Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #940 on: May 17, 2011, 07:43:45 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 17, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »

...southern Whitefish range.  The details of that drainage aren't exactly comparable to Red Meadow, but it should be noted that I had snowshoes on all the way down to 4000'.  Below 4000' all the snow was gone.
4K' is pretty spot on with Grave Creek / Trail Creek in the northern end, as well as the west side of Red Meadow--hard to say about the back side. Big thanks to local bikepacker Todd Tanner at IRideAdventures.com for scouting for us. All are snowmachine routes, which makes coverage stick around longer. Severity of slides are an unknown too. Those passes top out at about 55/5600. Galton, just into Canada, is 6K, so it too will be pretty challenging. It peaks sharply. Coverage will be shorter distance-wise and steeper.

Mild cooling trend on the way for NW MT with great uncertainty about the long range forecast models. Flathead River's projected crest at the US border has been pushed back about 5 days to approx. 6/7.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #941 on: May 17, 2011, 07:59:21 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #941 on: May 17, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »

Ha, If I was doing the TDR Banff start this yr right about now I would be prep’ing a S-N back up data cheat sheet.  This looks to be great S-N yr

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #942 on: May 17, 2011, 08:09:28 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 17, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »

Ha, If I was doing the TDR Banff start this yr right about now I would be prep’ing a S-N back up data cheat sheet.  This looks to be great S-N yr
Do I detect a slight resentment in your humor for losing the right to say you raced the most epic snow edition ever? SoBos should def. get a patch this year.

Not to fear, though. TD is prepared to legalize the ACA Fernie Alternate as a way to lessen the blow. It doesn't mean riders can't travel the main race route throughout, only that TD will not DQ a rider who opts around the Flathead.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #943 on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:57 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »

I knew post-holing up 14ers during snow storms this winter would be good training! I knew it! Now, how to bring my plastic mountaineering boots on the ride...

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #944 on: May 17, 2011, 08:37:04 PM
mr cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 17, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »

My brother has a cabin near Eureka.  He told me a couple weeks ago there was still a lot of snow on the mountains compared to the last couple of years. But you never know it could warm up there and melt off a bit. As the saying goes for Montana, wait five minutes and the weather will change.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #945 on: May 17, 2011, 09:46:54 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: May 17, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »

Do I detect a slight resentment in your humor for losing the right to say you raced the most epic snow edition ever? SoBos should def. get a patch this year.

Not to fear, though. TD is prepared to legalize the ACA Fernie Alternate as a way to lessen the blow. It doesn't mean riders can't travel the main race route throughout, only that TD will not DQ a rider who opts around the Flathead.

My only resentment is I will not be able to do the 2011 TDR in either direction (with or with out snow options)

Anyway I did not think 2010 was a big deal ‘snow’ wise.  In fact I enjoyed it.  For me it was a small equalizer, unlike pure ride time, I can walk the snow as fast or faster than most.

But actually I was serious about the S-N being something any Banff starter might give serious thought to for this yr.  Still time to change drop off-pick up plans. Enough are signed up for the S-N to ensure a good ‘Grand/Group’ start and head to head race etc etc.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #946 on: May 17, 2011, 11:55:15 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: May 17, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for all that you are doing for the race despite the new kiddo and all. When can we expect that the TD will make the final decision about the Fernie alternate (and other changes)? I'm only asking because I will be traveling sans computer/electronics and I therefore will not be able to change any tracks in my GPS once I leave for Banff.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #947 on: May 18, 2011, 07:25:40 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 18, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for all that you are doing for the race despite the new kiddo and all. When can we expect that the TD will make the final decision about the Fernie alternate (and other changes)? I'm only asking because I will be traveling sans computer/electronics and I therefore will not be able to change any tracks in my GPS once I leave for Banff.
Pops, we understand this dilemma and it's unfortunate. Information / TD advice about pass-ability may be in limbo as late as days before the grand depart. Why? We want very much for all challengers to have the chance to log an official TD time; one that can count towards the historical GC. Two years in a row without any official times will suck (fire detour last year).

We are not as concerned about getting a track to folks for the Fernie Alternate (if we decide to make it a permissible detour). It's an official ACA alternate on the Canada map. It is a straightforward alternate (mostly paved) to the border. No one should be racing on GPS alone, so make sure you carry the ACA cue narrative for the Fernie alternate. The second area TD may permit a detour is just south of Eureka, MT. We are hoping to make a call on it as soon as possible. It is also a fairly straightforward bypass. More by the end of the week.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #948 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38:17 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »

I'm only asking because I will be traveling sans computer/electronics and I therefore will not be able to change any tracks in my GPS once I leave for Banff.

Don't forget that it's possible to upload tracks for the 'official' TD course and potentially permissible alternates ahead of time...then you're covered either way.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #949 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:22 AM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »

Which is exactly what I'd prepped before Scott released the official track yesterday. I'd already got the 2011 route mapped out, but I also have the fernie alternative and the NM official route sections mapped.

Matt, I was looking forward to mountaineering on Whitefish Divide and then Red Meadow if we skipped the Canadian Flathead Cheesy

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #950 on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:58 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »

...have the chance to log an official TD time; one that can count towards the historical GC. Two years in a row without any official times will suck (fire detour last year)...

Hi Matthew,

Could you expand on this reasoning a bit more?  It seems to me that no two years are ever exactly comparable, so why not simply say that those who follow the official track FOR THAT YEAR have "official" times for GC and record purposes?  After all, the "Fernie Alternate" was the official track a few years ago and the route changes year to year in both road conditions (paving, deterioration) and routing.  This is before even considering advances in equipment over previous years.  Just wondering!

Bob

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #951 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:27 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »

Hi Matthew,

Could you expand on this reasoning a bit more?  It seems to me that no two years are ever exactly comparable, so why not simply say that those who follow the official track FOR THAT YEAR have "official" times for GC and record purposes?  After all, the "Fernie Alternate" was the official track a few years ago and the route changes year to year in both road conditions (paving, deterioration) and routing.  This is before even considering advances in equipment over previous years.  Just wondering!

Bob
Bob, I'd rather not get into a debate over it until more is known about a plan, but suffice it to say there may be two 'legal' tracks of vastly different difficulty in play for 2011. The hiccup, IMO is not so much year-to-year comparisons.

The Fernie alternate is nearly all pavement. It changes not, in a high snow year. The Flathead is a whole different story. It's all dirt, contains 2 fords, an extended hike-a-bike and 3 passes over 6K. The discrepancy will be the greatest ever in 2011.

Already numerous riders have stated they intend to trudge through the Flathead no matter what. The big question is whether TD, which for all intents and purposes is simply an 'academy' of Divide racing, would be acting responsibly to mandate riders take the Flathead or be relegated. As much as i always prefer black & white, my inclination is towards a softer solution for this case...

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #952 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:24 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »

X-post from another TD thread: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2104.msg19496.html#msg19496

Use this link to be processed with the discount: http://banffairporter.com/tour-divide/

My Banff Airporter Shuttle driver in 2005 took me out on the town the night arrived, put me up at his place, and BA has been taking good care of TD riders ever since.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #953 on: May 18, 2011, 12:07:46 PM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 18, 2011, 12:07:46 PM »

As Matthew has mentioned above I am sure the team behind TD racing have safety of the riders at the forefront of the minds.  I was talking about this with another racer last week and wondered if the race may allow the Fernie alternative but put an asterisk next to riders using that route if conditions did not improve.

Coming from a place that rarely see's snow I would probably take the Fernie alt if an option - but I am equally ready (or is that unready?) for anything.

Did an English coast to coast in 26 hours starting yesterday - my average speed dropped on the easy second stage which is a worry.  However I got up a climb that I walked about 4 years ago - and carrying a bit more kit as well.  All is perhaps not lost.

I will put my trust in the organisers and for me as long as I know what I am doing the night before the start I will be satisfied - map reading is great fun anyway.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #954 on: May 18, 2011, 12:13:02 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 18, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »

Many will be in route as much as a week (or more) prior to the start.... i'm hoping final desicions are made about route changes at least that far out so that communication is never in doubt. this forum is great and email is good too... but when i'm on the road to the start it'll be too late for those communication tools.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #955 on: May 18, 2011, 01:49:32 PM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 18, 2011, 01:49:32 PM »

So, for all us SOBO riders, I am going to snow on the NOBO riders parade a bit. 

Here is a webcam of the top of Peak 8 in Breck.  It is about the same height and just across the Breck valley from Boreas Pass, which we will go through.  http://www.allsummitcounty.com/webcams/top_peak_8.php  If you have ridden in the Breck100 or  Breck Epic, you get to ride through Wheeler Pass, which is between Peak 8 and 9 of Beaver Creek. 

Oh, and there is snow forecasted in Breck for the next 3 days.

We didn't want you to feel like you would be missing out.  Smiley

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #956 on: May 18, 2011, 02:23:07 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 18, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »

Many will be in route as much as a week (or more) prior to the start.... i'm hoping final desicions are made about route changes at least that far out so that communication is never in doubt. this forum is great and email is good too... but when i'm on the road to the start it'll be too late for those communication tools.
Rob, sorry for the indecision. Just make sure you carry the Fernie Alternate and you should be pretty good. Here it is if you don't have it: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AkjYTTBAyG5KdDVZRTlvdUhJZk9LZ0FITEZzaG43NFE&output=html

I am much more concerned about the commitment / remoteness, and low-ish position of humans on the food chain in the Canadian Flathead than I am Whitefish Divide.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:50:20 PM by Mathewsen » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #957 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:28 PM
Nathan Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #957 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »

I found a kml for the proper continental divide for the US, it's pretty cool to see the overlaps.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10683&filename=21537-Geology%20-%20USA,%20Continental%20Divide.kml

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #958 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:38 PM
tlideen

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »

hey guys i am doing my cue sheets and just a dumb question if you don't mind helping me figure out. when i purchased the narratives and they are saved i get the following: "GDCanada A 2010" "GDCanada B 2010" "GDMBR 1A 2011" "GDMB 1B 2011" you can guess the remaining 10 files and how they are shown (2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, and so on). I am retyping them in an easy way for ME, but should i be using both GDCanada A and B? also, the GDMBR files from the boarder, what is the A and B? this is probably a dumb question but i am just doing everything i can to make navigating as straight forward as possible. i would appreciate any help. thanks!

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #959 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14:33 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »

hey guys i am doing my cue sheets and just a dumb question if you don't mind helping me figure out. when i purchased the narratives and they are saved i get the following: "GDCanada A 2010" "GDCanada B 2010" "GDMBR 1A 2011" "GDMB 1B 2011" you can guess the remaining 10 files and how they are shown (2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, and so on). I am retyping them in an easy way for ME, but should i be using both GDCanada A and B? also, the GDMBR files from the boarder, what is the A and B? this is probably a dumb question but i am just doing everything i can to make navigating as straight forward as possible. i would appreciate any help. thanks!
Each GDMBR Section Map has a Side A & a Side B. On all sections, Map Side A is north of Map Side B.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
  Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: