Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:23 AM
mkomp

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:23 AM »

Can anyone help me find the latest GPS track data for download from the TOUR DIVIDE? I just bought a new GPS and am planning to be in on the June 11, 011 TDR.

Thanx  thumbsup

Michael Komp
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:13:47 AM by EatSleepRide » Logged

Michael Komp

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:24:32 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »

Here you go:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:29:45 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:29:45 AM »

My site:

http://topofusion.com/divide/gps.php

That has a TD specific file on it.  ACA is more focused on waypoint data (and it is very good data at that).  Most people find uploading a simplified track to be the easiest way to stay on route.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:46:00 AM
mkomp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »

Thanks much for the info.

Michael  thumbsup

Michael Komp

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18:53 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18:53 PM »

Make doubly sure that the track follows the 2011 GDMBR cues and corrections!  Just because you follow a track doesn't mean that it's the correct course...

I created my own track in Topofusion following the cues on the maps a couple years ago.  It's a slow exercise, but it'll put quite a bit of information in your head about the course. 

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:33:16 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »

Last summer I purchased a Garmin Vista hcx but still not got round to using it a lot except as a glorified bike computer.
If I download Scott's track can I assume it has the newish correction in the Ovando area.  Also, a general question:  do I need to buy a 100k map for my device?  Here in the UK they are fairly pricey as I would need 2 at £43 (~$70) each.  I assume I would not as the track will tell me if I am on the line or not, and I will be carrying the official maps anyway.  Thanks.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:48:07 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »

The track is all you really need, but it's nice to have the topo basemaps.  Check out the Garmin Mapsource CDs.  I think it's around $99US for some decent topos.  It's all I use.

But as I cautioned above, don't assume ANY of the detours are on Scott's track.  There are a few new changes over the past few years besides the Ovando one you mention, and there will be a few more for 2011 from the sound of it.  If you're going to be navigating using a track, you need to be 100% sure that it matches the most current cues and TD course changes exactly! Getting relegated for missing a short section of the course is not something anyone wants to deal with!

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:13:54 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »

Kurt's warning is spot on -- be sure the track is correct.  I did make a major overhaul to the track for 2010's TD that included all the reroutes and updates up to that point.  But even then, some of them were based on 'best guesses' in a few places, and comparing tracks of previous TDers.  So, use at your own risk, and best to go through the route and understand it, like Kurt suggests.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:29:34 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »

Thank you Kurt and Scott.  I do not feel 100% confident of the gps unit yet, something to work on in next few months, and far happier with maps so I will be using both.  I can see me using the gps as a backup to the maps and cues.  Will also look out for route changes in 2011.  Thank you again.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:40 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »

If you're going to be navigating using a track, you need to be 100% sure that it matches the most current cues and TD course changes exactly! Getting relegated for missing a short section of the course is not something anyone wants to deal with!
The above-hyperlinked TD track from Topofusion will be certified 'official' for 2011 by early February. There are two major, 1 minor route changes. Two mods are official ACA, one is purely a TD race route change. All changes should improve QOL and increase the singetrack quotient by a whopping 2,000%.

As Scott says, it's important to understand the route on paper. TD's official stance is, purchase the map set for study and/or (if you wish) navigation, purchase the digital files of the cue narrative for on-route navigation/custom notations (or as back-up to GPS), and most importantly, make the purchase to support ACA.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:27 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »

Thanks Matthew,  Already have the US maps  and Mike McCoy's book and will be ordering the Canadian map section shortly.  Also purchased the cues a couple of weeks ago.  Enjoyed looking at maps since I was about 10 and spent nearly 20 years orienteering all over the UK and Ireland - I feel reasonably comfortable with the maps part, its the new fangled gps where I am less certain!

Will wait for the certified track in Topofusion to be finalised before downloading.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:41:27 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »

Thank you Kurt and Scott.  I do not feel 100% confident of the gps unit yet, something to work on in next few months, and far happier with maps so I will be using both.  I can see me using the gps as a backup to the maps and cues.  Will also look out for route changes in 2011.  Thank you again.

Personally I think if someone is going to spend the time, money and effort to ‘race’ the TDR then one should seriously consider making the GPS the main (1st) navigation tool and the maps/cues the backup. (why put up with wasted map time and added bonus miles in a race?)

IMO for a TDR rookie to successfully pull this off two things are required. 

First become familiar with using your particular GPS unit and using gpx files/tracks—practice with some local routes/tracks till 100% comfortable with using your GPS as a navigation tool. 

Second do some form of the following--

Materials:
1)   ‘certified’ TDR gpx file (anyone can start today, why wait its great winter fun, with the current version and Goggle Earth )
2)   ACA maps and cues
3)   Garmin topo base & MapSource (and if you have it, TopoFusion, optional but much nicer for this exercise than Garmin’s program imo)
4)   Goggle Earth

Load the TDR gpx file onto Goggle Earth AND either Garmin’s MapSource or TopoFusion.  Then using the ACA maps, cues and the loaded tracks you can verify any and all questions about route changes and detours. 

Using this method you can also pre-plan day to day logistics, ie: water, food, shelter etc etc. 
Also you can cross check each and every physical location you might have 'read' about from past TDR racer's write ups

Anyway good luck with your prep and race!

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:08 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts and advice Marshal.  I 'know' I need to work out how my gps works.  I do have a couple of tracks and can get some more from a mate.  Limited riding in 2010 due to work and then mostly on the road I never bothered to get it understood.

I didn't think about getting started with the current TD file but it does make sense.  I also didn't know you could put a gpx file onto Google Earth (so much to learn!) so will look at this tomorrow.  I should have Mapsource with my unit but will look at the Topofusion website to see about purchasing or downloading it - a lot to do tomorrow.....

I did note one racer, can't recall who, say that if he did it again he would leave the gps at home and rely on maps and cues only!

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:02:33 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts and advice Marshal.  I 'know' I need to work out how my gps works.  I do have a couple of tracks and can get some more from a mate.  Limited riding in 2010 due to work and then mostly on the road I never bothered to get it understood.

I didn't think about getting started with the current TD file but it does make sense.  I also didn't know you could put a gpx file onto Google Earth (so much to learn!) so will look at this tomorrow.  I should have Mapsource with my unit but will look at the Topofusion website to see about purchasing or downloading it - a lot to do tomorrow.....

I did note one racer, can't recall who, say that if he did it again he would leave the gps at home and rely on maps and cues only!

I think there is a big 'fun' factor to using maps and ques, but it comes with a price.  At the end of the day one of the cool things about the TDR is all the different approaches.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 02:28:04 PM
DCrozier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »

Rookie question...I can't get the track to show in Google Earth.  I have the Tracks box checked.  I also can't zoom in using TopoFusion.  I get a message saying 'Download Disabled - Re-enable on Toolbar'  Any thoughts on what I'n going wrong on either of these applications?

Thanks.

Darren

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 02:52:30 PM
DCrozier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »

Ok....Got the track into Google Earth...So the overall idea is that you load the track into your portable GPS and then just ensure you follow the track while riding, is that correct?  If the GPS shows your location not on the track you know you've taken a wrong turn.  In the simplest turn is that how it work?

Thanks!

Darren

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 07:04:18 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »

Ok....Got the track into Google Earth...So the overall idea is that you load the track into your portable GPS and then just ensure you follow the track while riding, is that correct?  If the GPS shows your location not on the track you know you've taken a wrong turn.  In the simplest turn is that how it work?

Thanks!

Darren
I think you have the basic idea.  The “track” that is pre-loaded into you GPS unit is a series of ‘reference’ bread crumbs with their own individual sets of coordinates. 

As you and your GPS move down the route your GPS displays your real time position vs these bread crumbs. 

So as long as your real time position lay on top (follows/matches) the bread crumbs you are ‘on track’.  If your real position deviates from the reverence bread crumbs your display will indicate this within a few yards. 

So—long story short.
If you plan to use a GPS for a race you need to load up a local ‘track’ and then go practice following it.  Like anything worthwhile in life, proficiency comes thru practice
so go geek out and enjoy

(There are lots of display options to learn/play with, zoom, track colors, backlights, a realtime track displayed in conjunction with the pre-loaded track (I use this method of display) etc etc_

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:29:11 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »

The above-hyperlinked TD track from Topofusion will be certified 'official' for 2011 by early February. There are two major, 1 minor route changes. Two mods are official ACA, one is purely a TD race route change. All changes should improve QOL and increase the singetrack quotient by a whopping 2,000%.

As Scott says, it's important to understand the route on paper. TD's official stance is, purchase the map set for study and/or (if you wish) navigation, purchase the digital files of the cue narrative for on-route navigation/custom notations (or as back-up to GPS), and most importantly, make the purchase to support ACA.

Hey Matthew,

I'm a little confused - so one can follow either the ACA map route and addenda OR use the "official" GPS route from Topofusion?  It sounds like you were saying that there is a change on the Topofusion GPS route that will not be in the ACA maps?

Also, will the option of using the highway from the Peter Lougheed welcome center to the Boulton Creek Store instead of the bike path be in play again this year?

Bob

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:06 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »

Hey Matthew,

I'm a little confused - so one can follow either the ACA map route and addenda OR use the "official" GPS route from Topofusion?  It sounds like you were saying that there is a change on the Topofusion GPS route that will not be in the ACA maps?

Also, will the option of using the highway from the Peter Lougheed welcome center to the Boulton Creek Store instead of the bike path be in play again this year?

Bob
Bob: Yes, on a TD-exclusive route change in colorado, and yes on legal K-lake pave into Boulton creek. The bike path is awesome into B-creek, but there's a low-ish speed limit on it, with lots of blind curves, and it gets quite convoluted to nav. at times. My impression is that it is designed to service all the campgrounds placed along it, is not necessarily a great thru-route. It has bear problems from time-to-time also. AcA intended well by opting for it over the road, but for the biker clusters TD has ripping thru there at only 60mi into day 1, we're better off on the road

the TD-exclusive route change will get talked about later, but basically the plan is to rip 'Gold Dust trail' singletrack off boreas pass south of breck instead of descending the 4% graded boreas pass into como. Distance is the same, but it will probably take a bit longer on trail than fire road. There will be cues + GPS provided for nav.

Topic Name: GPX Tracks _ Tour Divide Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:32:57 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »

Great call on the Gold Dust addition. That will clearly be something to look forward to after the nauseating ride through the ski towns. How about an optional alternate route across the rock gardens of the Penitente Canyon singletrack network near the mouth of Carnero Canyon? icon_biggrin

Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: