Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #500 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:19 AM
mathieu

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »

The leaders are now on the 40-mile long Idaho rail trail.

I hated that portion. Loose black sand/gravel on top, extremely washboarded, rutted. Pure torture, and I suspected riding it it was on the Geneva Conventions' list of prohibited practices!

It's not even real pretty, but even if it was, you can't really look at anything around you but your front tire, as deviating an inch from the "best" (meaning not the absolute worst) line means you're gonna catch the loose sand and stop or/and fall off your bike.  icon_puke_l

Aren't there better routes in that part of the world out there?  icon_scratch

There is a good dirt road running almost parrallel to the rail-trail, roughly between 197.0 and 212.3 mi on map 2A, in close distance. That cuts some 15 miles of this terrible trail. You can see it by zooming in on the Life Tracker; it is called Eccles Rd. For tourers highly recommendable ; however, as the rules go, not for the racers. 

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #501 on: June 14, 2012, 10:56:06 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 14, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »

Interested to hear thoughts from those who have raced before... saw all the earlier discussion on "attack" or just wake up and go one day, to create a gap.  My question would be "when" more than "how"...

I don't think there's any magic or good "when" moment.  We've seen riders go 190 to 200 plus miles on Day 1 to set a gap and then hold it till the end, we've seen all-night 300 mile rides through Wyoming that didn't quite stick, and then there's the often-used "ride the last 200+ miles in one pull" tactic.  Attacks in this race are days-long, not minutes or hours long like typical/normal bike races, and it's up to each racer to find their own moment.  It took me 4 days, mid-race, Montana to Wyoming, to bridge a 40 to 60 mile gap in 2010, but that was with taking some long (6hr+) sleep breaks.  I will say, however, that mountain passes just after a major town, later in the day, are good moments to "attack" ... you go up and over while others hesitate and stay in town.

But, on the flip side, I think there's just at much emphasis and attention that needs to be paid to "just holding the pace and not making mistakes".  And by "mistake"  I mean: sleeping in at a hotel, or sleeping in while in the warm bivy, ordering dinner at a bar instead of rolling on into the night and losing an hour+ to a very slow kitchen staff, dilly-dally in town looking for the grocery store or whatever, etc..  It's limiting this "mistakes" that gains way more time (or limits loss of time) than picking the right time to "attack".

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #502 on: June 14, 2012, 11:00:19 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: June 14, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »

Georg Deck from Germany left Butte, but then turned around, then continued. From his personal website, it appears that his bottom bracket is defective and he returned to Butte for repair, but that Rob Leipheimer didn't have an immediate replacement. I don't know any details, but good luck to him.

For myself, it would be too risky strategy a strategy to leave one of the best bike shops on the route with an iffy drive train. If I couldn't get a matching bottom bracket, I would have replaced the crankset as well or waited a day to get a part (and Rob surely could have found something workable by then) rather than risk a breakdown over the next 1000 miles to Steamboat! Even get a completely new drivetrain if needed before the Great Basin!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:43:59 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #503 on: June 14, 2012, 11:01:07 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 14, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »

There is a good dirt road running almost parrallel to the rail-trail, roughly between 197.0 and 212.3 mi on map 2A, in close distance. That cuts some 15 miles of this terrible trail. You can see it by zooming in on the Life Tracker; it is called Eccles Rd. For tourers highly recommendable ; however, as the rules go, not for the racers.  

I, for one, do not subscribe to the point of few that this section of the route is bad, or unbearable.  The mosquitoes were out when I went through there, and that was more challenging than the gravel surface, as well as the rain too.  Plus, the tail end of it, last 5 miles-ish, going South into the Warm River CG, is rippin' fast hard-pack that put a huge smile on my face.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #504 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:39 AM
ThatDudeOnABike

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »

Thanks for the pictures, RCtracker. Heading into the valley this AM, Jarral turned off to a ranch and stayed there for about an hour. I was starting to wonder why he would pull off and apparently need some sort of assistance on a long, easy downhill, but then he got going again--must have just gotten water or something.

D

Thanks for the update and posting the pictures. He looks a little tired but it is great to see him in good spirits. I was hopeing to swing into the big hole and watch him come through but didn't make it so this is the next best thing!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #505 on: June 14, 2012, 11:28:38 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: June 14, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »

Calls from Phillip Fogg, Fixie Dave, Billy Rice, Larry Hipskind, Bret Stepanik, and Gary Glunt!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #506 on: June 14, 2012, 11:29:57 AM
AmyL

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 14, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »

In addition to Ollie and the Tandem, I know of two other Rohloffs in this years race.  
Georg - http://kgdeck.blogspot.com/2011/05/29er-finished-in-time-for-td-2012.html
Jon Cox - http://www.paradivideride.org/

Are there other Rohloffs?  And anybody riding with Alfina 8 or 11 this year?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #507 on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:32 AM
jondub

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »

Myself and some friends caught up with some riders outside of Butte, MT.

Here's the post:

http://thebozemanfix.blogspot.com/2012/06/cdt-mtn-bike-race-6-14-12.html

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #508 on: June 14, 2012, 11:37:21 AM
Russ Kipp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: June 14, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

The photo of Jarral riding was prior to breakfast and coffee at our lodge.  He checked his blood sugar, ate occordingly and was off to catch Eszther.  It was clear and cold camping on the byway last night so quality of sleep was probably an issue.

Thanks for the update and posting the pictures. He looks a little tired but it is great to see him in good spirits. I was hopeing to swing into the big hole and watch him come through but didn't make it so this is the next best thing!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #509 on: June 14, 2012, 11:39:59 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 14, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »

Any news on David Goldberg? His pace is a bit slower than I expected and he appears to be in Butte in the middle of the day. Bike issues perhaps? He is my hero in the plus fifty group.

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #510 on: June 14, 2012, 11:41:17 AM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 14, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »

I used my iPhone to listen to podcasts as I rode.

and maybe look at trackleaders....hhhmmmm...nobody seems to want to chime in on how IPhones are a unfair advantage....it should become a new rule, just like no visitors from family and friends...

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #511 on: June 14, 2012, 11:44:16 AM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 14, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »

I, for one, do not subscribe to the point of few that this section of the route is bad, or unbearable.  The mosquitoes were out when I went through there, and that was more challenging than the gravel surface, as well as the rain too.  Plus, the tail end of it, last 5 miles-ish, going South into the Warm River CG, is rippin' fast hard-pack that put a huge smile on my face.

the Teton view isnt bad either...

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #512 on: June 14, 2012, 11:45:51 AM
2wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 14, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »

looks like Craig's Spot might be off? 
ok, its back on and he hasn't moved.  Wonder if something's broken?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #513 on: June 14, 2012, 11:50:45 AM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: June 14, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »

I also wanted to chime in that I enjoyed the Rail Trail. I rode it in this drenching rain and then the sun came out just as I was rounding the gorge over the Warm River. That section reminded me of Alaska in its own way.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #514 on: June 14, 2012, 11:51:12 AM
Area45

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 14, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »

and maybe look at trackleaders....hhhmmmm...nobody seems to want to chime in on how IPhones are a unfair advantage....it should become a new rule, just like no visitors from family and friends...

Yep, I was a clear threat to the leaders Jay. I guess you're right, listening to comedy while riding alone shouldn't be allowed either.

People do it for different reasons. Not everyone is going for your record.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #515 on: June 14, 2012, 11:54:48 AM
2wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 14, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »

Yep, I was a clear threat to the leaders Jay. I guess you're right, listening to comedy while riding alone shouldn't be allowed either.

People do it for different reasons. Not everyone is going for your record.
Outlawing the internet seems unlikely.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #516 on: June 14, 2012, 11:55:00 AM
sluttyduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: June 14, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »

In addition to Ollie and the Tandem, I know of two other Rohloffs in this years race.  
Georg - http://kgdeck.blogspot.com/2011/05/29er-finished-in-time-for-td-2012.html
Jon Cox - http://www.paradivideride.org/

Are there other Rohloffs?  And anybody riding with Alfina 8 or 11 this year?

Yeah I'll be ITT'ng on a Belt Drive Rohloff later this month

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #517 on: June 14, 2012, 12:04:18 PM
bbaker22

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: June 14, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »

As an endurance rider, but in this case, a spectator and non-participant, I'll chime in...carrying a smartphone and using it as you please is a personal equipment decision.  Do it if you want.  Some people can afford nice Rohloff equipped bikes that give them a supposed advantage over others.  Some can afford a nice smartphone that gives them a supposed advantage over others.  Run what ya brung...

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #518 on: June 14, 2012, 12:05:23 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 14, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »

In terms of iPhones...I think it comes down to you, either decide to adapt to the realities that technology is here to stay...or you don't.  I know initially there was some grumbling about having gps's instead of using maps/cues.  It seemed like an unfair advantage but people adapted.  For those very few people who wish to and have the capability to set records, possibly it is just another facet of the race that needs to be mastered...possibly there would be more strategy involved.  The bottom line is that effects very few people and for the rest of us, it allows a connection to the world that we are already connected to...allowing us to share our journey with others.  Not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.

Back to the race!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #519 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:47 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »

During the 2008 Great Divide Race, I was updating the Web site so I had instant access to all of the call-ins. That was the year of the No Cell Phone rule, but racers were required to call in from every "checkpoint." Whenever Geoff reached a town he would call me and ask about the position of his competitors. I thought it was harmless enough, but an unfair advantage? Yeah, probably. At least under the current Tour Divide format, information technology is open to everyone. If people really want that information, they can probably find ways to get it even if Tour Divide collectively decides to go stealth.

John Nobile was of the opinion that it was better to race your own race and wait until the very end to "attack," which is what he did by riding from Grants to the border virtually without stopping. When I told him about my relaying of information to Geoff in 2008, he didn't even really care. His race would have turned out the same either way, and probably turned out better because he didn't pay much attention to where his competitors were, so he didn't burn too many matches "racing" too early in the game.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com
  Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: