Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #380 on: June 15, 2011, 08:56:51 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »

Jeffrey Tomassetti called in from Butte. He’s getting some recovery time. He also notes that they did come across Matt Porembski who appears to have suffered heat stroke. He reports Matt is doing better. Kurt Refsnider called in from Lima. He and Ethan were about to leave their hotel. Jake Kirkpatrick called in from Butte. And Sheila Reiter called in from Holland Lodge.

You can get the audio here, via RSS,  or on iTunes!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #381 on: June 15, 2011, 09:02:30 AM
Newfydog

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »

This race is still in its early days. It is much like the Tour De France was in the early 1900s.

And the Tour de France still does not have any sort of recognized "record time".  Some people note the average speed, but it is all irrelevant from year to year.  Time gaps are all that are recorded.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #382 on: June 15, 2011, 09:21:08 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: June 15, 2011, 09:21:08 AM »

"...and EP and KR are still riding together..."

People are going to start talking...

Just saying...

Hey, we're not out there...it gets cold... icon_biggrin

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #383 on: June 15, 2011, 09:31:45 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: June 15, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »

Wow, what a fun race to watch so far.  Having raced a few times against Jefe, Kurt and Ethan, I am particularly enjoying this one.  Man, Jefe is just *killing* it!  I've never known him to let other riders influence his race style/timing/sleep/etc and he always starts slow and builds momentum until he's an unstoppable runaway freight train by the end of any distance.  Both Kurt and Ethan are always out in front at the start of these races, so if this is Jefe's slow start, they are in for a big surprise!

On the other hand, when Kurt and Ethan do decide to drop the hammer, even if it's as far off as NM, Jefe will be *very* hard-pressed to hold them off.  Both of those guys have incredible speed that I just know they are waiting to unleash further into the course.  They are riding smart and not pushing each other too hard this early might give them the edge later on.  But geez, if Jefe keeps building his lead like he has been, there's a gonna be a big fight and we all have free tickets!  

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #384 on: June 15, 2011, 09:35:38 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 15, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »

Regarding records, this year's times will not make the TD aggregate (historical) GC. Last year's fire detour course only deviated by about 10-15 miles and a couple thousand feet of elevation gain, and it still didn't qualify for the aggregate GC. There's no need for the armchairs to get their panties ruffled over it. In epic weather editions like this year, what's most meaningful is the grand depart GC. No question this year's course can't be compared, so no sense in trying. Just enjoy the competition between the riders and be happy with that. Yep, Divide racing is in its nascence. There will be plenty of years to compare the relatively fixed course. The improvements made in the past couple years to the TD route have largely been comparable, save the Canadian Flathead, but that improvement HAD to be made in the name of long term route quality. In the very near future the substantive changes will settle down and the long-term comparisons will be more clean.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #385 on: June 15, 2011, 10:07:15 AM
Newfydog

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 15, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »

save the Canadian Flathead, but that improvement HAD to be made in the name of long term route quality.

Good job with the Flathead reroute.  When I lived it Fernie I was embarassed that the part of the course by my house wasn't up to the standards of the rest of the route.

Good to see the Fernie boy leading NOBO by a full Indiana Pass!  He's now into the best piece of real mountain biking on the Colorado leg.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:12:53 AM by Newfydog » Logged

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #386 on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:04 AM
Liz A

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:04 AM »

Definitely. He was pretty much telling me last night that he was going to call it quits, but i'm trying to convince him to take a day or two off, see how his neck feels, and maybe get back out there. So, we'll see.

Thanks - That's a tough decision to make. I think he likes cheeseburgers - maybe you can rig a stick to his helmet and hang a cheeseburger at the end of it, just out of reach. I bet that would keep him motivated Smiley (but only if his neck gets better).

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #387 on: June 15, 2011, 10:33:38 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 15, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »

would it not be more accurate to compare the miles covers against the % of elevation covered for the entire route. just a thought.

Yea, that's a good thought.  That sort of analysis is getting outside the bounds of bluedot and more in-line with trackleaders...but what the heck, the data is already there so why not Wink

To be sure Nobo and Sobo are 2 different events.  Even the route is different.  Raging waters and snow in the north vs. raging heat and smoke in the south, could the conditions be any different?  So any comparison between Nobo and Sobo efforts needs to be taken in that context.

Accumulated vert has been added to this list of stats and I'm using the full resolution track - so distances should be closer to actual as well.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #388 on: June 15, 2011, 11:18:21 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: June 15, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »

is looking forward to the Tour de France but let's face it, it's what ballet is to UFC compared to Tour Divide! :p

Quote from Joe Polk on his facecrack page

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #389 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:09 AM
mr cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »

Cadet is heading to Missoula?

I just noticed that he was there...anyone know why?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #390 on: June 15, 2011, 11:36:22 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 15, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »

Definitely. He was pretty much telling me last night that he was going to call it quits, but i'm trying to convince him to take a day or two off, see how his neck feels, and maybe get back out there. So, we'll see.

Take him over to the Fox Club.  Slip the gal at the entrance a twenty and tell her he has a sore neck.  That'll straighten him out.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #391 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:10 AM
aplummer

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »

i like it. i actually thought the results would have moved more of the Nobo up the ladder not down.

Yea, that's a good thought.  That sort of analysis is getting outside the bounds of bluedot and more in-line with trackleaders...but what the heck, the data is already there so why not Wink

To be sure Nobo and Sobo are 2 different events.  Even the route is different.  Raging waters and snow in the north vs. raging heat and smoke in the south, could the conditions be any different?  So any comparison between Nobo and Sobo efforts needs to be taken in that context.

Accumulated vert has been added to this list of stats and I'm using the full resolution track - so distances should be closer to actual as well.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #392 on: June 15, 2011, 12:04:13 PM
jimfab

Are those new slacks?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: June 15, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

GO Pete go!!!  headbang

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #393 on: June 15, 2011, 12:11:50 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: June 15, 2011, 12:11:50 PM »

is looking forward to the Tour de France but let's face it, it's what ballet is to UFC compared to Tour Divide! :p

Quote from Joe Polk on his facecrack page

I call it like I see it! No phones, no lights, no motor cars,  not a single luxury!  Okay, not exactly but there are no support rigs, sag cars, new steeds at the ready, and no stopping every night to party!  Well, maybe a little of that last one...

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #394 on: June 15, 2011, 12:21:55 PM
sluttyduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »

I call it like I see it! No phones, no lights, no motor cars,  not a single luxury!  Okay, not exactly but there are no support rigs, sag cars, new steeds at the ready, and no stopping every night to party!  Well, maybe a little of that last one...

no epo, no massages, no domestiques, etc

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #395 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:35 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »

"WYO 70 closed to through traffic indefinitely" -From the WyDOT website
(note this is on the GDMBR. TD are talking with WyDOT, investigating detours)

Snow removal operations on WYO 70 over Battle Pass between Baggs and Encampment are expected to take another two weeks to complete, however, once finished, the highway still won’t be reopened to through traffic because of a landslide that has taken out about 200 yards of the road.

WYDOT’s geologists hope to begin drilling and mapping efforts at the slide site on June 27 to gather the  information needed to assess the alternatives for repairing the highway or detouring traffic around the slide damage.

District Maintenance Engineer Tim McGary said it could take until mid-July to get all the information needed to fully assess the options and choose a course of action, so the closure to through traffic will be indefinite.

The slide is located at milepost 30, just west of the 17-mile highway section closed during the winter

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #396 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:57 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:57 PM »

"WYO 70 closed to through traffic indefinitely" -From the WyDOT website
(note this is on the GDMBR. TD are talking with WyDOT, investigating detours)

Snow removal operations on WYO 70 over Battle Pass between Baggs and Encampment are expected to take another two weeks to complete, however, once finished, the highway still won’t be reopened to through traffic because of a landslide that has taken out about 200 yards of the road.

WYDOT’s geologists hope to begin drilling and mapping efforts at the slide site on June 27 to gather the  information needed to assess the alternatives for repairing the highway or detouring traffic around the slide damage.

District Maintenance Engineer Tim McGary said it could take until mid-July to get all the information needed to fully assess the options and choose a course of action, so the closure to through traffic will be indefinite.

The slide is located at milepost 30, just west of the 17-mile highway section closed during the winter

WOHA!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #397 on: June 15, 2011, 12:56:17 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »

Tour DeReRoute!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #398 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:24 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »

No one's riding anything with enough travel for that!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #399 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:48 PM
teamfaeth

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »

Pete Faeth called his parents this morning at the crack. He lost his tracker yesterday, but found it. Whew! He said he rode 16 hrs to catch up, but not sure what his plan is. He is complaining that his rear is starting to hurt now  and he sounded like the smoke was getting to him.. he hasn't called me yet, (I am assuming he lost coverage) so I don't have any details. His tracker shows the last update  14 hrs ago. Does someone need to reset it, or is this something he has to do?

2 Tim 4:7 Fight the good fight, finish the race, and keep the faith!
  Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: