Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #320 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:25 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »

Jesse, you managed to describe the last day to a "T". I as well got to the point where no amount of planning, preparation, batteries, caffeine, or even iron determination can make you carry on, force your eyes to focus, keep your swaying body going straight. I was just walking my bike, not even sure where I was and to a degree who I was. Everything became forward motion, all else was a negative, stopping to put in new brake pads, putting on and taking off my rain coat, etc, etc, etc all became terrible  unforgivable distractions. The focus to not stop, always forward had warped my mind. I forced myself to sleep for 15 minutes around the Cape of Good Hope, I was so unwilling to stop the train that had taken over my world. Somehow that 15 minutes worked. But man did that section change things.
Time will tell if I am still interested in pushing myself this hard again, I am glad I did it, but it wasn't all that fun, for me the difference between a 5-ish day CTR and a 4-ish day CTR is having a lot less fun and spending a bit too much time in the pain cave. Congratulation to all who finish, this was my 4th CTR finish, my 5th start and something like my 10th trip along this path, it is not easy, it never feels easy, and it always puts things in perspective. I believe Jesse said it well, like feeling very small amongst huge mountains, and dinosaurs! I am honored by the fact that I was able to stay ahead of such amazing athletes, such as Ethan and Jesse, both of which had amazing rides out there. Not to mention the fact that the field of this race gets faster every year, hard to believe just 6 years ago I won it with a time of 5d, 5.5hrs! Great folks out there to, I got to ride with Kurt? Dan, Max and Matt, all of whom were riding so well and were great people to share the trail with. Well I need to coffee and breakfast, good to be home, take care everyone, Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #321 on: August 05, 2012, 12:35:36 PM
cat morrison

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »

Hi everyone!  I wanted to type a quick note just to say thanks for all the love and support from all of you!  Thanks for cheering all of us on out there, it helps even though we can't hear you (although I'm pretty sure I heard a lot of voices).  The main words I have to sum up my experience are, sleep deprivation.  I don't know why I didn't sleep but it was a poor choice and sort of back fired on me, live and learn.  Thank you to the hiker who gave my spot to Fred who then gave it to me.  I did think for a while it was in my bag and I just thought I lost it but after checking the same pocket 20 times, I decided it was definitely lost.  I rode as hard and fast as I could while trying to stay awake.  When I got tired, there was nothing I can do short of crashing so I had to pull off and go horizontal for mini naps until I woke up shivering and got back on the bike only to fall asleep 10 minutes later.  The last night was brutal, the lack of sleep was torture.  I wanted to push through more than I can tell you but just physically could not do it.  I was so delirious I forgot which way I was going on the trail and after my little bivy I turned back and went the way I'd come from, doh!  That was so frustrating.  I came undone Saturday morning descending Kennebac, in every which way.  Life was hard for a while in so many ways, physically, emotionally, mentally.....I was in the cave of pain and I wished to be airlifted to the finish. You think the last 20 miles will be easy before you start a 500 mile race but the truth is when you're there you're so done that it's hard to feel the "good".  I took a couple generic Excedrin on the last bit making riding possible again and surged as fast as I could knowing slower meant longer and more pain.  My mood turned around and I realized that I was about to finish one of the hardest races for the fourth time and although it wasn't the timed I hoped, dreamed and trained for I couldn't deny myself the success of my efforts.

At the moment typing is difficult so I'm going to stop.  My face looks like I've been punched in the eye and the edema in my legs makes me look like I'm 9 months pregnant; so, I look like a beat up pregnant woman...nice look, let me tell you.  I'm happy to be eating and hanging out with friends, Chris Miller, and Eszter (current CTR female record holder---thank you for setting the bar so high) who happens to be on a ride following an awesome breakfast!  Staying with my Durango friends, Kelly and Jude (I love and thank you guys for EVERYTHING you do for me, awesome beyond words) and about to go soak my legs in their creek then swim in the pond.  CTR recovery is rough!

Love and thanks to you all!  Congrats to Jefe, Ethan, and Jesse for breaking the record, I didn't think it was possible and  you guys took it to such a whole new level.

I'll write more when I can think properly.   

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #322 on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:46 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »

Calls: Nicole Munoz called in to say she is OUT! And Barry Ritchie called in leaving Silverton. He left late so he could fuel up!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #323 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:36 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »

Not that I was in the race even, but I just had to bail from breck due to a busted rear deraileur hanger. I'm hooked on the CT though, and already planning how to do it better next year. I learned a lot and will see you all on the trail next summer. Good luck to everyone still on the course.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #324 on: August 05, 2012, 04:04:33 PM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »

Jesse,

Myself and Chris hung out at Spring Creek pass during the hailstorm you spoke about. It was my second time waiting out a storm in a portapotty (the doorway) while trying to down some food that day. It was crazy enough to cause drivers to pull over and let the roads clear. I wondered if the leaders would push through all rain and hail. Chris said, yeah Ethan's crazy. Just 30 mins before it started some ITT guys started section 22 and must have been getting pounded. I figured Max was somewhere around 5-10 hours ahead and getting pounded. When it came to getting wet I was conservative as I remember how much it can wipe out your energy. Dan showed up at the end of the storm and had just gotten rained on but not too badly. It's all a matter of where you were.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:12:21 PM by Matt Schiff » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #325 on: August 05, 2012, 04:06:40 PM
Fettis

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »

Just need to say well done Alan Goldsmith! Look fwd to hearing how it went.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #326 on: August 05, 2012, 04:11:45 PM
Matt Schiff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »

To anyone who found a monster energy balaclava perhaps 5 miles past Marshal Pass , it's history began with high performance go cart racing in Sacramento California (which is basically like DH racing for 10 minutes straight) and made it onto my gear list because it looks bad ass and was only 35% cotton so it shouldn't really kill me. I'm sad to see it go, RIP.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:15:20 PM by Matt Schiff » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #327 on: August 05, 2012, 08:23:34 PM
Rick Callies

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »

Oh man, storming hard -hate to be out there now. Those riders still going are so impressive, it has to be dark, cold, scary up on Indian Ridge right now!

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #328 on: August 05, 2012, 10:12:33 PM
nepbug

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 05, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »

Nick Patzer back here on the comforts of my couch.  Feeling good, no sore muscles or nether regions, just some slightly tingly fingers.  I can't wait to take the bike out for a ride again, I stripped all the gear off and it feels like a rocket spinning around the street!

The fact that DPH made it through 22 and 23 with only a few more calories than I had left makes me think I would've been fine as I was feeling stellar at the time anyways.  Oh well, no time to second-guess from the couch now.

It was definitely a great time, and I'd say of the 40+ racers I had some sort of conversation with, only 2 came across as people I wouldn't want to hang out with, but I won't hold it against them as the CTR can make you not yourself at times.

Congrats to the finishers and starters!

Lastly, if anyone found an off-white merino wool Buff headwear aroun the top of the climb out of BV, it's mine; I was bummed to have lost it the last 3 nights out there.

Ian, I think I have your spot, it's in 3 pieces, let me know if you want me to mail it to you.  I found it as I was going back up Slumgullion pass, you lost it a little earlier than you thought you did.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #329 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08:02 AM
Kurtis

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »

Any shuttles out there going from Durango to Denver?

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #330 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:22 AM
spoke537

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:22 AM »

I'll be headed back to Denver from Durango sometime Wed or Thurs, not sure yet.  I have room for 6 bikes and bodies in my truck, including mine.  If you are flexible and need a ride give me a call or text.

Les Handy
303-913-9831

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #331 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:07 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »

I need to get from Durango to Longmont/Boulder or greater Denver area Th or later. Either looking for a ride or can offer one (I do a one-way rental if needed). Totally flexible timewise from Thursday on, but can't travel before. I still have a hose in my chest, but I hope the. Surgeon takes it out tonight and I can leave the hospital tomorrow. If you have a ride to offer or need one yourself,my number at the Mercy Medical Center is 970 247 4311 x 1018. Or my Cell for sms: 310
612 3984.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #332 on: August 06, 2012, 09:26:09 AM
DanHickstein

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 06, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »

I left Durango at 5:15 am last Sunday and arrived at Waterton at 3:53 pm yesterday for a total time of 7d 10h 38m. What a great trip! Last year I rode southbound, so riding northbound this year was awesome. All of the beautiful sections that I rode at night last year were in full sunshine this year. But the best part was that I got to see the whole race pack surging past me towards Durango. It was great to meet all of you, check out the different bike/pack setups, and witness various levels of sleep-deprivation. I can believe how coherent Jefe was considering that he had been going 2.5 days on basically zero sleep. I'm looking forward to reading through all of these forum posts and catching up on the action that I missed. I'll try to get some photos up tonight.
Cheers, Dan

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #333 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:31 AM
TruthRider

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »

Does anyone know Jason Osborne?  As near as I can tell, he's the last active Waterton mass start rider, heading up towards Jarosa Mesa ... Go Jason.

Love the CTR.

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #334 on: August 06, 2012, 12:13:19 PM
VeloWidow

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 06, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »

Does anyone know Jason Osborne?  As near as I can tell, he's the last active Waterton mass start rider, heading up towards Jarosa Mesa ... Go Jason.

Love the CTR.

That would be my very determined husband. His main goal is just to complete CTR. I'm keeping a watchful eye on his progress too! Thanks for the virtual support.

Jenelle

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #335 on: August 06, 2012, 01:03:07 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: August 06, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »

Nice job, Dan. I had been the same plan, but you executed it better. I also  enjoyed last year at TD going the opposite direction (and it reduces congestion), but it sure didn't work out for me this year because of a silly mistake.

I left Durango at 5:15 am last Sunday and arrived at Waterton at 3:53 pm yesterday for a total time of 7d 10h 38m. What a great trip! Last year I rode southbound, so riding northbound this year was awesome. All of the beautiful sections that I rode at night last year were in full sunshine this year. But the best part was that I got to see the whole race pack surging past me towards Durango. It was great to meet all of you, check out the different bike/pack setups, and witness various levels of sleep-deprivation. I can believe how coherent Jefe was considering that he had been going 2.5 days on basically zero sleep. I'm looking forward to reading through all of these forum posts and catching up on the action that I missed. I'll try to get some photos up tonight.
Cheers, Dan

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #336 on: August 06, 2012, 02:39:08 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: August 06, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »

Calls: Mark Caminiti called in from Silverton. He’s hoping to finish tomorrow afternoon! And Toby Gadd called in from Durango with his finish!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #337 on: August 06, 2012, 07:36:53 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »

Calls: Dave Wilson called in from Ouray with his finish call. And Barry Ritchie called in to say he had to pull OUT. He had to bail after leaving Silverton due to time constraints.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #338 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:51 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »

Preliminary Results posted.  Will update as riders inform me of corrections.

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,4451.0.html

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2012 Race Discussion Reply #339 on: August 06, 2012, 10:03:58 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 06, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

I lost an iPhone 4S on the trail sometime yesterday evening in the last 15 minutes of Segment 28. It was inside a Ziplock bag. If anyone finds it or hears of anything about it I would appreciate the information.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: