel Highlands.  I would add that if you go farther east, there are large blocks of State Forest land that offer a lot of dirt road riding... single track is hit or miss... you need local knowledge.  Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forest are the exception with a lot of technical single track along with forest roads.  It is prime time to get out in the woods as the leaves change.

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 05:55:14 PM
Ride1gear

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »

I have been through Rothrock and a few more of the surrounding areas on the MTB, never on the fire roads and the like

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:29:13 AM
batty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:29:13 AM »

Rothrock SF is an excellent suggestion. In fact the wilderness 101 race course is a great 2-3 day trip.  I did it as an overnighter a few years back.  Attached is a link of their 2013 race course.  I added a suggested parking area (Bear Meadows Rd, near Tussey Mt. Ski area, near Boalsburg) and camping area (Poe Paddy SP).  It is a great route that is mostly forest road with some tough single track thrown in.  There are some pretty remote sections.  Their map shows all roads and trails, so you could adjust as desired - It just doesn't show topography - Be ready for some climbing.

* Wilderness101.pdf (803.53 KB - downloaded 173 times.)

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 07:14:34 AM
batty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »

Here is an interesting route through Northern Monongahela NF (others can chime in). I attached a map and notes (I have a better resolution map with notes, but file was too big).  The ride makes a big loop around the Otter Creek Wilderness Area.  It starts outside of Elkins.  Camping and lodging options are in the Thomas/Davis area.  The route utilizes the Blackwater Canyon Trail, Allegheny Highlands Trail, Canaan Mountain Area, several forest roads sections and some pavement.  You can check in with the guys at Blackwater Bikes for trail conditions.

* NorthMonLoop.pdf (325.16 KB - downloaded 185 times.)
* NorthMonLoopNotes.pdf (24.91 KB - downloaded 125 times.)

Topic Name: OHIO or PENNSYLVANIA adventure trip 2-3 days Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 05:28:41 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

I road down to Blackwater Falls SP (right outside of Davis) Saturday.... this is what the canyon looks like...
leaves at highest elevation are probably at their peak.

[/URL]
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: