Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 on: August 28, 2012, 11:04:58 AM
willallen88

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm a teacher in the UK and i've decided to ride the GDMBR next summer (2013).

I'm looking for some people to ride with, or at least set off with to make the whole experience a bit more sociable.

I'm planning on averaging 100 miles a day and leaving at the end of July (when schools out for summer!). I've had plenty of touring experience and have got many 100+ mile rides under my belt, although i'm not kidding myself as this is by far my biggest tour to date.

Please contact me willallen88@gmail.com if you think you might be interested in starting together in Banff.

Cheers,

Will

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:34:00 PM
fargoer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »

Hey, I just sent you an email. I thought it might still be a good idea to reply here in case other people are thinking of joining this thread.

I'm shooting for July as well, trying to finish in about a month or so. I'm in CA.

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:34 AM
KenSmithMT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »

Hello
I'm planning to cover the first portion of the route, Banff - Seeley Lake (and then off route to Missoula), with a group of guys from Missoula.  We are heading out July 13, 2013.  You're welcome to joing the group if it fits your schedule.  Also as we are close to the route, if you need some emergency assistance feel free to contact me.

Recreational Endorphin Junkie
...searching for that fuzzy, oxygen deprived endorphin overloaded nirvana.

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:55:56 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:55:56 AM »

There are 3 of us planning to fly out of UK on 13th July for a start on 15/16th July from Banff.  Aiming for Steamboat / Breck at about 60-70 miles per day - holiday pace.

Quick question for KenSmith (or anybody else) - is meths easily available in USA on the route?  Thinking of taking a meths stove between us for some cooking.

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:00:33 AM
KenSmithMT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:00:33 AM »

Funny...at first glance I thought you were asking about Meth (the drug) and thought that would be an interesting trip. 
Meths , the fuel, is not available in the US.  Other denatured alcohol options are readily available in the northern half of the route as I am familiar with the towns you would pass through. I couldn't really say after that, but would expect it to be similar.
This is a link that explains pretty well what would be available.  I have used heet and other denatured alcohols in my stove without any problems.  I would recommend testing in your stove beforehand if possible.
http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/08/alcohol-as-stove-fuel.html?m=1
Hope that helps.

Recreational Endorphin Junkie
...searching for that fuzzy, oxygen deprived endorphin overloaded nirvana.

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:11:19 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »

Ken - many thanks for the link.  Something for us to consider. 

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 02:23:10 PM
hikin_jim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

As has been alluded to, alcohol isn't to my knowledge sold as "meths" or "methylated spirit" in Canada.

Methanol (methyl alcohol) should be available from gasoline stations (petrol stations) under the HEET brand in the yellow bottle, but if you can't find that, look for "methyl hydrate" (which is also methanol).  Try marine supply stores, hardware stores, etc.  Some retailers may also carry "denatured" alcohol which is a mix of things (mostly methanol and ethanol), which also works well as an alcohol stove fuel.

HJ
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:31:03 PM by hikin_jim » Logged

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:26:00 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

Blackhound

Are you still on schedule for mid July departure from Banff? I'm looking for people to ride with, same 60-70 miles per day relaxed pace, and wonder if you are considering adding riders to your group?

My schedule is flexible (I am semi retired), and was originally planning on the June 14th mass exodus/scramble but so far have not found a riding partner. If your plans permit adding a fourth, let me know and I will forward my info for your consideration.

In any case, have a great ride!

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Great Divide Trip July 2013 Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:43 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:43 AM »

Glen,

We fly from UK on 13th July and the plan is to start on the morning of the 15th.  If all sorted we may depart evening of 14th July and get a few hours in to give us a head start.  May make decision when we get there.  Issues around broken transatlantic bikes may need sorting and jetlag.

Not sure I should make a decision either way without consulting the other two so will email them later.  PM me your email and I will be in contact.

Kevin

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: