Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 on: June 22, 2012, 07:47:31 PM
perusn01

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »

Update as of May 2014:

Will ride from Slater (CO/WY border) and head south beginning July 24.  I have 8-10 days to reach Platoro, so I figure 40-80 miles per day, an honest pace but one that allows some flexibility and room for error.  All else below is from my original post.  

I originally had a post about completing the entire route in the summer of 2014.  Life circumstances won't allow for that at this time, but I do have a couple of weeks set aside for the Colorado portion of the route, from Slater Creek to Platoro.  Please contact me for what I believe is a reasonable itinerary.

I am a 43-year old middle school teacher in Oxford, Michigan.  

Hope to complete the approximate 500 miles in 7-9 days.  Camping will be preferred method of sleeping (and saving money) but will hotel it if needed once or twice.  Riding titanium El Mariachi with Relevate bags - basically trying to move lightly and efficiently.

The plan is to ship my bike from Michigan to a shop in Littleton.  I'll fly to Denver, rent a car, pick up my bike and drive to Steamboat in the rental car.  Then turn in the rental car and ride my loaded bike to Slater Creek and ride the route to Platoro.  Then ride 60 miles east to Alamosa where I can rent another car to take my bike back to the shop in Littleton so I can ship it home.  Finally, drop off the rental car at the Denver airport and fly home.  What could possibly go wrong?!

I would really like to find some of you who will be passing by the CO, WY border near the end of July so I can ride with someone, at least for a bit.  

Hope to hear from someone.  I will firm up exact dates based on responses I get.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:15:53 PM by perusn01 » Logged

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:43:20 AM
Greenwheels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »

Sounds like the way I'd like to do it too. Can't imagine myself being up to the fitness levels of the racers! And I don't have the type of outdoor experience that most guys who do this route have. We don't have wilderness ...or grizzlies in Ireland!

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:27 AM
mosibiker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:27 AM »

I have been thinking of shooting for a similar trip, ride the route self supported but don't stress on it to the point of ruining the experience if I want my wife to meet me mid way or something, my goal is to ride the route in around a month.  It would be over a years worth of vacation for me so it's a big undertaking in that respect, I was thinking the same thing, dedicating 6 weeks with a goal of around 100 miles a day would leave room for travel, a little elevation acclimaztion and room for problems / repairs.  My thought was mid June depart and riding it Northbound to hit the snow section after it has had a chance to melt a little more, this would provide some additional entertainment as the race could be watched coming by for much of the trip in the other direction.

PM sent.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:17:24 PM
KDC1956

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Did you get to do the trip? thumbsup

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:52:53 PM
Blammo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

That's my timeframe, so consider me in.  It won't be an ITT for me as my spouse and kids my be meeting me during one or two of the middle weeks.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:25:57 AM
Maxplusb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 03:25:57 AM »

I would want to do it with one trailer taking turns pulling it

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
Gizmosity

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »

Going coast to coast this coming summer and I'm building up an Ogre for the Great Divide Route for about the same time as the original poster.  I've got 3 months to do it so my planned pace will be slower with some side trips into Glacier Park and a few days to a week playing around on HWY 12 outside of Missoula that I'll be scouting this summer. Our paths may cross.  I'm in SW Wisconsin.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:26 PM
kjrinka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »

Hey everyone, is this group still going? I noticed the original poster has not logged in since June.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:55:58 AM
terry249

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »

Hi, very interested in your post... i also want to do the route but not at race pace, I'm looking at 30-37 days and my start date is flexible.
I'm from the UK and work as a mechanic for the British Army and am also one of the Battalion's mountain bike instructors, for me this would be a trip of a lifetime. Message me if your interested. Thanks Terry.

And if any other riders are interested in this please let me know ..... july 2014 flexible on dates.

Just updating the above post and im also now able to do it June/July, would be great if there was a few of us !
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:06:57 AM by terry249 » Logged

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:14 AM
hmaddox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

I'm interested too. Looking for a group to ride with (mainly for safety reasons). June/July 2014...I'm thinking around 60 miles a day -- maybe more, maybe less.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 04:03:54 PM
kiwi biker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am planning to do the the north to south, starting banff early June 2014. Self supported with panniers, mostly camping. was planning to taking a semi-relaxed ride, based on Cycling Great Divide Ride book of 40-60 days ish. Looking for people to do some or all of the ride as a group.

I am a 40 year old male, teacher from New Zealand. I've been wanting to do this ride for a few years and its locked in for 2014.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:12 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

Hi guys
I am keen for a "fast tour" of the route next June/July as well, aiming for about 30 days. I am still working on the required permissions so will let you know when I obtain clearance. Kiwi Biker, your plan sounds very similar to what I am thinking.

Oh, for information I am 42 and married with 2 kids.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:19 PM
tahic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:19 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am planning to do the the north to south, starting banff early June 2014. Self supported with panniers, mostly camping. was planning to taking a semi-relaxed ride, based on Cycling Great Divide Ride book of 40-60 days ish. Looking for people to do some or all of the ride as a group.

I am a 40 year old male, teacher from New Zealand. I've been wanting to do this ride for a few years and its locked in for 2014.

I am also from NZ looking at doing the route 2014 I perhaps don't have as much time as you but will bear in mind. I was planning on doing the race but a broken leg has scuppered my ambitions somewhat and I may have to settle for a more leisurely pace. I'm a bit older than you and a nurse. Where in NZ are you based?

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:18 AM
kiwi biker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »

HI Tahic

I am based in Christchurch. Yeah I thought about the race but decided it would spoil the adventure to rush it! I dont know how long the ride will actually take, I see the great divide guide book does it in 60 riding days... I was doing to rely on the 90 day visa waiver so have 90 days all together for my time in the US. have you read the book "eat, sleep, ride?" its a good account of the race.

Stuart

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 05:57:00 PM
boglenn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »

I am also interested in riding the divide next summer, 2014.  Also, I would like to do it as a tour with possibly 50-60 miles per day.  As you may know Adventure Cycling advised against the Banff to US border section this summer because of flooding which washed out some of the trail. I have seen photos taken by some riders who did the route anyway and I am confident the route took a considerable toll on their equipment, not to mention their bodies.  Last I checked there were some serious bear issues in Canada into Montana and the recommendation was to ride in groups.  I am therefore considering riding the original route from border to border and would be interested in meeting up with a group heading south in Roosville at least through bear country.  There is an airport in Kalispell MT which is 75 miles south of Roosville so that it should not be too difficult to hire a driver or ride to the start.  Also, in talking with a rider who has done the race several times, he suggested for a tour the best time to leave from the north is mid July.  You avoid the snow and wet riding in the north and by the time you get to New Mexico the heat is letting up, the wild fires usually are over, and the Parks Service will not close access to the route. 

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 07:59:52 PM
AlienFarmPhoto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »

Hi My name is Eddie Mason.  I am an avid cyclist.  I am also a Photographer.  I am looking to do this ride next summer  I want to complete the ride within the guidelines of the race but with no pressure to compete.  Slow and easy on a single speed 29er.  I want to capture the essence of this ride.  The beauty through my photography.  I am preparing a kickstarter project to fund this venture so I hope you will be on the lookout.  I am reaching out to you for any advice from anyone who has done this ride or competed in the underground race.  I am a former resident of Summit County, CO and have ridden from CO to Virginia on a bicycle with a 75 lb Bob Trailer.  I do know what I am getting into.  It would be nice to hook up with a group and make them part of my photo project.  Im currently living in Battle Creek, MI  so it would be easy to hook up and ride with someone with the same goal.  Let me know what you think.   eddie.mason@gmail.com

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 06:04:07 PM
kiwi biker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

Hi All

I am still keen on the ride, starting Jasper then Banff then the great divide ride. Approx june 2014 but can be flexible to suit. Keen to share the ride with others, let me know if you are keen! I am a 40 year old male, secondary school teacher from New Zealand.

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:03:24 PM
captfad1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »

Hi anyone interested my brother and I are doing the great divide leaving banff on the 20th June. We are looking at around 60 mile a day give or take with time to take it all in and a day off once a week nothing locked in but to have fun and enjoy, we are 41 and 50 reasonably fit doing a bit of training at home in Australia, we live on the nth coast at coffs hbr nsw. Anybody keen please contact, we are riding Scott 29ers and towing Bob trailers,camping to keep cost down but with the odd night motel when needed. Flying into la on the 15th into banff on the 17th for a few days to look around and get organize. We have a Web page it is www.cyclinggreatdivide.com

Topic Name: GDMBR Great Divide Colorado Portion Late July 2014 Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:20 AM
perusn01

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:20 AM »

I'll try to look you up when I get started at the CO/WY border, probably about July 22.  Most likely you'll be far ahead, but who knows.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: