Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1340 on: June 22, 2012, 07:53:54 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 22, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »

Yea, we're coming up on 4 hours that his spot hasn't moved.  I'm really hoping that it's a spot glitch and that he's moving again.  If you look at his track during the day, he's been all over town. 

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1341 on: June 22, 2012, 07:59:47 PM
wilver

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 22, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »

Maybe CS has gone super stealth and taped his spot tracker to a tortoise (Breaking Bad style) and is going for the win cloaked in satellite black-out. That would be exciting, but how would we watch the race? This drama is giving me anxiety to see how it unfolds. All the effort I've put in day after day, mile after mile, following this epic only to see it come down to a mechanical.  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1342 on: June 22, 2012, 08:07:05 PM
AmyL

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 22, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »

I was half expecting both OW and CS to go stealth at this point.  But after a ~2 hour pie-fest, Ollie's SPOT is running, at least for long enough to show that he is not stopping to sleep at the Toaster House.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1343 on: June 22, 2012, 08:08:33 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 22, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »

Does anyone know what the section after Del Norte is like?  At first due to the pace of the tandem I thought they must have an issue since they were moving basically at walking speed.  Then I looked at Dylan Taylor's track and he slowed way down also.  Is this a particularly tough section?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1344 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:28 PM
MCR

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »

This is from yesterday:

I think its more likely Craig's spot was turned off earlier or didn't transmit as late as Ollie's last night before they both stopped at the camp ground at Pueblo Pintado.  Both of their spotters came back on within 5mins of each other - too much of a coincidence.

Hmmmm...

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1345 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28:04 PM
rippling over canyons

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »

I don't know how a vegetarian could survive out there.  At a remote lodge in Montana "What do you have on the dinner menu?  Oh, we have everything, sirloin, t-bone, ribeye, prime rib"

I don't eat meat and can usually find something on any menu to suffice.  (I'm no racer, just a weekend warrior).  I was riding in the Stanley Basin of Idaho a couple of years ago and got a motel room in Challis, Idaho.  There was absolutely nothing around to eat.  The motel had a diner, so I ate there.  The menu had elk and other obscure meat items.  I ended up with a baked potato and salad.  The salad was oxidized iceburg lettuce cores drenched in about 5 times too much ranch dressing with about 6 tiny slivers of grated carrots.  I almost had to set up my camp stove outside my room, but I was too tired from riding to deal with that!

* salad.jpg (38.94 KB, 800x600 - viewed 717 times.)

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1346 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:34 PM
sdrffpp

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »

So, I've been keeping an eye on some friends in the middle of the pack, but you all have totally drawn me into the drama of Craig v. Ollie and the pedal issue in Grants.  I don't see where anyone has yet made note of the fact that one of Craig's lengthy stops in Grants was at a Ford dealership.  That's the location in the northwest corner where he spent something like an hour and a half, after his first visit to Wal-Mart.  So, maybe he got a pedal, but then had a problem with installation (like, threads on the crank stripped out so the pedal wouldn't screw on?  I believe that's what happened to a participant in an adventure race I directed last year).  Just my bit of detective work for the evening.  Like all of you, I would sure hate to see his race end there.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1347 on: June 22, 2012, 08:43:48 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1347 on: June 22, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »

Does anyone know what the section after Del Norte is like?  At first due to the pace of the tandem I thought they must have an issue since they were moving basically at walking speed.  Then I looked at Dylan Taylor's track and he slowed way down also.  Is this a particularly tough section?

Well it has some of the steeper grades of the entire route and once in NM some “almost” mountain bike terrain.

With lots of miles in the legs, hot temps, limited re-supply in this area and a bit more rugged terrain the section “Del Norte to Abiquiu” has a way of smacking you down just a bit.  

I think a Tandem would be all that times about 2.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1348 on: June 22, 2012, 08:59:32 PM
MCR

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 22, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »

So, I've been keeping an eye on some friends in the middle of the pack, but you all have totally drawn me into the drama of Craig v. Ollie and the pedal issue in Grants.  I don't see where anyone has yet made note of the fact that one of Craig's lengthy stops in Grants was at a Ford dealership.  That's the location in the northwest corner where he spent something like an hour and a half, after his first visit to Wal-Mart.  So, maybe he got a pedal, but then had a problem with installation (like, threads on the crank stripped out so the pedal wouldn't screw on?  I believe that's what happened to a participant in an adventure race I directed last year).  Just my bit of detective work for the evening.  Like all of you, I would sure hate to see his race end there.

For all my skepticism, I'm starting to think CS is having a real problem. The spot shows a tent symbol (which I assume is something the user sets), and the travel around town does have a certain desperate, "stuck" look to it. Good luck to CS---hope he gets it fixed soon.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1349 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:39 PM
Pooh

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »

For all my skepticism, I'm starting to think CS is having a real problem. The spot shows a tent symbol (which I assume is something the user sets), and the travel around town does have a certain desperate, "stuck" look to it. Good luck to CS---hope he gets it fixed soon.
I think from memory the tent function kicks in automatically after 4 hrs in one spot without moving or if you've turned it off overnight.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1350 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:28 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »

And however hypothetical it is, nobody has noted how much it can help with the simple crap like navigation and finding tough resupplies etc.  How much time would you save "confirming" every turn after someone a quarter mile ahead makes it vs making them all solo?  Maybe not much, but maybe significant if that one detour is a 20 mile round trip.  I understand GPS makes it easy but we've seen just about everyone outside the top 5 (?) make some decent mistakes in navigation.
Navigation is very very important-- but three comments
If you know how to use your GPS (and remain alert, he he) navigation on the TDR is so easy there will be virtually no lost time due to nav errors.

A 20 mile slip up is basically not possible if you are really “using” your GPS.  A 10 mile (1 way) error would mean you did not look at the GPS for over an hour!  If that were to be the case, the GPS was really not being used correctly.

And if you do make a 20 mile error in a 2,750 mile race it’s not even 1 small potato. Zero significance in all but the most bizarre circumstances.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1351 on: June 22, 2012, 09:05:55 PM
ComoDepot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1351 on: June 22, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »

Georg stopped for a Coffee and sandwich, not sure what happened but he consumed my full English Breakfast ex a few baked beans.

He was having mechanical problems and had to flee to Salida for repairs. He is saving his beer for the finish.

David

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1352 on: June 22, 2012, 09:08:10 PM
ComoDepot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1352 on: June 22, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »

Robin was in such a rush this was the best I could do, also another Salida by 5pm er.

David

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1353 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:22 PM
ComoDepot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »

I think this is Terry. Apologies if I have the name wrong. Terry decided to not rush off, they have been cycling together for a few days and will no doubt catch up again.

David

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1354 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:22 PM
ComoDepot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1354 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »

The Italian Job's, 2 beers each here. Giovanni and Danilo, tucked up upstairs, 5.00 Breakfast...

Washing should be done so my turn to sign off.

David

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1355 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:57 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »

It's unavoidable, and not an indictment of anyone, but when you're riding with someone else, 99% of the time you ride faster and longer. And you tend to stay together if you have similar capabilities. It's the nature of the beast. Just like the domestiques who pace their money man on climbs in stage races.

Someone noted how they were riding with Craig and Ollie and Ollie saw that Craig was up ahead and bolted after him. He wouldn't have done that had be been alone. This would happen with anyone. I'm not saying anyone's breaking the rules or such, but you have to acknowledge a significant advantage for people riding in groups of any size.

Point taken but if we were to ‘rank’ the obvious “selectable advantages” available to racers I would rank them as follows:

#1) By a long shot the biggest selectable advantage is to pre-ride the entire route—ie: race the route twice

#2) Pick your start time to try to optimize the conditions

#3) Pick the group start and somewhere along the way -- 100% randomly --hook up with a fellow racer and ride near each other for an extended period of time.

Some might rank them differently but each of these ‘selectable advantages’ are fully within the rules and available to everyone.  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1356 on: June 22, 2012, 09:25:28 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: June 22, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »

Calls tonight: Max Morris called in from Kremling. Doing great and going to try to make it to Silverthorne. Tracey Petervary called in from Breckenridge. She’s getting her gear patched and fixed. Still enjoying the ride. Ollie Whalley called in from Pie Town. Notes that he had to split with Craig as he has a pedal issue. Otherwise doing well and enjoying the pie! Craig Stappler called in from Grants. A little frazzled with a pedal issue. He’s had some trouble finding a replacement. It sounds like he has a plan to get one in Gallup to get over and get some SPD’s. Max Morris called in enroute to Silverthorne. He hit after leaving Kremling but wants another 10 miles! And Prentiss Campbell called in from Rawlins. He’s doing okay but got a bit dehydrate. He said has been his toughest day.

I fly home tomorrow. I'm glad I'll be home to see the leaders come in!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1357 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:50 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »

I think this is Terry. Apologies if I have the name wrong. Terry decided to not rush off, they have been cycling together for a few days and will no doubt catch up again.

That's Robin Borstmeyer. I like the 1000 yd. stare. He's doing great! Go Robin!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1358 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:21 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1358 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »

The Italian Job's, 2 beers each here. Giovanni and Danilo, tucked up upstairs, 5.00 Breakfast...

Washing should be done so my turn to sign off.

humm, not a big deal to me as I am not in the race this yr & I hope I am wrong, but I would say this looks very much like a non-random TEAM effort.

Personally I would like ML to step up to the plate and address this sort of thing by officially adding a recognized Team category (with totally separate finish ranking/time).

I do think it would be cool for a team cat --where a couple of buds, husband/wife, father/son etc etc etc could do the TDR as a pre-arranged team, just keep it separate from the rest of the field

(but the TDR is ML's baby and he will do what he thinks is best)

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1359 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:21 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »

humm, not a big deal to me as I am not in the race this yr & I hope I am wrong, but I would say this looks very much like a non-random TEAM effort.

Personally I would like ML to step up to the plate and address this sort of thing by officially adding a recognized Team category (with totally separate finish ranking/time).

I do think it would be cool for a team cat --where a couple of buds, husband/wife, father/son etc etc etc could do the TDR as a pre-arranged team, just keep it separate from the rest of the field

(but the TDR is ML's baby and he will do what he thinks is best)

I agree. A team cat would be cool but it's up to ML.
  Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: