Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1240 on: June 22, 2012, 08:09:21 AM
seabrin

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 22, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »

My in-laws picked me up from Antelope Wells. They were waiting when I arrived at about 5pm and had a chilly bin out with some fresh lettuce, tomatoes and fruit in it. I immediately scoffed the lot. Only found out much later that it was their dinner that they were about to have for themselves.

That's a riot. I'm sure they thought you'd gone feral.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1241 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:19 AM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »

sure, i will spoo some things before i head into the woods for a few days...

what does the future hold for TD after such a year? obviously it has changed and will continue to do so as more and more people challenge themselves. nature of anything with growth.

will there be more * type of rides being noted, will there be more rules written to help suggest/enforce the original intent.

remember this is not and was not meant to be a Survivor-esque type of reality TV show with people making alliances along the way to try and better there position.

i will not take anything from the riders and they are killing it. i will also say, best weather window ever.

just like in most things the upper tier folks, leaders, should be setting a good example for the rest to follow.

TraceyP - is a veggie head but does dairy, eggs and fish. We all teased her and said this is going to be when she gives into delicious bacon. She still has time...

we are also now at a point of growth where some services on route follow the race and accommodate the racers no matter the time. very nice of them and lucky for riders.

leaders will have another opportunity to do a very nice dirt section vs. pavement out of Grants if they choose. i have done both and the dirt section is beautiful and not much longer or difficult.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1242 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:21 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1242 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »

Humm, I am hungry—

I know of two vegans and numerous vegetarians who have successfully completed the route.  Off the top of my head I can think of 13 grocery stores with the usual A-to-Z selection of all types of food.  And next time you are in your local convenience store carefully look at all the food selections (other than the candy rack), you might be a bit surprised how well you can eat with a bit of creativity.  And there are countless convenience stores, just like yours, along the route. And most restaurants will make food to your request.

Accessing “healthy” food along the TDR route (what ever your version of healthy is) is possible.  The real issues regarding food is not selection or availability or even healthy vs junk but rather location, time and portability.

This is what Jill and LW have alluded to—what’s the best balance of -- not food vs speed --but rather nutrition vs speed.

Personally I would contend (at least for any US based racer) with a bit of pre-race “convenience store food selection practice” this whole topic is a side issue and easily dealt with.  

The MOST important food issue to my way of thinking is not What-- but rather Where and When can you get it!!  Do you truly KNOW where the next (and the next after that) food supply is located, what their hours are and when you will be there etc etc, and so on –for 20 or so days.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1243 on: June 22, 2012, 08:45:46 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 22, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »

JayP, I have the highest regard for you and your accomplishments.  On the other hand to me, you seem to be coming off lately as a sour grapes type personality which I don't believe is your intent.  Sure, the race could start listing * next to completion times but that would I assume have to include people picking the most optimal time/weather window and doing an ITT during that time instead of the GD.  I don't think anyone wants to go there.  The rules are clear (to me) and I don't know of any survivor-esque partnerships that are occurring during this race and to speculate or state this smacks of cheapening peoples accomplishments.  

Bottom line, everyone in this race is turning the pedals assisted by no more than grit and determination (and plenty of excellent food apparently!).  I applaud all of them.  thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1244 on: June 22, 2012, 08:51:43 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 22, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

Does anyone know an easy way to determine how many miles one individual does on one particular day (not avg)?  Individual trackers give track points (on each diamond).  It would be much more useful if that track point was actually a mileage point I would think.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1245 on: June 22, 2012, 08:54:14 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: June 22, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »

Calls overnight: Eszter Horanyi called in from Del Norte. Made it into Absolute Bikes to get her bike worked on before pushing on and sleeping in an outhouse overnight. Passing within 20 miles of her home, put her in a funk for a while today. Experienced a beautiful sunset heading into Del Norte today. Tracey Petervary called in from Kremling. Woke up a little weak this morning and feeling tired, but kept moving forward today. Tomorrow is Cosmic Day! Iron Mel Liebling called in from Flagg Ranch. Glad to be in Wyoming! Recaps the last couple of days passing through Montana, Idaho and into Wyoming. Some bike issues today, but that got worked out with help of nice family from Ohio. She had lots of reminders of Ohio today. Hanging with Michael, Mark and Tyson (who’s spot tracker is not working). Looking forward to tomorrow.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1246 on: June 22, 2012, 08:58:55 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: June 22, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »

Hi guys,

I've been silently lurking and reading up on stuff.

I'm doing the TourDivide next year and have been so interested in the updates and pix.  A lot of my friends don't come here but wanted to see the updates so I've done highlights from the forum in a blog format (complete with pix from here - if there is an issue, let me know)

So here is June 14-21 highlights
http://www.driven2divide.com/tour-divide-2012-race-highlights-week-2/

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1247 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:50 AM
adelorenzo

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:50 AM »

Not sure of the model, but know it was an Easton. He looked at getting new bearings the first time he was in Salida but seem his model takes a non-standard size, or something, and they didn't have it in stock.

As the owner of a new set of Easton wheels, which are otherwise amazing, I can vouch that they have terrible bearing issues. The fronts are tiny, odd-size bearings that didn't last a month for me. The rears didn't last much longer and they are also not the most common sizes, and might even be different left and right.

I ride the shit out of these wheels around here and I can manage the bearing problems (at least they are simple to service at home) but definitely would not take them out in the bush for 20-30+ days.  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1248 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:30 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1248 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »

Also, about a month or so before the TourDivide2012, I did an interview with Eszter - it was great and very informative!
http://www.driven2divide.com/biker-profile-eszter-horanyi/

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1249 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:32 AM
AmyL

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »

June 22, 11AM, windmap looks unfavorable for pretty much every SOBO rider on the course, from CS/OW in the front to the red caboosers.  Hope the Northbounders are enjoying themselves today
http://hint.fm/wind/

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1250 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:10 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »

Not only are Craig and Ollie on record pace, now it looks like Garrett and Kurt are also on a record pace...Wow!  In Del Norte both were about an hour behind pace, by Abiquiu they were 5 hours ahead of time.  Must have been a long day with favorable winds.  Great effort!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1251 on: June 22, 2012, 09:33:19 AM
FrancyPants

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 22, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »

I'm sorry to see that AJ had to scratch.  He ran a great race.  Kudos to him!

Anyone updated on Josh S?  Bike issues or health keeping him down?  Hope he resurrects as he did further north and finishes!

Had some concerns about T-Race til her call-in.  Glad she knows when to rest and she is stronger today.  Go, girl! 

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1252 on: June 22, 2012, 09:54:14 AM
2wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 22, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »

Looking carefully at the spot today it looks like Ollie has pulled out a 5 minute lead from Craig at the turn on to the San Mateo Rd (605).  Craig left the turn some time after 10:11am and Ollie was on his way a few minutes before at 10:06am.  Is this Ollie's big move to the finish? With around 300 miles left I'm sure he thinks he can pull straight to the end...

It'll be interesting to see if it sticks leaving Grants.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:15:47 AM by 2wheeler » Logged

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1253 on: June 22, 2012, 10:14:13 AM
Ryan Correy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1253 on: June 22, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »

When my boyfriend encountered Josh in Steamboat, he was having foot issues/pain if I recall correctly. Not sure if that's the main issue now, but at the time, he was debating calling it quits.

I'm sorry to see that AJ had to scratch.  He ran a great race.  Kudos to him!

Anyone updated on Josh S?  Bike issues or health keeping him down?  Hope he resurrects as he did further north and finishes!

Had some concerns about T-Race til her call-in.  Glad she knows when to rest and she is stronger today.  Go, girl! 

Ryan Correy
Adventure Cyclist & Fueling Guru for Hammer Nutrition Canada

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1254 on: June 22, 2012, 10:36:15 AM
ThatDudeOnABike

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 22, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »

It's unavoidable, and not an indictment of anyone, but when you're riding with someone else, 99% of the time you ride faster and longer. And you tend to stay together if you have similar capabilities. It's the nature of the beast. Just like the domestiques who pace their money man on climbs in stage races.

Someone noted how they were riding with Craig and Ollie and Ollie saw that Craig was up ahead and bolted after him. He wouldn't have done that had be been alone. This would happen with anyone. I'm not saying anyone's breaking the rules or such, but you have to acknowledge a significant advantage for people riding in groups of any size.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1255 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:52 AM
AmyL

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

Folks who have ridden the GDMBR route in the past know this, but for those following this thread who are not familiar with the course...
Much of the riding through NM (assuming people take the legal alternates, which nearly everybody does) is on paved roads, or high quality dirt roads.  However, there are two sections that are rougher and steeper, not just crank-it-out-while-half-asleep kind of riding.  

The first rougher section is the climb from 6000' to 10000' up and over Polvadera Mesa, between Abiquiu and Cuba, followed by a long descent on rough roads. (KS and GP are cresting the top of that section as I write this, and SC is just about to begin the climb).  

The second rougher section is through the Gila National Forest, between Pie Town and Silver City.  

Both sections can have peanut-butter conditions if it's raining.  I just checked weather forecast for Abiquiu, Pie Town and Cuba, and all show a chance for thunderstorms on Friday and Saturday.  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1256 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:23 AM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »

JayP, I have the highest regard for you and your accomplishments.  On the other hand to me, you seem to be coming off lately as a sour grapes type personality which I don't believe is your intent.  Sure, the race could start listing * next to completion times but that would I assume have to include people picking the most optimal time/weather window and doing an ITT during that time instead of the GD.  I don't think anyone wants to go there.  The rules are clear (to me) and I don't know of any survivor-esque partnerships that are occurring during this race and to speculate or state this smacks of cheapening peoples accomplishments.  

Bottom line, everyone in this race is turning the pedals assisted by no more than grit and determination (and plenty of excellent food apparently!).  I applaud all of them.  thumbsup

I haven't taken it that way.  What I am getting from these posts is that the race is a bit different each year and it will continue to evolve as it has been with increased popularity and better technology.  That's good or bad depending on what you want to get out of the event, and perhaps more importantly what you expect the event to be in the first place.  

And he clearly says he wouldn't take anything away from the leaders.  No doubt they are putting in an unmatched performance regardless of advantages and luck of weather/wind/timing.  Clearly if you want to set a best known time for such a route there is a skill in smart tactics and putting yourself into a position to capitalize on luck.  I can't think of a record for much of anything that doesn't fit that bill.  You can say he was as lucky last year as these guys are now.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1257 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:26 AM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »

It's unavoidable, and not an indictment of anyone, but when you're riding with someone else, 99% of the time you ride faster and longer. And you tend to stay together if you have similar capabilities. It's the nature of the beast. Just like the domestiques who pace their money man on climbs in stage races.

Someone noted how they were riding with Craig and Ollie and Ollie saw that Craig was up ahead and bolted after him. He wouldn't have done that had be been alone. This would happen with anyone. I'm not saying anyone's breaking the rules or such, but you have to acknowledge a significant advantage for people riding in groups of any size.

And however hypothetical it is, nobody has noted how much it can help with the simple crap like navigation and finding tough resupplies etc.  How much time would you save "confirming" every turn after someone a quarter mile ahead makes it vs making them all solo?  Maybe not much, but maybe significant if that one detour is a 20 mile round trip.  I understand GPS makes it easy but we've seen just about everyone outside the top 5 (?) make some decent mistakes in navigation.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1258 on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:27 AM
JeffOYB

bikes, boats, skis... outdoor lore & more!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1258 on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »

JP was superlucky last year for his whole year! What a year! He did all those amazing events, setting records all along. The coolest year's achievement I've ever encountered. Certainly for bikes but maybe for anything.

I'd think that encountering others along the trail would be a boost no matter how it was configured. Like, if C&O yo-yo'ed several times a day, getting half hour gaps in the meantime, then reeling back in for whatever reason -- different styles, pacing, etc. -- then even camping miles apart -- even if that happened they'd be getting a boost in all likelihood -- chasing, chatting as they passed each other, saying Hi, trying to parse each other's scene. In fact, a very loose contact pattern might be the most pleasant, low-stress and ... effective for synergy. Being around each other a lot each day may well become vexing.

The connections and influences we have on each other can be strong even when sporadic.

PS: Veggie has to be tough, but, whew, think of VEGAN. Have TD racers other than Deanna Adams tried that? (Her blog had a report a couple years ago about a So. Am. tour she did with a pal who tried to do it all RAW vegan. ...Mowing roadside fruit all day, whole melons, getting prisoner skinny. Deanna was feeling bad for him. He also had constant gut-bugs. I think she calls herself a "junk food vegan" or such.)

Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
hq for indie outdoor culture & homestyle adventure
2000+ articles ... online 20+ years!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1259 on: June 22, 2012, 11:25:59 AM
2wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 22, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »

Ollie took a 20 minute break for lunch in Grants.  Looks to me like he's gunning for it.
  Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: