Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Great Divide late jun/early july on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:01 PM
Gravelgrinder

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »

Hi there, I'm new to this forum.  I'm planning to do the GDMBR this summer and I'm looking for ride partners.  I've made contact with one other rider on this forum already.  I'm 37, from southern ontario, Canada.  Planning to do the route in 30-40 days.  Looking to camp mostly, motels when I need to dry out.  I'm very flexible as to start dates and length of trip if it means I can get a good group/partner.

let me know if you're interested!

Topic Name: Great Divide late jun/early july Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:48:04 AM
boglenn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:48:04 AM »

I am also in riding the Divide this summer.  I plan to do it as a tour with possibly 50-60 miles per day.  Last I checked there were some serious bear issues in Canada from Banff into Montana and the recommendation was to ride in groups.  I am therefore riding with an Adventure Cycling group from Banff to Whitefish, Montana through bear country. The tour stops in Whitefish and I plan to take off solo from there.  In talking with a rider who has done the race several times, he suggested for a tour the best time to leave from the north is mid July.  You avoid the snow and wet riding in the north and by the time you get to New Mexico the heat is letting up, the wild fires usually are over, and the Parks Service will not close access to the route.

There are several riders who I have emailed with who are leaving at different times with different daily riding plans.  I plan to do a spread sheet with names and emails and other data so we can keep in touch as we all head south.  It is likely that folks will overlap as some take a day off or have a forced layover.  If you want to share your information, I will put it in the spread sheet.

Bo Glenn
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: