Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:00:36 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

tubeless in Oregon, not really.  Occasional flat, yes.  Goatheads, no. 
http://www.universalcycles.com/ has the supplies you need.

Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 09:20:47 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »

Excellent, thank you.

Saves me a bit of time - less time wrenching, more time riding.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:24 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:24 PM »

I'm planning to catch the Coast Starlight from Klamath Falls back to Portland. I'll have an 18" fatbike with hudus on, will the bike boxes they sell fit a fat in it? Any other local knowledge to share about the train?

Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:48 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »

The further in advance you buy your ticket the cheaper it is.  Last minute tickets are silly expensive. 
Your ticket has a cash value if you change plans.  You can change stations.  They will trade your old ticket and cash for a new more expensive one.
Amtrak boxes are huge. The fee went up to $25.
Un assembled bikes arrive at bike shops in small boxes.
I have partially disassembled my bike and used one of these as a carry on.  Not all stations have full service. Klamath does.
Check to be sure, Is it 2 pieces of lugage as carry, and 2 checked bags .  One small bike box, one backpack, And 2 wheels in hand went unchallenged.
Hot water is free on the Starlight. Everything else is expensive.  Bring instant coffee, oatmeal, cup of noodles, etc.

Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:49 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »

Bike theft culture
Due to drug culture mostly
There are professional bike thieves in Portland.  
Bikes are stolen in broad day light and sold at used bike shops with altered serial numbers.
Handel bars and seat post are removed out side of stores, in 1 minute.
I ride a $30 bike to the library and the store.
I do not park a $3,000 bike on the side walk in Portland. not for 1 minute.
Seattle is just as bad.  San Francisco leads the world in most stolen bikes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:09:08 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 07:08:30 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »

Combination of light rail and bus could get you to Estacada Oregon for $2.25. From there head up 224 along the Clackamass river.  From Estacada to Klamath no one should care where you camp.  Dispersed camping is legal in the National Forests.  The camp grounds are cheap.  Most likely free or not checked in winter.  If anyone else braves the weather, you will probably get free food and coffee.  The bike shop in Sisters Oregon can provide you with trail maps and and info for a crazy off road adventure.  Bend Oregon has trails every where.  You can get most of the way to klamath off road.  Get The IMBA maps from the LBS in Sisters.

After leaving Portland the risk of bike theft is 99% reduced.  Few if any stores will object if you bring it in.

Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:24 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »

I'm hearing ya, bike theft at the top of my mind. I'll be on a ti fatbike now, fargo is staying home. Basic route will be Portland - west along Columbia - south when east of Mt Hood - Bend - Crater Lake - Klamath Falls. Dirt every day.

Doing my grocery shopping has me worried the most - far more than animal encounters. Amazing how far an aussie accent can get you, when asking if I can park the bike for a minute or two in a shop...

Local Knowledge in stores was going to be my most trusted source of info. IMBA maps sound perfect.

Topic Name: ITI training camp AK, Oregon loop of wonder, Jan/Feb 2013 Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:34 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »

free bike maps in portland
Visit pioneer square in the center of down town.  Under the Star Bucks and behind the water fall. 
Multnomah County map, Columbia River Goourge map, Portland sectional maps, N, NW, SW, SE. All free.
I forget if it is the N or NW map that shows Forest park.  The largest urban park in the USA has many trails. Some for bikes Some not for bikes.  Basically the farther from the zoo the less regulated they are.  The Lief Erickson is a good afternoon ride. If you decide to poach the Wild Wood Trail on your way back to town watch for slippery wooden bridges after blind corners.  People that tumble there usually switch to flat pedals.  North of the Lief Erickson are phone line roads.  They go on too... ..  who knows, Astoria perhaps.

I am in southern Mexico at the moment.  I don't miss the rain. 
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: