Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: PNT on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:33 PM
speedycog

View Profile WWW
PNT
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »

Has anyone ridden any sections of the PNT? (http://www.pnt.org) I've done a little map exploring on the eastern section of Washington (sections 3 and 4 http://www.pnt.org/maps/PNT_Sec03.pdf and http://www.pnt.org/maps/hitzroth/PNT_Sec04.pdf) and for the most part it looks like it would be a great bikepacking route.

I know there are a several sections that are either national parks or wilderness areas (1, 6, 7, 9, 10) so the entire thing isn't rideable—but preliminary study suggests that a good chunk of it would be.

Anyone have any first-hand experience on the route?

Topic Name: PNT Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:56 PM
juanesunpescado

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

I am riding the 30 miles of the Kettle Crest north of Sherman pass this weekend. I have tentative plans to do most of the Washington portion in 2014. I am curious to see first hand the sections marked "cross country". I am assuming this is not practical with a bike, but it looks like there are generally road alternatives. Will know more on Monday :-)

Topic Name: PNT Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:05 PM
speedycog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »

Yeah, those XC sections looked a little sketchy—and really, completely unnecessary in the cases I saw.

Looking forward to your trip report!

Topic Name: PNT Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:03 AM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »

https://www.createspace.com/4215941
Written with military precision.
If you look on the PNT forum, you can order direct from the author.
May be possible to skirt the wilderness by riding the Trans Canada Trail.

Topic Name: PNT Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:29:16 PM
speedycog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

@chrisx, thanks what a great find. Wishlisted!

This, however, gives me pause: "At its worst we're bushwhacking chest deep in nettles and fire grass, with cold wet feet, no human contact for eight days, and yet there still no trail in sight." but I suspect that's either one of the XC routes or in a non-bike wilderness area.

Topic Name: PNT Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:05 PM
carbonguy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »

The PNT trail is actually pretty good for biking, as a large fraction is dirt roads that connect smaller segments of trails (at least in WA). But good information is hard to find. I have the Northwest Trail Digest and find it mildly helpful in general information - but certainly well worth the $10. If you have time, I think it'd be best to just get out and explore a few sections on their own to get a feel for the areas.

Last weekend I did the PNT in western WA between Alger and Hamilton. It was fun, but doing this exact route in reverse would be otherworldly because of the single track that goes down east from Mount Josephine. I was happy to have gravity pull my bike down while it barely fit under / between fallen trees. It took me 45 min to get down 0.8 miles and 700 ft. At this particular point of the PNT the guide book only mentions "The trail continues for another 0.5 miles up the ridge toward Mount Josephine." While this is true, in terms of the effort involved to go up, this may well be a 2 hour ordeal with a loaded bikepacking bike. Pictures, GPX track and such:
http://2wheeltrails.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/bikepacking-the-pnt-from-alger-to-hamilton-wa/

I have also ridden westwards to Blanchard Mountain and that area is a treat. Afterwards, there are lots of paved & dirt roads heading south-west to Deception Pass which I haven't explored, yet. I am sure it's beautiful when the flowers are out!

Topic Name: PNT Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:28:30 PM
willapajames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »

It's a shame you can't ride in the wilderness areas.  The Pasayten Wilderness is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to, but only on foot.  Why they'll allow a 1000-lb horse with metal shoes is beyond me.  Guess it harkens back to the cowboys, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.  My old man worked on trail crews when he was in college, and was responsible for putting a lot of the route through the Pasayten.  It would be worth walking across it with a bike on your back.  I imagine the rest of the high alpine meadows in Washington are just as gorgeous.  I miss my home state... though Vermont ain't bad.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: