Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 62
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #640 on: March 06, 2011, 08:49:31 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: March 06, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »

Team NOBO (all 8 starters on the tourdivide.org list) has set its starting time for 9am in AW. Super organized group and there already is a good plan to get everybody to the border on time (it's going to be a bit crammed, though). We all are in favor of beating the heat, so might start sooner once we are all there.

Another logistics information that unfortunately doesn't turn out to be that useful: While Amtrak has on-demand stops at Lordsburg and Deming (routes from Los Angeles to Chicago and Los Angeles to New Orleans), they only allow FOLDABLE bikes. So it appears useless for getting to AW, although maybe be useful for escaping (Bruce Giroux, this year on team NOBO, left via Amtrak from Lordsburg a few years ago when he finished in AW, but shipped his bike back separately). It was ridiculous to get a clear answer from Amtrak on this (3 calls and 4 e-mail inquiries), but below is the official story. In fact, it is still unclear what the problem is because in one sentence they say there are bike racks and ride afterwards say that only foldable bikes are allowed. Normally, many trains have equipment for self-loading real bikes (even Amtrak), but apparently they are not accessible in Lordsburg or Deming. Very annoying, in Europe you rarely have to think about that. I took my family and friends biking in Switzerland and Germany last year (and we probably do that again in August) and when the 10 year olds got tired or the weather became too miserable, headed back to a road to the next city and took a train, no planning needed.

So here is Amtrak as far as Deming and Lordsburg is concerned:

Dear Roland Sturm,
Thank you for your recent email.
The service available for travel between Los Angeles, CA (LAX) and Lordsburg, NM (LDB) or Deming, NM (DEM) offers carry on baggage only.
This train service does offer bicycle racks on board.
Folding bicycles may be brought as carry-on baggage. Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.
You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in the overhead rack.

We hope this information will be of assistance.
Sincerely,
 Linda
Amtrak Customer Service
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:13:20 PM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #641 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:18 PM
jl

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »

I take that to mean Amtrak has racks on the outside of the train that you can load your bike onto.  However, if you want to take your bike inside the train, it needs to be a foldable bike.

JL

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #642 on: March 06, 2011, 01:30:54 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: March 06, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »

I take that to mean Amtrak has racks on the outside of the train that you can load your bike onto.  However, if you want to take your bike inside the train, it needs to be a foldable bike.

JL

That would be too easy, almost common sense, right?

That's why I made several phone calls and e-mails to verify, but NO, you cannot get a real bike on or off at Lordsburg or Deming, even if there were actual bike racks on the train.

Only this e-mail from Amtrak even indicated bike racks on the train because when I called reservations, the agent did not mention a bike rack option (and I asked), only that I could box the bike and transport as checked luggage (as on an airplane). But even that option (checked luggage) is not available for Lordsburg or Deming ("the service available offers carry-on only"), only at major stations like Tucson. So Amtrak offers only the rather useless "foldable bike as carry-on" option (or, as Bruce Giroux did before, ship your bike separately and just put yourself on the train in Lordsburg).  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:49:34 PM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #643 on: March 06, 2011, 07:50:08 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 06, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »

That would be too easy, almost common sense, right?

That's why I made several phone calls and e-mails to verify, but NO, you cannot get a real bike on or off at Lordsburg or Deming, even if there were actual bike racks on the train.

Only this e-mail from Amtrak even indicated bike racks on the train because when I called reservations, the agent did not mention a bike rack option (and I asked), only that I could box the bike and transport as checked luggage (as on an airplane). But even that option (checked luggage) is not available for Lordsburg or Deming ("the service available offers carry-on only"), only at major stations like Tucson. So Amtrak offers only the rather useless "foldable bike as carry-on" option (or, as Bruce Giroux did before, ship your bike separately and just put yourself on the train in Lordsburg). 

what a PITA. thanks for all the research. i'm sobo and if amtrak is needed upon extraction, now i know to ship the bike.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #644 on: March 07, 2011, 08:01:21 AM
KootenayB

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 07, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »

Flathead snowpack info can be inferred from this station, located near the Elk Valley/Flathead divide.  The info is moisture in snow pack, but it gives you an idea re: this year's snow pack vs. average, last year, etc.  http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/data/asp/realtime/asp_pages/asp_2c09q.html

Last week's snowfall (~1.1 metres) was not reflected in the graph last time I checked.  Snow depth at Fernie Alpine Resort is ~3.5 metres at 1650 m elevation, much more than last year at this time.  http://www.skifernie.com/conditions/snow-report.aspx

March is traditionally a big snow month in this area, and basically snowfall over the next 6 weeks and how spring shapes up (warm, rain on snow events, etc.) will greatly determine if snow is an issue come TD time.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #645 on: March 07, 2011, 04:13:37 PM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 07, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »

I'm researching snow shoes.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #646 on: March 08, 2011, 08:19:57 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: March 08, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »

FWIW, there's still a foot of snow in my backyard right now.  At 3100'.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #647 on: March 09, 2011, 12:41:27 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: March 09, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »

I'm researching snow shoes.

Heh, snowshoes may be a bit much Smiley but something like microspikes, or even the coiled springs that attached to the soles of your foot with a flexible rubber and a strap may be good enough to help get some traction on some ice/snow passes - would be cleat-compatible, too. Well under a pound of extra baggage and you could send them home after the last major pass w/snow or something.

Was hoping to good view from a high point in Breck yesterday but, uh,

Ran into a snow shower. South Park looks pretty much dry, but there's enough snow in Breck around 11,000 feet to post hole up to my neck in the drifts.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #648 on: March 09, 2011, 10:54:51 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: March 09, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »

I was reading over the Addenda last night and I am curious if anyone can verify this cue; From section 1 map A; At mile 216.6 FR 9814 is closed do to logging. You will need to detour onto State Hwy 83 at mile 210.1, minimal shoulder......  But there is nothing about where to get back on route, and is this still current? This is from the bc-201 09 addenda. I looked on the map and there are a few ways to get back on route, none seem super obvious. Thanks Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #649 on: March 09, 2011, 11:07:40 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 09, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »

I was reading over the Addenda last night and I am curious if anyone can verify this cue; From section 1 map A; At mile 216.6 FR 9814 is closed do to logging. You will need to detour onto State Hwy 83 at mile 210.1, minimal shoulder......  But there is nothing about where to get back on route, and is this still current? This is from the bc-201 09 addenda. I looked on the map and there are a few ways to get back on route, none seem super obvious. Thanks Jefe

I mentioned this to Matthew via email and here was his reply:

"Bob, I do not have the map in front of me but i assume this refers to the once classic grassy fireroad that got logged all to hell last spring. It was in pretty bad shape when i went through this past year. It would be a muddy mess in the rain.

i would be inclined to tell folks to keep on keeping on and just trudge thru if it looks as it did when we rode thru in june 2010. it's not very long (less than 2mi)."

Bob

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #650 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:41 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »

I was reading over the Addenda last night and I am curious if anyone can verify this cue; From section 1 map A; At mile 216.6 FR 9814 is closed do to logging. You will need to detour onto State Hwy 83 at mile 210.1, minimal shoulder......  But there is nothing about where to get back on route, and is this still current? This is from the bc-201 09 addenda. I looked on the map and there are a few ways to get back on route, none seem super obvious. Thanks Jefe

That's a shame. That's a beautiful section of abandoned-road-turned-singletrackish. It looks like either Clearwater Lake Loop Road or Morrel-Clearwater Road heads back up from SH 83 to the route past FS 9814, the latter being the most direct route. The powers that be (either ACA or TD...) will have to clarify this one, though. Good catch, Jefe.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #651 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:03 AM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:03 AM »

That's a shame. That's a beautiful section of abandoned-road-turned-singletrackish. It looks like either Clearwater Lake Loop Road or Morrel-Clearwater Road heads back up from SH 83 to the route past FS 9814, the latter being the most direct route. The powers that be (either ACA or TD...) will have to clarify this one, though. Good catch, Jefe.

I noticed this too - i hope ACA isn't recommending to miss Richmond Peak and do hwy to Seely Lake??

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #652 on: March 09, 2011, 12:29:40 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: March 09, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »

I am just glad I wasn't confused, I mean I get the detour, but to where? No indication as to were to go from there, I am fine plunging thru the muck of skidder tracks, but would hate to piss off some chainsaw weilding loggers! Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #653 on: March 09, 2011, 01:02:51 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: March 09, 2011, 01:02:51 PM »

I just talked to a few folks from Flathead National Forest and they assured me the road is currently open and will be this summer.

March is traditionally a big snow month in this area, and basically snowfall over the next 6 weeks and how spring shapes up (warm, rain on snow events, etc.) will greatly determine if snow is an issue come TD time.

Here is where I check the snowpack for Montana and Midaho: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/

Not to much on-route stuff, but gives a decent idea of what the current snow pack is like. Also historical data.

The Grave Creek SNOTEL is probably the most relevant site in Montana for the race:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=500&state=mt

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #654 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:40 PM
bgiro

Location: On a long a low elevation rail trail, East of Omaha..

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »

Do we have an estimated time for the 'official GPS track' availablity?  I remember it was going to be posted on Scott's website topofusion sometime soon.

Bruce G.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #655 on: March 10, 2011, 06:26:11 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 10, 2011, 06:26:11 AM »

Chemical water purification: I am confused with the options. I am looking for something simple, like a single tablet per liter. I don't mind waiting for it to work, say, 1 hour.

Thanks !

Jeff

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #656 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:53 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »

Chemical water purification: I am confused with the options. I am looking for something simple, like a single tablet per liter. I don't mind waiting for it to work, say, 1 hour.

Thanks !

Jeff

There was a huge discussion of this I think in Tour Divide Basics last year.  Bottom line is that Crypto is pretty resistant to chemicals, but lots of folks use the tablets anyway.  However, most tablets require a 4 hour wait.  The fast guys mostly carry what they need from safe source to safe source and don't have to purify surface water very often.

Bob

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #657 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:21 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:21 AM »

Recent thread at: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,1857.0.html

"Done"

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #658 on: March 10, 2011, 10:25:57 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 10, 2011, 10:25:57 AM »

OK, Having read all that I'm going with Aqua Mira Tabs, and try to wait 4 hours unless it is warm out. And I'm bringing the sawyer filter I used last year.

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #659 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:30 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »

OK, Having read all that I'm going with Aqua Mira Tabs, and try to wait 4 hours unless it is warm out. And I'm bringing the sawyer filter I used last year.
Because water weighs a lot!!

Jeff Tomassetti
  Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 62
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: