Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #140 on: December 26, 2015, 05:30:34 PM
FullFat

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »

I'm a 2016 Rookie, looking for a little help (like many others)

-Does anyone know where I can find a google style map with the TD GPS overlay? (Home study)
-Has anyone submitted their letter of intent yet?
-Does any one have  a link to a snow pack map?

I have most of my gear sorted, working on travel and logistics right now, and of course training. Lots of training....

One gear, one country, one GOD.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #141 on: December 26, 2015, 05:41:53 PM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2015, 05:41:53 PM »

-Does anyone know where I can find a google style map with the TD GPS overlay? (Home study)

upload your gpx in here and select the map output you were after

gpsvisualizer.com

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #142 on: December 26, 2015, 08:38:15 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »

Older map is: www.eatsleepridegreatdivide.com

Newer map (from memory) is: www.td15-eatsleepridegreatdivide.com or very similar to that

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #143 on: December 26, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »

Snow: http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/snow-ice-cover.html
https://www.ccin.ca/home/sites/default/files/snow/snow_tracker/plot_anom_sdep.png
http://www.snowforecast.com/
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/index.html

Simply import the TD GPX route, translated to KML, into Google Earth and you can fly along it.

GPS Map Tip: Don't use a map underlay when racing! Use only the route line on a blank background. LOTS easier, not cluttered!

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #144 on: December 28, 2015, 12:09:52 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »

Newer map (from memory) is: www.td15-eatsleepridegreatdivide.com or very similar to that

2015 map for desktop race planning:

http://td-2015.eatsleepridegreatdivide.com/

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 12:24:36 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 12:24:36 AM »

-Has anyone submitted their letter of intent yet?

-Does any one have  a link to a snow pack map?

Letters of intent - yes, it's time to start sending them in. (tourdivide@gmail.com)

Snow - This link gives detailed information for snow levels at Graves Creek at 4300 feet and just west of Whitefish Divide summit (approx. 5250 elevation):
http://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGenerator/view/customSingleStationReport/daily/500:MT:SNTL%7cid=%22%22%7cname/-29,0/WTEQ::value,WTEQ::median_1981,WTEQ::pctOfMedian_1981,SNWD::value,PREC::value,PREC::average_1981,PREC::pctOfAverage_1981,TMAX::value,TMIN::value,TAVG::value

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #146 on: December 30, 2015, 09:15:39 PM
Rob.b

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »

I've sent my letter of intent, the reply from Matthew was that I had jumped the gun a little but was ok with that. The start date is June 10th!.. Rob

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #147 on: December 31, 2015, 04:44:03 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »

OK, so its New Years Eve here in Fernie, and I though I should mention that I'm riding from Banff two days before the Grand Depart in 2016 (as I did in 2011) as I want to get to Boulton Creek store before the vultures descend and strip the shelves bare.

Also, I want to get to Sparwood and there still be a motel bed available still as I won't start as fast as the loons out there!

Planning to be in Fernie from 20th ish May to do some final training and adjusting to altitude  (I live on an Island) and make use of the great bike shops here in town.

Happy training to all.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #148 on: January 02, 2016, 07:24:50 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2016, 07:24:50 PM »

I have a question about tires. How many people change the tires during the route? Maybe in steamboat? Around 1500 miles?
What tires are you using and why?
Thoughts on Schawble racing Ralph's 2.25?

Thanks guys!

The difficult you're suppose to do right away.
The impossible that will take a few days longer.
-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #149 on: January 03, 2016, 12:06:03 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2016, 12:06:03 AM »

Ahh,...... the tire subject. Lots of choices. You should choose a tire that rolls good, feels stable in gravel, durable and reasonably light. Tubeless is the way to go but make sure you have dialed in before you start. The RR is a light weight racing tire for cross country; It would not be my first choice for the divide but people have used it and have had success with it. Not sure what the front guys and girls are using these days but in old days ML swore by the Nano Raptor from WTB. I personally love the Vittoria(GEAX) Saguaro 2,2. It wears like iron, rolls nice and smooth, feels stable in gravel and is fairly puncture resistant set up tubeless. I use the normal version, not the TNT.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #150 on: January 03, 2016, 07:28:38 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »

Wonder how many racers will switch over to the new Teravail Sparwood. Looks like a fast roller and Jay P seemed to like them in 2015.

http://teravail.com/tires/off-road

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #151 on: January 03, 2016, 07:32:43 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2016, 07:32:43 AM »

Wonder how many racers will switch over to the new Teravail Sparwood. Looks like a fast roller and Jay P seemed to like them in 2015.

http://teravail.com/tires/off-road

From that website's description:

"Intentional tread design for maximum traction, rolling resistance and puncture protection"

Maximum traction and puncture protection are great, but hopefully they do NOT have maximum rolling resistance!

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #152 on: January 03, 2016, 07:39:53 AM
gotchile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2016, 07:39:53 AM »

I started with maxxis ikons, in Salida I rotated front to rear, installed a specialized fast trak on the front. The rear possibly would have made it to AW, but didn't want to chance it.  Next time, I'd look at the sparwood, but I'd not hesitate to use any of the ones used.  I had NO issues with flats.

http://www.bucketride.bike
#TD15
Pain is temporary, quitting is forever

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #153 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:35 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »

How many people change the tires during the route? Maybe in steamboat? Around 1500 miles?
What tires are you using and why?

Sandstorm - you should read this: Volume 7 of the Cordillera is now available for purchase from lulu.com: http://tinyurl.com/cordillera-7.
60% of responders rode on one set of tyres.
40% of responders used Maxxis.

The past couple of years TD threads have a lot on tyres. Craig Stappleton summed it up concisely: "I ran the lightest tires that I thought would be reliable".

FWIW: I'm riding Maxxis Ikon 2.35 on a Stans Arch Ex on a rigid 27.5 and will change the sealant in Steamboat or Salida.

How low of a tyre pressure are people running? I'm thinking 22 psi in 2.35 Ikons.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #154 on: January 03, 2016, 12:02:07 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2016, 12:02:07 PM »

Kiwidave-
I've ordered the cordillera it's probable sitting at home. While i'm still away for the holiday. Looking forward to getting into that book.
Copy the Stans refill. I will do that in Steamboat, i've spent a lot of time there so it shouldn't be a problem picking some up in one of there many bike shops. I will also carry at least one small bottle with me.
I did read in some older forums about Maxxis having problems with Stans sealant. Something with the chemical compound. It was several years old. Can anyone comment on that? Is it still an issue?
I'm interested in the WTB Nano, looks like a good tire. But I also can appreciate using what has already been proven by other riders.
I agree with the lightest tire with most reliability, but never having ridden the divide i'm not sure what the terrain will be. My only real concern with tires is damaging the side wall. I think punctures, while aggravating, can be dealt with.
I never pay to much attention to what i'm riding on at home... when they're flat I fix them. When they get to worn out I get new ones..
I'm getting a new Fargo, trying to decide if i should run the stock tires for the divide or swap them out. (I do plan on putting on a fresh set before i fly out)

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #155 on: January 03, 2016, 12:16:18 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »

Kiwidave-
I've ordered the cordillera it's probable sitting at home. While i'm still away for the holiday. Looking forward to getting into that book.
Copy the Stans refill. I will do that in Steamboat, i've spent a lot of time there so it shouldn't be a problem picking some up in one of there many bike shops. I will also carry at least one small bottle with me.
I did read in some older forums about Maxxis having problems with Stans sealant. Something with the chemical compound. It was several years old. Can anyone comment on that? Is it still an issue?
I'm interested in the WTB Nano, looks like a good tire. But I also can appreciate using what has already been proven by other riders.
I agree with the lightest tire with most reliability, but never having ridden the divide i'm not sure what the terrain will be. My only real concern with tires is damaging the side wall. I think punctures, while aggravating, can be dealt with.
I never pay to much attention to what i'm riding on at home... when they're flat I fix them. When they get to worn out I get new ones..
I'm getting a new Fargo, trying to decide if i should run the stock tires for the divide or swap them out. (I do plan on putting on a fresh set before i fly out)

I love my nanos, but the new ones have sidewalls thin as the wings of a butterfly, so it really depends on your riding style.  I'm pretty conservative, so tears and slices have never been an issue for me.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #156 on: January 03, 2016, 01:30:00 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »

Continental Race Kings 2.2 front and back. Low rolling resistance - tubeless. Changed to Race King 'Protection' on rear in Steamboat, although probably didn't need to. Came into race with 1/3 worn tires. Front and back still going strong after another 1500 training miles post-race.

Think low rolling resistance first, and keep 'em pumped up. This is a road race.

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #157 on: January 03, 2016, 05:22:30 PM
boatmana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »

I carried reference sheets that showed where towns were and the topography printed on rite in the rain paper. They are colored by grade and are annotated with distance to the town after next (the number after the POI name). I always brought enough food to reach the next town which saved my butt a couple of times when I got in late or stores didn't exist and I had to press on.

The rule of thumb that I used was that I would travel about 9.5mph overall average and I need 325 calories per hour to not bonk. Divide the distance to the town after by 9.5 and multiply by 325 and you have estimated calories needed during riding. I would throw in 750 calories for night time recovery if I would be sleeping before the next pit stop and 600 calories for breakfast.

I used this in conjunction with a spreadsheet of town details to make adjustments on how much food to bring. For example I would bring less if there was guaranteed to be 24 hour grocery or restaurants.

I really liked having the grade and climb information since it allowed me to reasonably estimate if I would reach a town before nightfall. Do note that having that information can be maddening.

Gallery with full size reference images laid out to print on letter size paper at the following link:
http://imgur.com/a/FI1bj

NOTE: There are a few places I missed on these reference images Most notably the brush mountain lodge and the Montana High Country Lodge. Those were nice surprises. Also some of the places are off route such as Big Fork and Seeley Lake.

Oh one other NOTE: The red, orange, yellow line below the elevation profiles is the grizzly density from the grizzly maps posted on these forums some time ago. I used this when making camping decisions.

This is really cool, nerdy but super cool.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #158 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:57 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:57 AM »

Long range weather forecast looks good for Canada / Montana re: snow. Colorado could be interesting for NOBO's. Wyoming could be wetter than normal (Bannock Rd!).

These NOAA forecast maps are useful:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions//multi_season/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #159 on: January 07, 2016, 06:39:43 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »

I'm looking into tires. The Maxxis Ikon seams to be the popular tire out there.
Looking at the specs on the tire there are several versions of the same tire.

3c, exo, and tr.
my guess is it has something to do with the compound of the rubber and or sidewalls. I do not see a break down on the website of what these are.
Can anyone tell me what those abbreviations are for?

Thanks!
Got my Cordillera in the mail today! Enjoying it so far!

-Edward keeylocko
  Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: