Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 97
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #360 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:50 PM
MTRoad

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »

Interesting conversation on Tech - I think the SPOT Trackleaders is good info and so far the only thing I know for sure is that dot keeps moving.

Not to start a flame war but with younger people entering the race (and even "newer generations") Tech will play a bigger part in many ways lights are better so you can ride longer at night, packing, shelter, water filters, and Bikes are all better than what was used 5 years ago - you could argue this every year but the fact is tech (beyond electronics along) will make the race a different kind of race.  I did not get a cell phone till I was in my 30's but I see kids in my daughters grade school that have them - times are a changing....

But to regress  GREAT RACE!!!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #361 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:16 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »

Earlier: Rick Ashton called in from Seely Lake. He had a challenging day. Chris Tompkins called in from Lincoln. Bruce Giroux called in from Cuba. And Kevin Campagna called in from Helena.

Ed Turkaly called in from Lincoln with Jeff Stroot and Joseph Holway. Taylor Kruse called in from Lincoln. He’s dodging hail but is fine. Brett Simpson called in from Butte where he’s getting some repairs at The Outdoorsman! And Paul Vaughn called in to confirm he’s OUT!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td13/

Ed Turkaly mentions that Charles "Fenecks?" left his wallet at the gas station in Lincoln. I don't see a "Charles" on the leaderboard. If someone can let me know how that is I can put a message up on the voicemail greeting. mtbcast AT gmail.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:53:48 PM by mtbcast » Logged

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #362 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:02 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »

Interesting conversation on Tech...
The tech is OK. It's just having it spoon-fed by an outsider that I think goes beyond the spirit. Do it all yourself, all the googling, all the perusing on http://app.bluedot.mobi/, etc. It's OK to learn that you got off course by seeing it (for yourself) in your full history map on Trackleaders.com, but only if you go to the trouble of pulling it up / analyzing it yourself. Ultimately it's just another trapping, like motels and mail drops to POs, that future challengers will have to navigate. If you're looking at that stuff, you're not riding your bike, you're concerned unnecessarily with battery life, etc. To the end that tech might promote greater human feat / physical capacity, and thus deeper pain spelunking, then, OK, but if you just get sucked into it for the sake of googling, then you've lost the mission.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:13:08 PM by Mathewsen » Logged

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #363 on: June 19, 2013, 01:20:53 PM
Eszter

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 19, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

Now when you can hook your smartphone up to your bike and it pedals it for you...

I'll be the first to admit that after 18 hour stretches of not seeing anyone out there, getting to use McDonalds' wi-fi to peruse Facebook while eating was awesome.   

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #364 on: June 19, 2013, 01:21:30 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: June 19, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »

I would think the point at which you're out of batteries you might feel liberated.

EDIT: Says he who has a BT headset in his ear in nearly ever pic you see of him!?  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:32:04 PM by mtbcast » Logged

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #365 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:47 PM
gramma

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »

well said liney

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #366 on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:07 PM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »

deeper pain spelunking

BEST.QUOTE.EVER. I will be using that one...

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #367 on: June 19, 2013, 02:04:09 PM
cc4005

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 19, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »

No, northbound riders aren't factored in.  Northbound and southbound are two separate races, run concurrently.  I suppose it would be possible to rank folks according to total miles covered, which would be an interesting number, but not really too meaningful as far as racing goes.

Though Mr. Money might disagree with me there.  We'll see where the 'golden spike' hits this year!

Where exactly was last year's golden spike driven? Not much use for race analysis, but for curiosity's sake it might be interesting to see a symbol dropped on the TL Tracker and then another for this year's.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #368 on: June 19, 2013, 02:09:52 PM
MCR

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 19, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »

Daniel is slowly riding along with a split off-sized tire hoping to make it to Helena today to get a new one.  His tire is holding together with duct tape and zip ties.  And incredibly enough was holding air quite nicely.

Do you have a photo of this? It sounds like it might be visually interesting.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #369 on: June 19, 2013, 02:12:22 PM
larelsail

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 19, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »

Interesting discussion regarding the use of technology. It seems there are many valid points on all sides...it's a changing world and certainly riders are all at different levels of "techniness". My husband initially refused to take his phone, which was fine with me, given that he would have minimal cell service along the route anyway. He decided last minute to take it, instead of sending it home from Canada, and I can't say I have heard from him more because of it. If he is in a place with cell service, it is likely a place with land lines, too...like gas stations or TD rider-friendly establishments. I suppose he and fellow riders can use their smartphones when wifi is available to check trackleaders if they want. This is something that should be available to international riders who have smart phones, even without US service plans.

Thanks, Matthew Lee, for the reminders regarding information that shouldn't be conveyed to riders. We aren't out there, we don't really know the state the riders are in and I am sure that giving information that may change their course of action could actually be detrimental to them. If they choose to call home, I think that messages of love and support are best.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #370 on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:02 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: June 19, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »

Rich Otterstrom called in from Lincoln. And Craig Stappler called in from Jackson Lake Lodge!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #371 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Desert Pollo

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »

Where exactly was last year's golden spike driven? Not much use for race analysis, but for curiosity's sake it might be interesting to see a symbol dropped on the TL Tracker and then another for this year's.
This is from Cjell's account of last year's Golden Spike moment in the Great Basin of Wyoming.  Ollie and Craig may have a different story to tell...

"This is almost the exact place where I met Ollie and Craig as they made their way south. Side by each. I spotted them on a rise as they came towards me. I quickly laid down my bike and spread a few water bottles around the pavement (hadn’t seen a car for hours). I then laid next to the scene and looked as near death as I could."

This year Cjell is matching his 2012 pace so it might be another Great Basin moment.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #372 on: June 19, 2013, 02:31:45 PM
bluemarlin

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 19, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »

Not a big fan of social/media ec. either, but are those the vital concerns people have when it comes to integrity and the beauty of this race? I am not questioning the "free will", "mental math", "self pacing", "going organic", "personal enjoyment" explanations... but nobody worried about riding 230+mi for several days with literally no sleep?

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #373 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:27 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

I gotta say, I love the call ins on MTBcast. I'm particularly following Scott Thigpen and Drew Mcintosh, and it's always great to hear updates from those guys. C$ is really funny. They're a great compliment to the blue dots. Really put a story to the GPS. I can't wait to ride this race.

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #374 on: June 19, 2013, 03:06:33 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 19, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »

I think tech might even slow you down. Oh I gotta call the family tonight otherwise they might worry, returning calls, messing with facebook, looking at where other riders are etc. I just dont' know how tech can make you any faster? The whole key to this race is first the motor then the bike then the gear, then the weather, then luck. If you let other rider's position influence you then you might not go as fast as you would otherwise or you might push yourself so hard that you crack.
I imagine that is what Craig thought when he didn't take a phone. If someone who has done it can clearly state that tech made them faster I would like to hear how? For me it was just a time suck, kinda like this whole TD spot tracker forum thing!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #375 on: June 19, 2013, 03:10:24 PM
cc4005

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »

This is from Cjell's account of last year's Golden Spike moment in the Great Basin of Wyoming.  Ollie and Craig may have a different story to tell...

"This is almost the exact place where I met Ollie and Craig as they made their way south. Side by each. I spotted them on a rise as they came towards me. I quickly laid down my bike and spread a few water bottles around the pavement (hadn’t seen a car for hours). I then laid next to the scene and looked as near death as I could."

This year Cjell is matching his 2012 pace so it might be another Great Basin moment.

Thanks. I had forgotten about Sjell's account. That guy's blog is a hoot.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #376 on: June 19, 2013, 03:25:56 PM
larelsail

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 19, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »

Craig Stappler's last call in to mtbcast was quite timely. He said the best thing about the Jackson Lake Lodge is the internet, where he was able to check other riders' positions. He might be logging on to trackleaders when he can, but I'm pretty sure he's still getting his wilderness experience! :-)

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #377 on: June 19, 2013, 03:35:36 PM
bikingbakke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: June 19, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Craig Stappler's last call in to mtbcast was quite timely. He said the best thing about the Jackson Lake Lodge is the internet, where he was able to check other riders' positions. He might be logging on to trackleaders when he can, but I'm pretty sure he's still getting his wilderness experience! :-)
Re this and Tortoise's question, when I had spoken with him, he just said it wasn't worth the weight/space/distraction, and wasn't necessary due to services being available, knowing the route, having a map, having a GPS, and having studied them extensively.  I don't think he rendered particularly strong opinion on others using them, but in his view, going without wasn't undue hardship, and was within his interpretation of the spirit of event.

That's paraphrase, so hopefully not too far off.  It helps to have some external connection, like they get at the stops.  One year there were forest fires raging, and riders checked with locals and also internet for routing issues, advice, etc.  Who knows, there might be useful things like reports of aliens landing in new mexico again.  I think that although people do "check out" for the duration of the race, there's probably utility in checking in such that you know if your house has burnt down, your company filed for bankruptcy and you're fired so you might as well keep riding, that sort of thing ; )

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #378 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:45 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »

C$ gettin' his Marshall Pass climb on!

Hey Forest Baker ... here's to hoping you get new batteries in your Spot unit, or turn the thing back on!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #379 on: June 19, 2013, 03:58:56 PM
Donald

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »

It seems remarkable that is this most American of bike races, the leading six places are filled by men from the old British Empire. Indeed, without wishing to offend Yankee sensibilities, it seems certain at this early stage that a loyal subject of Queen Elizabeth II will win the race. It looks as though Sara Dallman will salvage some American pride in the women's race but can we expect the flower of American men's cycling to gird its loins and mount a serious attempt to claim back the Rockies next year?
  Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 97
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: