Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #480 on: February 08, 2011, 10:16:59 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 08, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »

So I know it's been done on singlespeeds and on fixies, but has anybody ever attempted this thing on a cross bike? Or at least on cross tires?

What would be the downsides?

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #481 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:24 AM
Nathan Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:24 AM »

So I know it's been done on singlespeeds and on fixies, but has anybody ever attempted this thing on a cross bike? Or at least on cross tires?

Smaller wheels
Less tire = less rubber to wear down as the days go on
Worse handing (downhills, washboard)  And divide washboard is BAD.
Easier pinch flats
They aren't cushy like the MTB tires!

I sure as hell wouldn't do it, but I've always been and always will be a bruiser and cross tires just wouldn't make it for me.  It would be rad on the hills, and especially in the mud FUBAR sections.  I would say a 1.75 on the rear and 1.95 on the front would be my personal limits on width.  I ran 2.4 conti mountain kings to Steamboat, then ran 2.0 Stan's The Crow to Mexico.  I will most likely show up this year with a fresh set of Mountain Kings as I only flatted once with them and that was a pinch flat from what I swear was the most perfectly placed rock ever imagined.   I would like to reinforce that I was on a full rigid as well if the 2.4's seem a little large to you.

Nathan

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #482 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:42 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:42 AM »

Smaller wheels
Less tire = less rubber to wear down as the days go on
Worse handing (downhills, washboard)  And divide washboard is BAD.
Easier pinch flats
They aren't cushy like the MTB tires!

I sure as hell wouldn't do it, but I've always been and always will be a bruiser and cross tires just wouldn't make it for me.  It would be rad on the hills, and especially in the mud FUBAR sections.  I would say a 1.75 on the rear and 1.95 on the front would be my personal limits on width.  I ran 2.4 conti mountain kings to Steamboat, then ran 2.0 Stan's The Crow to Mexico.  I will most likely show up this year with a fresh set of Mountain Kings as I only flatted once with them and that was a pinch flat from what I swear was the most perfectly placed rock ever imagined.   I would like to reinforce that I was on a full rigid as well if the 2.4's seem a little large to you.

Nathan

All valid concerns. Having often ridden local (Mid-Atlantic, rolling to steep) dirt roads on my 27lbs bike behind guys on much lighter and better rolling cross bikes, I was just thinking that you could probably easily shave 2 to 3 days for an average racer, maybe even a little more.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #483 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:00 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »

2006, 2009 35c ish tires..... wont ever try that again.... or course also rigid but lighter tires and higher pressures dont agree with my wrists...  really think a 29x2.0-2.2 is the sweet spot

little tires just add that much more to the wear and tear on your body

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #484 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:45 AM
novrmyhed

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:45 AM »

Hey all!

I've been lurking around the forums now and finally thought it was time to ante up.  I'll be there in Banff and look forward to meeting everyone.  I start medical school in August and decided this summer is my first and last chance for a long time.  Anyways, thanks for all the great information!

Parker Smith

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:26:49 AM by novrmyhed » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #485 on: February 09, 2011, 11:30:58 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

All valid concerns. Having often ridden local (Mid-Atlantic, rolling to steep) dirt roads on my 27lbs bike behind guys on much lighter and better rolling cross bikes, I was just thinking that you could probably easily shave 2 to 3 days for an average racer, maybe even a little more.

Tempting but—

It has been attempted several times with narrow tires.  To my knowledge all those attempts have resulted in dnf’s for one reason or another.  

I am sure it could be done but the increased wear & tear on the body, degraded handling and risk of excessive flats balanced against the increase in speed have led most to go with a bigger tire.

As Slowerthensnot says (and the results seem to bear out) a 29x2.0-2.2 has become the accepted sweet spot

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #486 on: February 09, 2011, 06:26:40 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »

Tempting but—

It has been attempted several times with narrow tires.  To my knowledge all those attempts have resulted in dnf’s for one reason or another.  

I am sure it could be done but the increased wear & tear on the body, degraded handling and risk of excessive flats balanced against the increase in speed have led most to go with a bigger tire.

As Slowerthensnot says (and the results seem to bear out) a 29x2.0-2.2 has become the accepted sweet spot

Good info, thanks. 29 X 2.0, then!

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #487 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:00 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »

Through the winter and Spring I enjoy watching the Titan Cam in Sparwood. For you weight weenies, each tire weighs four tons.

see and click on titan cam.

http://www.sparwoodchamber.bc.ca/Links.htm

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #488 on: February 10, 2011, 07:54:33 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 10, 2011, 07:54:33 AM »

Through the winter and Spring I enjoy watching the Titan Cam in Sparwood. For you weight weenies, each tire weighs four tons.

Now I don't feel so bad about the weight of my rig  icon_biggrin

Bob

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #489 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:02 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

Now I don't feel so bad about the weight of my rig  icon_biggrin

Bob
And that is the wheel weight before Stans!

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #490 on: February 10, 2011, 02:54:36 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: February 10, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »

Ok Got to ask the veterans out there, What shoes? I have been depating this endlessly. It would seem that a stiff shoe would be good for the amount of riding everyday, but then again living in one pair of shoes makes for a very familiar relationship, possibly a painful one. I realize it is a personal preference, but curious who wore what and who had issues? Thanks Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #491 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:36 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »

Ok Got to ask the veterans out there, What shoes? I have been depating this endlessly. It would seem that a stiff shoe would be good for the amount of riding everyday, but then again living in one pair of shoes makes for a very familiar relationship, possibly a painful one. I realize it is a personal preference, but curious who wore what and who had issues? Thanks Jefe
i've done Lakes every year, but they were always my sobe/cannondale sponsor. they are very comfy though. when i eventually began to care about speed, i went to their lightweight carbon-soled version. they were awkward to walk in on linoleum grocery store floors, but there's very little of that going on in the GDMBR. just make sure you don't have too much toe box play / tightness or a toe box shape that's ill-conforming to your own unique 'toe-geometry' (some folks have some wonky toe lengths, etc.). get your shoes about half a size big to accommodate achille's swelling. also make sure the cleat mounts accommodate a far-back position to eliminate too much plantar flexion. another hot tip: keep your feet clean at all costs and the dust and dirt out from between your toes. this particulate will wear down your tender parts between toes over the long hours. sock choice is key too. too much friction is bad. seams in the wrong place are bad. i've had great luck with an orange peel-branded wool sock made by a company called 'save our soles' (i think they're co.-based).

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #492 on: February 10, 2011, 05:49:55 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 10, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »

I used my Pearl Izumi X-Alp PROs in 2009. They have treated me amazingly well in other ultras, including the rather wretched haul across the Big Ditch, but you don't need the 'hikeability' of them for the Divide, and they dried out so slowly that my feet were wet for the entire first week. This time around my feet will be wrapped in the next iteration (2012?) of the Pearl Octane SL MTB shoe...stiff carbon sole, well ventilated, quick-drying, and with a good-quality insole (don't underestimate the importance of this!), they're as comfortable as I've found for dirt road riding.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #493 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:46 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »

Mavic Pulse

Well it really is a big variable from rider to rider--but if this one fits its probably one of the lightest, least expensive with a nice tacky grip/tread/dries fast shoes on the market.  The sole is bike riding stiff but not quite carbon stiff—so it walks and hikes quite well

I also use I use a Specialized footbed

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/footwear/mountain-bike/footwear/Pulse

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #494 on: February 10, 2011, 07:29:20 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 10, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »

get your shoes about half a size big to accommodate achille's swelling. also make sure the cleat mounts accommodate a far-back position to eliminate too much plantar flexion.

Do your Achilles tendons swell that much!? I had some major problems with mine last year on the AZT that almost forced me to bag it, but the swelling was minimal. I ended up riding with my cleats pushed as far back as possible to minimize strain on the Achilles...I would have pushed them even farther back had I remembered to pack my Dremel.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #495 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:10 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:10 AM »

I'm neither a TD veteran nor have any of the speed that Kurt has, but I do know about ankle problems! For rides over 4 or 5 hours, off go the XTs and on with platform pedals. For TD this year, I'll definitely use platforms for exactly the reasons discussed so far. That allows using the arch occasionally and, although rarely, I may even lower the saddle during a ride and use the heel for a climb. Apparently, this provides enough of a recovery to avoid swelling and stiffness during long rides.

I've had repeated surgeries from sports injuries on both ankles (including both achilles), so that is a more fragile area for me. Probably doesn't apply to you, but for those prone to achilles swelling or stiffness, give platforms a consideration, despite losing some efficiency (there are undeniable advantages of clip-ins).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:20:43 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #496 on: February 11, 2011, 07:26:46 AM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2011, 07:26:46 AM »

I'm normally a fan of Shimano, but I was looking at those Mavic Pulse the other day thinking they looked suitable for this jaunt.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #497 on: February 11, 2011, 10:36:29 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 11, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »

I just did a full pack and I am at 47 lbs skin out, soup to nuts, spares, everything but food and water.  Curious where you folks are.  (typical ti 29er hardtail with fox fork, no backpack) These 40 lb reports have me wondering if I am off target. I do have a very light tent istead of a bivy, but that costs me 1lb tops.  and I do have a SB instead of a quilt (marmot atom)  And I am going to carry all maps and cue sheets.....say 10 oz. So where is the weight? Is it the kitchen sink in my camping kit? Smiley

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #498 on: February 11, 2011, 10:42:25 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 11, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »

I just did a full pack and I am at 47 lbs skin out, soup to nuts, spares, everything but food and water.  Curious where you folks are.  (typical ti 29er hardtail with fox fork, no backpack) These 40 lb reports have me wondering if I am off target. I do have a very light tent istead of a bivy, but that costs me 1lb tops.  and I do have a SB instead of a quilt (marmot atom)  And I am going to carry all maps and cue sheets.....say 10 oz. So where is the weight? Is it the kitchen sink in my camping kit? Smiley

I think the "skin out" weight is the key.  The guys with the sub-30 pound setups are probably not counting the clothes they are wearing, etc.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #499 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:57 AM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »

I'm itching for my bags to be made by Revelate so I can load up and see what I've got to lose from the load.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: