Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1220 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16:44 AM
Absurd Cyclist

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16:44 AM »

How many calories do these racers burn per day?

Here's my recollection of a typical evening's calorie consumption mid race in 2009:

"Secure in my tent, and once again ravenous, I delved into my goody bag. As an appetiser I had two packets of cheese biscuits and some mini Baby-Bel cheeses. Then came the main course: four waffles, remarkably still in tact, smothered in mashed bananas and drizzled with honey. Desert was two packets of chocolate chip cookies. It was all accompanied by a locally produced sweet wine known as Gatorade. This was the highest of haute cuisine.
Short of reading material, I totted up my calorific intake from the information plastered over the back of every food packet. With an estimate for the bananas, it worked out at just under 2,000 calories, or four-fifths of my recommended daily intake. Not bad for a light supper."

Remember, that was after a meal in Breckenridge that had been so heavy I'd fallen asleep afterwards and then nearly seen it all again on the climb over Boreas Pass.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1221 on: June 22, 2012, 02:17:39 AM
Absurd Cyclist

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 22, 2012, 02:17:39 AM »

Cordillera - Volume 3 has arrived!  Thanks to all who put this together. 
Excellent news. Hope you enjoy it - spread the word.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1222 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:48 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:48 AM »

Re nutrition: I am lucky in that I can eat pretty much anything, anytime. I almost never get sick from food. I don't really like fatty or greasy food, but I can eat it without digestive issues. Besides, I compensate by having the biggest sweet tooth since Willy Wonka. I don't push to the finish, I sugar rush to the finish! My unofficial sponsor is Haribo, I personally keep them in business. I probably ate my weight in gummy bears every single day on the TD. At breakfast!

So I never really had problems finding something to eat in convenience stores. Basically, I went mostly with trail mix (highest ratio of calories/weight that I know of, and convenient since it takes little space and doesn't spoil) and gummy bears. And big meals at restaurants when in town, with a particular bias for Mexican food. Love fajitas!

Anyway, one of the things that I no longer can put through my mouth since the TD is Gatorade, or the like (Powerade, whatever...) As I started using it for both fluids and calories as I used to do in one day endurance races, I basically became sick of it after like 2 or 3 days. Probably in part because, starting from the south, it was pretty difficult to keep it cold, and Gatorade isn't exactly like tea or coffee, to be enjoyed hot or iced! Try putting your Gatorade in the microwave for a minute and tell me if you like it! :puke:   icon_puke_l

Finally, I must say that as a middle aged guy who can gain weight just by looking at food, the lack of food restrain on the TD was particularly enjoyable. Would you like fried ice cream for dessert? Yeah, sure! Bring me a double. Snickers bar just before going to bed? Yeah, why not!  And I still lost almost 20 pounds. thumbsup

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1223 on: June 22, 2012, 02:28:08 AM
SimonK

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 22, 2012, 02:28:08 AM »

Before Stagecoach, Eszter told be she had a bit of gluten intolerance and tried to follow a Paleo-like diet when not endurance racing. I wondered how that would affect her during the Divide because it's not like those issues go away, and suddenly you can just eat a big stack of pancakes without feeling a little off. I understand as well as anyone how difficult it is to stick to a remotely balanced diet on the Divide, but still wonder if recovery would improve if one somehow could. I had this conversation with a Pacific Crest Trail through-hiker recently, a guy who was putting in big miles — 25 to 30 a day on tough terrain. He kept his diet really simple and mostly natural — oatmeal, rice, beans, nuts, dried fruit and the like — and claimed he felt stronger every day. I ate pretty much entirely candy on the Divide had felt the opposite — Increasingly run down, sickly, fatigued. I convinced myself diet didn't matter as long as I was getting calories — and still think calories are the most important thing — but now I wonder if daily recovery would improve if one didn't have to eat so much high-sugar, high gluten, processed food. Divide lore places heavy emphasis on how awesome it is to eat so much crap, but for me, the intensity with which I was craving vegetables toward the end speaks volumes about the importance of quality food, not just quantity.

But, yeah, giant burritos make me very happy, too, so I totally understand Eszter's mindset. I also think burritos fall into the healthy zone, at least they're balanced with actual protein and some nutrients. My problem was too many meals that consisted entirely of candy bars and Sour Patch Kids.

That's the beauty of chocolate milk and peanut M&Ms - some protein and fat with your sugar. I tried to stop for a cooked meal most days - a salmon omlette on day two was the best! All the same, I had a crook guts from just before Butte right through to the finish (and normally have a a pretty solid digestive system, regardless what I eat).

My in-laws picked me up from Antelope Wells. They were waiting when I arrived at about 5pm and had a chilly bin out with some fresh lettuce, tomatoes and fruit in it. I immediately scoffed the lot. Only found out much later that it was their dinner that they were about to have for themselves.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1224 on: June 22, 2012, 02:49:36 AM
cousinmosquito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1224 on: June 22, 2012, 02:49:36 AM »

That's the beauty of chocolate milk and peanut M&Ms - some protein and fat with your sugar. I tried to stop for a cooked meal most days - a salmon omlette on day two was the best! All the same, I had a crook guts from just before Butte right through to the finish (and normally have a a pretty solid digestive system, regardless what I eat).

My in-laws picked me up from Antelope Wells. They were waiting when I arrived at about 5pm and had a chilly bin out with some fresh lettuce, tomatoes and fruit in it. I immediately scoffed the lot. Only found out much later that it was their dinner that they were about to have for themselves.
Hmmmm! Can't beat chocolate milk Simon!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1225 on: June 22, 2012, 04:08:16 AM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 22, 2012, 04:08:16 AM »

Not sure of the model, but know it was an Easton. He looked at getting new bearings the first time he was in Salida but seem his model takes a non-standard size, or something, and they didn't have it in stock.

Thanks for that

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1226 on: June 22, 2012, 04:25:28 AM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 22, 2012, 04:25:28 AM »

I know there have been some late nights and some early mornings, but has anyone ridden ALL night yet?
I guess our leaders are proving you don't have to...?

There have been  a few I think so far but none of the leaders.  MF has done it a few times so far due to a) needing to ride to keep warm and reach civilization to replace gear and b) make up time from a).  Has pulled a 40hr ride twice thus far.  I'd expect some more of that once he gets going again, especially through NM as he rides more at night to get out of the heat.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1227 on: June 22, 2012, 04:43:09 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 22, 2012, 04:43:09 AM »

Looks like last night CS finished earlier than OW who did an extra ~15 miles.  Craig up earlier this morning and just caught up to OW.  Back together again!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1228 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:06 AM
Pooh

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:06 AM »

Looks like last night CS finished earlier than OW who did an extra ~15 miles.  Craig up earlier this morning and just caught up to OW.  Back together again!
I think its more likely Craig's spot was turned off earlier or didn't transmit as late as Ollie's last night before they both stopped at the camp ground at Pueblo Pintado.  Both of their spotters came back on within 5mins of each other - too much of a coincidence.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1229 on: June 22, 2012, 05:06:08 AM
Russ Kipp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1229 on: June 22, 2012, 05:06:08 AM »

Tour Divide is "The Worlds Toughest Mountain Bike Ride". And being self supported makes it even more difficult. Consider the terrain, weather extremes, managing food, water, rest and riding in unfamiliar remote locations there are no loser in the Tour Divide.   Tracy was very upbeat when I talked to her late Wednesday afternoon.  I applaud every TD rider regardless of how far they ride. 
Kudos to Tracy Burge for fighting the good fight. She started the race with a nasty stomach virus she caught on the ride to Banff and she was never really healthy after that. She battled back from a 2-day stop in Whitefish to get her protein levels back up, edema in her legs down and IT band within a tolerable level of pain. She rallied for a while, but after leaving Butte, found herself suffering from dehydration, facial numbness, nausea, and the sense to know she needed to stop and take care of herself. Tracy's tolerance level for pain is off the charts (she has no ACL in one knee, but you'd never know it to watch her adventure race), and she'd been living/eating/breathing this race for months and months.  For her to pull out, she must really be suffering.  Huge thanks to all those folks who showed her compassion along the way.  It's part of what the race was about for her, and we'll look forward to hearing her recount your many kindnesses when she gets back home.  Rest assured she'll remember them for years to come.  We continue to cheer on Sara Dallman, who lives just a few miles from Tracy back in Ohio and was her training partner for the TD.  She'll be heartbroken to hear that Tracy had to stop, but she's got a steely-eyed focus on that finish line.  She had a monster day today in order to make Pinedale.  She's built for endurance, and she's just hitting her stride, it seems.  All the best to everyone out there.

* Tracy B in Elk Park.jpg (88.43 KB, 640x480 - viewed 863 times.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:22:14 AM by Russ Kipp » Logged

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1230 on: June 22, 2012, 05:52:36 AM
JeffOYB

bikes, boats, skis... outdoor lore & more!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1230 on: June 22, 2012, 05:52:36 AM »

Ha... They thought you would've already had a nice dinner, or maybe wouldn't've been hungry.

Anyone on these big pushes get appetite suppression?

When I do all-day for multi-day I seem to maybe get some appetite suppression and even water suppression. I don't really get hit by the "Ooh, looks so good! Tastes so good!" ravenous thing. Gotta intentionally eat/drink enough. And my portions don't naturally get a lot bigger. I like winter events and find that deluxe pizza is the only thing that works. I bonk on anything lighter. Goos, potions, bars: no good. But half a slice an hour and I'm rockin' all day. I do recall some really good peaches on a summer tour. Mmmm. Yet I could only have 6 or so before I had enough for that year.

Maybe the monster junk food wolf would kick in after a week or more of extra hard going...?

Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
hq for indie outdoor culture & homestyle adventure
2000+ articles ... online 20+ years!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1231 on: June 22, 2012, 06:30:33 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 22, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »

Way to go, Michelle D.!!

After a quick side trip to Dell at 1 am she got to Lima around 3 am - amazing!

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1232 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:28 AM
Newfydog

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »

I don't know how a vegetarian could survive out there.  At a remote lodge in Montana "What do you have on the dinner menu?  Oh, we have everything, sirloin, t-bone, ribeye, prime rib"

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1233 on: June 22, 2012, 07:13:57 AM
KRyter

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 22, 2012, 07:13:57 AM »

My brothers spot was glitchy this morning. It just had to happen when my wife went on to spot stock his position, he was reported as 45 miles off route going 200+ MPH maybe in line with Farminton, NM. She was just about to start making calls... "He's in a helicopter!" Being Type 1 and in a race like this, we all get a bit nervous for him. A few minutes later he shows back up, on route and moving like normal. Just a glitch. Keep Hammering JR!!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1234 on: June 22, 2012, 07:22:51 AM
mgasman

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 22, 2012, 07:22:51 AM »

I don't know how a vegetarian could survive out there.  At a remote lodge in Montana "What do you have on the dinner menu?  Oh, we have everything, sirloin, t-bone, ribeye, prime rib"

More Tom Thomas info:  He is a vegetarian, not sure what he is eating, other than a few things his wife has posted.  Omelets, the candy bar that caused his crash etc.  There is likely no shortage of veggie pizza being eaten.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1235 on: June 22, 2012, 07:26:01 AM
Russ Kipp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1235 on: June 22, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »

We provided omelets, oatmeal, cereal, cookies, salads, yogurt, baked potatoes, grilled cheese.tomato.avocado sandwiches and veggie lasagna @ Montana High Country Lodge for the TD riders requiring special dietary needs. No complaints! 
I don't know how a vegetarian could survive out there.  At a remote lodge in Montana "What do you have on the dinner menu?  Oh, we have everything, sirloin, t-bone, ribeye, prime rib"

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1236 on: June 22, 2012, 07:33:25 AM
cc4005

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 22, 2012, 07:33:25 AM »

He called me yesterday. Front wheel was seizing up. He was heading back to Salida to figure out what he wanted to do. He's got a plane ticket in Phoenix and with this mechanical he dosen't think he'll be able to finish the race in time to get there.

Any further word on AJ?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1237 on: June 22, 2012, 07:53:19 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 22, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »

We provided omelets, oatmeal, cereal, cookies, salads, yogurt, baked potatoes, grilled cheese.tomato.avocado sandwiches and veggie lasagna @ Montana High Country Lodge for the TD riders requiring special dietary needs. No complaints! 

Great work (and great customer service!).  Thanks for all the TD pampering! I wish you guys the best of luck.  BTW - you're making me hungry.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1238 on: June 22, 2012, 07:56:51 AM
Snowy D

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 22, 2012, 07:56:51 AM »

Who thinks Craig and Ollie will get to AW and just keep going?  Mazatlan isn't that much further.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1239 on: June 22, 2012, 08:00:43 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 22, 2012, 08:00:43 AM »

Who thinks Craig and Ollie will get to AW and just keep going?  Mazatlan isn't that much further.

It would be more fun if they turned around and established the round-trip record.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: