Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1720 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:54 AM
robsys

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »

Did you ask what was the story behind the POC shirt modification? I too am wondering why no helmet, other than to make a statement? Looks like in tennis shoes and flat pedals? he has been trucking along pretty well.
Haha. Alright. One of Cjells #1 Spot Stalkers here! His GF from Vail...Very happy that he will not be a blue dot anymore after today. I have been reading the forum for a while now and I wanted to thank everyone for the pictures.
I also wanted to comment on the POC t modification. Cjell got a very large and new tattoo in NM before starting the race. Wild and yet very like Cjell to get his first tattoo in the middle of a 6,000 mile ride. Halfway between San Jose, Costa Rica and Banff, Canada. He kept one sleeve to cover the new ink. Cutting the other one off for ventilation.
Not riding flat pedals. He actually modified his shoes to clip into his pedals. Those are some of his fav's. For anyone who's been watching him, his bikes custom. He made it with the Black Sheep guys in Ft Collins. Sewed his own bags with some light weight sailing material and obviously likes traveling light. He has some extra layers but has been riding with only one t-shirt this entire time.
And yes...no helmet. No idea why! Probably because of the weight. He's never worn a helmet touring. I mentioned something when I saw him on his ride through Frisco, CO. He said he should have had one during the NM stretch, for sure.
Congratulations Cjell!!! Truly an unbelievable experience and a ride of a lifetime.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1721 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:11 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »

Congratulations Cjell!!! Truly an unbelievable experience and a ride of a lifetime.

I got the feeling that Cjell will have a few more of those "rides of a lifetime".  icon_biggrin

Congrats to Cjell. He seems to be an amazing guy with an amazing personality.  thumbsup

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1722 on: June 26, 2012, 09:53:45 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: June 26, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »

Looks like Mike Cleveland had something going on. He left Rawlins and turned around and went back.
Hope all is well.

Woody

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1723 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:33 AM
Scobb

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:33 AM »

It’s time to bring a bit of personality to one of those pink spots towards the back of the pack, Jo Ann Burtard.  I have been following her day and night as she tackles the rigors of the Divide.  And she drives me nuts without her spot tracker regularly on; I mean how are we going to make sure that she’s ok out there in the big world?  I mean, even the Big Guys fear the bears and they are more accounted for with their trackers blinking reliably! But Jo’s independent and fierce in her own way.  By profession Jo Ann is a yoga teacher and Shiatsu body worker living in Santa Fe.  She never uses age as an excuse, but she’s 56 years young and 5’ tall.  She chose to ride her cross bike for this ride, despite other’s discouraging her.  Some would still be recovering from their collar bone fracture, the 4th one….But Jo was determined to do this adventure and nothing was going to stop her.  She called her husband from Pinedale last night, having had her bike worked on that made it worse than when she got to the shop.  She described numb fingertips that make it necessary to push her tracker with a stick.  She described an encounter with a moose that she no doubt, thoroughly appreciated.  Still she’s pressing on this morning, again without her tracker on, and has miles to go.  Jo is my most loyal, grateful and appreciative friend, (to say nothing of ambitious and strong) and she’s my hero in this event.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1724 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:48 AM
spcabin75

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »

Marco is a veteran with a ride of 19 days (last year?), this year he is taking it easy, riding along with Elena.  I would love to hear his thoughts on the tow different styles of riding.  Also if he misses not being in the "race" this year.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1725 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:23 AM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »

Hey everyone. I'm in Tucson. Off to Fairwheel bikes for some boxing up, flight back to Calgary at 6pm. I'll post a bit longer account when I get home. It's very humbling to be followed so intently on these pages. It's too bad the tracker didn't work the whole last day. I thought I failed to turn it on properly in the morning in my hast to get away without Kurt and Garrett seeing me. Now that it seems to have worked until Silver City, I'm at a loss. All I can say is I tried to leave it all out there and ride hard for the finish. I'm thrilled for Ollie. We crossed paths at the top of the climb out of Silver city. He on his way to rest, me with a few more hard hours ahead. I saw a red car with a bike rack crest the hill and slow as someone inside noticed me. I instantly knew, Ollie! The car stopped, Ollie jumped out, I swerved across the highway and met him in a fully embraced huge, still clipped in. Shared some congratulations for a few minutes, he ribbed me about, " no more saddle time for him", and I went on to finish my own adventure. Congrats Ollie! Thanks everyone.
Craig Stappler.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1726 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:51 AM
RootingforEveryone

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »

Hey everyone. I'm in Tucson. Off to Fairwheel bikes for some boxing up, flight back to Calgary at 6pm. I'll post a bit longer account when I get home. It's very humbling to be followed so intently on these pages. It's too bad the tracker didn't work the whole last day. I thought I failed to turn it on properly in the morning in my hast to get away without Kurt and Garrett seeing me. Now that it seems to have worked until Silver City, I'm at a loss. All I can say is I tried to leave it all out there and ride hard for the finish. I'm thrilled for Ollie. We crossed paths at the top of the climb out of Silver city. He on his way to rest, me with a few more hard hours ahead. I saw a red car with a bike rack crest the hill and slow as someone inside noticed me. I instantly knew, Ollie! The car stopped, Ollie jumped out, I swerved across the highway and met him in a fully embraced huge, still clipped in. Shared some congratulations for a few minutes, he ribbed me about, " no more saddle time for him", and I went on to finish my own adventure. Congrats Ollie! Thanks everyone.
Craig Stappler.
Craig: We're all just VERY glad you were ok and finished!! :-) Have a wonderful & safe trip home! Thank YOU for letting us "share" your ride!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1727 on: June 26, 2012, 10:56:58 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 26, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »

Craig: We're all just VERY glad you were ok and finished!! :-) Have a wonderful & safe trip home! Thank YOU for letting us "share" your ride!

+1

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1728 on: June 26, 2012, 10:57:23 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1728 on: June 26, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »

Glanced at the dots this morning--  Eric S is doing very well (top 10) and making up a bit of lost ground for a guy who had to visit the Doc for some lung issues.  Considering the upcoming terrain he should be up with the blue tandem soon.

Ester should hit Silver City later today, humm- she is probably to far out for a single push even for her. She might stay over in SC and then do a run to the boarder in the early morning.  Or she could resupply, get out of SC and camp out under the bright desert stars for her final night of the TDR.

And there is a big group coming up on Cuba.  Should be some interesting finishing strategies forming in that group as they near the end.

Oh, and congrats to the top finishers—you gave all of us armchair racers a great show, and hey--the show, well it’s still going!!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1729 on: June 26, 2012, 11:19:05 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 26, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »

Jarral making good time to the finish.  4 to 6 more hours.  I'm sure he can taste the border.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1730 on: June 26, 2012, 11:22:37 AM
RonDog

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 26, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »

Jarral making good time to the finish.  4 to 6 more hours.  I'm sure he can taste the border.

That's about the same for Cjell I would imagine.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1731 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:35 AM
mwoody

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »

Have to say I have become addicted to the tracking and the forums.  

Someone posted a little bit of a rant about not having better coverage a couple days ago.  I guess someone is suppose to digest and post this for everyone else for free!?!?  

I personally have loved following it this way.   Having to root around a bit for info.  Posts from friends and family.   Listening to the occasional mtbcast (and thanks for the mtbcast posts!)

This is a great grassroots event.   Awesome humble athletes.   Great fan support for all riders.   Real esprit de corps kind of stuff.   Love the spirit and grace exhibited by CS and OW.  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1732 on: June 26, 2012, 11:27:54 AM
JF-mtnbiker

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 26, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »

Jarral making good time to the finish.  4 to 6 more hours.  I'm sure he can taste the border.

That taste is dirty sweat with a mix of old sunscreen right now.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1733 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:10 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1733 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

That taste is dirty sweat with a mix of old sunscreen right now.

Mmmmmm sunscreen.....

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1734 on: June 26, 2012, 11:54:42 AM
febikes

Custom steel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1734 on: June 26, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »

It was a great race, now I get to cheer on the Long Ranger as he pushes on towards an awesome finish.

It looks like he has all his earlier mechanical issues worked out and is keeping a good steady pace.

http://febikes.com
Custom steel bicycles frames built in Raleigh, NC.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1735 on: June 26, 2012, 11:56:33 AM
RootingforEveryone

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 26, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »

Cjell: Sorry to see that you are finishing the race in the rain! (Looked at your blog... seems as if your emotions win when lightning is around instead of your logic, but having been outside when lightning cracks extremely close to you, I don't blame you at all!!) I hope you get it done in a fairly quick amount of time so you can warm up with chocolate milk & a beer! :-)

Jarral: Congratulations on a wonderful race!! I am very impressed that you are able to continue doing what you want with diabetes. You should be an inspiration for anyone (with or without the disease!!).

Eszter: Hammer it! Zoom, zoom. You're almost done & crushing the record!

Tracy B: Your spirit and stamina is astounding!! Keep it up!!

I will keep "watching" until everyone is done!! Thank you all!!!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1736 on: June 26, 2012, 11:58:05 AM
RootingforEveryone

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: June 26, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »

It was a great race, now I get to cheer on the Long Ranger as he pushes on towards an awesome finish.

It looks like he has all his earlier mechanical issues worked out and is keeping a good steady pace.
Mark: I for one, enjoyed listening to your call-ins!! You had a great run!! You, as well as the others, are amazing!! Thank you!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1737 on: June 26, 2012, 12:05:43 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1737 on: June 26, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

Calls: Serge Chiasson called in from Antelope Wells! He’s done! And Michael Cleveland called in again from Rawlins. He blew his bb and is going to try to get a car and backtrack to Steamboat, get his bike fixed, and then continue from Rawlins.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1738 on: June 26, 2012, 12:18:12 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 26, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »

Cjell must have crossed paths today with Gen Shimizu, the unicyclist who started Saturday going south.

Gen's Facebook update:

"I'm alive! 109 miles in. Froze this morning wading through knee deep water on the roads. After a hot bath i can feel my legs again. Now for food, then updates. Good times. No bears yet."

3 wheels and 2 characters, would have liked to be a fly on a moose to witness that!  icon_biggrin  thumbsup

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1739 on: June 26, 2012, 12:25:31 PM
RootingforEveryone

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 26, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »

Cjell must have crossed paths today with Gen Shimizu, the unicyclist who started Saturday going south.

Does he have a spot tracker?
  Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: