Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #400 on: June 18, 2010, 05:43:33 PM
Bounce

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »

Hi Bounce,

I'm concerned because the rule states that in case of emergency you may catch a ride in any direction EXCEPT forward on the route, for the reasons that Matthew stated in the FAQ.

If he hitched a ride to Lima via an alternate route, even if that way crossed the main route, he would be OK, as Matthew has clarified in the FAQ.

You already stated that there isn't an alternate route.  How is he going to hitch a ride to Lima via an alternate route if there isn't one?  Moreover, you correctly state that Matthew was standing there in Lima when he got there.  Using the facts as you've stated them, I don't see an issue.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #401 on: June 18, 2010, 05:45:24 PM
KootenayB

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »

Totally agree with you BobM!!!

The way the rule reads it seems that there may be a relegation issue (if Erik did in fact travel forward by car on the route), but I think that would be so unfortunate as surely he wasn't trying to gain any advantage; rather, he was just trying to get to the only even reasonably close town where he could start to address his mechanical issues.  He suffered a 1-day delay already for his misfortune, so to be relegated would be really, really sad, and I'd argue not in keeping with the intent of the rule or spirit of this endeavor.  Don't know the guy, but his fighting spirit to go after ML again is fantastic!!!

And thanks for the clarification on the fairing issue - makes total sense.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #402 on: June 18, 2010, 07:39:12 PM
northofbeyond

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »

You already stated that there isn't an alternate route.  How is he going to hitch a ride to Lima via an alternate route if there isn't one?  Moreover, you correctly state that Matthew was standing there in Lima when he got there.  Using the facts as you've stated them, I don't see an issue.

The rules state that he couldn't move forward "on route" which he clearly did. He was able to see the forward route twice before doing it again on his bike, and the rules are in place to prevent reconnaissance of the route. I totally agree that this is sad, but Erik clearly has to scratch unless the rule is changed. Continuing is good experience for next year however.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #403 on: June 18, 2010, 08:16:27 PM
looper

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 18, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »

The point of the rule is to keep riders from benefiting from a car ride. Did Erik Benefit from loosing an entire day.  Should all racers who have raced in previous years scratch because they have reconnaissance of the route?  Maybe matt should scratch because he knows the route and the stops and the people on the way so well that he has serious reconnaissance of the route, he definitely has an advantage. Was there and alternative route to Lima? No.  Erik’s choice was to take the random ride from the remote spot where he had an issue or to stay there and get hypothermia this should cost him the race?  There was no alternative. Obviously Mathew the maker of the rules was aware of his situation.  I kind of cant believe this is still being discussed. The rules are to keep people from cheating do you think that was what Erik was attempting? He has made no effort to get an extra advantage over other riders. The racers who skiped some passes last year and took the highway instead they deserve to scratch. He has suffered enough walking and waiting and loosing a day let the race go on.

Hey North of Beyond get that stick out of your ass.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:29:10 PM by looper » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #404 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:46 PM
northofbeyond

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:46 PM »

Hey Looper,

I didn't write the rules. But I can read. There will <always> be circumstances that will make folks want to circumvent rules, pull at the heartstrings, and even point out failings in the rules. Life isn't always fair. It's a bummer to have so many mechanical failures, but luck is part of every race.

Nothing keeps any of the riders from doing recon before the race starts. The rules are written to prevent intel of conditions ahead during the time period of the race. I'm sure that Matt would tell you that it's a different race every time (although previous riders do have the advantage of knowing the turns -- that's called practice).

Erik gave it his best shot.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #405 on: June 18, 2010, 08:40:09 PM
Cyclesafe

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 18, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »

To stay clear of Rule #4 Erik would have had to walk his bike the remaining 20-25 miles to Lima.  In view of the conditions, this might have been foolhardy.

In my humble view, Rule #4 should be amended to permit forward movement in vehicles to effect repairs to bike or body as long as bike and body resume from the point of pick-up - just as Erik did.  To strictly invoke Rule #4 as written today would be unconscionable.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #406 on: June 18, 2010, 08:48:46 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: June 18, 2010, 08:48:46 PM »

Wow, it seem that the Great Divide Race is dead. Nathan can still have a good time and go for the US record, but I don't think there can be a race with just 1 rider. Guess it was inevitable.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #407 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00:13 PM
naked indian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »

I think some folks are putting bladders in frame bags, no?

thats how I do it.

ChEcK OuT ThE NaKeD InDIaN ChrOniClEs: http://singletracksamurai.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #408 on: June 18, 2010, 09:11:54 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 18, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »

I'm probably not gonna make any friends here but what initially attracted me to this type of racing was the "no rules" approach. I was sick of NORBA and USCF telling me what I could and could not do. Marshal Bird is a friend of mine who is in the race this year. I was really looking forward to meeting up with him and cheering him on but he politely asked me not to because of a new rule change. Plenty of people met their significant others/friends last year for a meal and I see nothing wrong with that. Everyone has the opportunity to do that (although for some it may be a bigger ordeal/expense). I would argue whether that's a motivational boost or a potential reason to quit when you see that familiar face. I just received my copy of the TD movie and while I have nothing personal against anyone racing...we all have the ability to check the leaderboard while in towns. Personally I feel like that has a much bigger impact on the race than seeing your wife if she chooses to make the drive. I am planning on doing this event next year and do intend on meeting my wife and puppies if they'll agree to it. In the end...I'm doing the ride for me. It upsets me that I see my name as a DNF on the CTR site but I've come to the realization that I'm doing this for me and that's it. I suppose that will be the deal for next year as well. It would be a tremendous accomplishment to do this ride and make some new friends along the way despite whether or not all of the rules were followed.

I hope this didn't come across as me being a d!ck. Please understand that I do think there need to be rules. Then again I could just be being a d!ck because I went in for my second root canal in a month today and after 4 different drugs and close to 20 shots in the mouth, the doctor couldn't do it because apparently I'm immune to the sedatives.  

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #409 on: June 18, 2010, 09:21:16 PM
heathercycle

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 18, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »

When Eric got the mechanical it seemed like he was with Matt or close to him.  If he was with him then he most likely asked Matt what he could do.  So there is not reason to speculate if he is out or not because he could have gotten permission. 

Anyway I think the rule was intended to prevent a person from going foward via a car to gain position,Eric's intentions were not to gain position but to fix a bike and then head back to where he got the ride.  There is not difference in what he did then if he had gotten the ride back to Butte, he still would have gone back to the same spot before Lima, so I do not see where the advantage is.

Either way I hope he catches Matt and makes this even more exciting, and I think Matt will appreciate the competition.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #410 on: June 18, 2010, 09:25:25 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: June 18, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »

I'm probably not gonna make any friends here but what initially attracted me to this type of racing was the "no rules" approach. I was sick of NORBA and USCF telling me what I could and could not do. Marshal Bird is a friend of mine who is in the race this year. I was really looking forward to meeting up with him and cheering him on but he politely asked me not to because of a new rule change. Plenty of people met their significant others/friends last year for a meal and I see nothing wrong with that. Everyone has the opportunity to do that (although for some it may be a bigger ordeal/expense). I would argue whether that's a motivational boost or a potential reason to quit when you see that familiar face. I just received my copy of the TD movie and while I have nothing personal against anyone racing...we all have the ability to check the leaderboard while in towns. Personally I feel like that has a much bigger impact on the race than seeing your wife if she chooses to make the drive. I am planning on doing this event next year and do intend on meeting my wife and puppies if they'll agree to it. In the end...I'm doing the ride for me. It upsets me that I see my name as a DNF on the CTR site but I've come to the realization that I'm doing this for me and that's it. I suppose that will be the deal for next year as well. It would be a tremendous accomplishment to do this ride and make some new friends along the way despite whether or not all of the rules were followed.

I hope this didn't come across as me being a d!ck. Please understand that I do think there need to be rules. Then again I could just be being a d!ck because I went in for my second root canal in a month today and after 4 different drugs and close to 20 shots in the mouth, the doctor couldn't do it because apparently I'm immune to the sedatives. 

If you dont agree with the rules do your own thing, nothing stopping yah from doing any route... however if your towing the line at the start then you should follow the rules...  Rise to the level of the event vs. dumbing it down to yours

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #411 on: June 18, 2010, 09:27:33 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: June 18, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »

When Eric got the mechanical it seemed like he was with Matt or close to him.  If he was with him then he most likely asked Matt what he could do.  So there is not reason to speculate if he is out or not because he could have gotten permission. 

Anyway I think the rule was intended to prevent a person from going foward via a car to gain position,Eric's intentions were not to gain position but to fix a bike and then head back to where he got the ride.  There is not difference in what he did then if he had gotten the ride back to Butte, he still would have gone back to the same spot before Lima, so I do not see where the advantage is.

Either way I hope he catches Matt and makes this even more exciting, and I think Matt will appreciate the competition.

Hard to know arm-chairing the race, the rules have been discussed ad-nusium in other threads, always give the benefit of the doubt when your sitting x amount of miles away Wink

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #412 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:20 PM
heathercycle

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »

I must be out of the loop but what does arm-chairing the race mean?

I love riding in Hurricane by the way!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #413 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:03 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »

I must be out of the loop but what does arm-chairing the race mean?

I love riding in Hurricane by the way!

Armchair quarterbacking like when you watch football on tv =)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #414 on: June 18, 2010, 10:00:43 PM
heathercycle

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 18, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »

Well I know about what a Quarterback does so thanks for defining for me Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #415 on: June 18, 2010, 10:03:04 PM
heathercycle

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 18, 2010, 10:03:04 PM »

I'll be in Hurricane on Nov 6th doing the frog hollow race. thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #416 on: June 18, 2010, 10:04:38 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: June 18, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »

I'll be in Hurricane on Nov 6th doing the frog hollow race. thumbsup

cool solo? team?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #417 on: June 18, 2010, 10:06:51 PM
heathercycle

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 18, 2010, 10:06:51 PM »

Team for sure, solo is crazy. lol

One day I'll do solo maybe.

Doing a womans team we are called the "Nutcrackers"  it will make for a great costume for sure.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #418 on: June 18, 2010, 10:09:37 PM
multisportscott

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 18, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »

Hey Elvis, do you have a link to any info on the Aussie event??

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #419 on: June 19, 2010, 02:09:24 AM
MrWaves

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 19, 2010, 02:09:24 AM »

Great race - and with the poor conditions, it looks like a real challenge to achieve. If anyone is running a book - my money is on Erik Lobeck, I can see him slowly cathcing up with Mat.

Last year I decided to ride the GDMBR as a through ride and came across this race while searching the web for help in preparing for it. Its purity - no support sounds great but putting it into rules has created a minefield for everyone. I probably won't ride the route as an ITTD, as I don't need others to rubber stamp my achievement. Similarly the crazy position where the rules get too zelous - such as when an independant race watcher turned up with a new wheel last year, or now when Erik is apparently in breach of the forward moving rule, doesn't affect who I think completed the race distance. They  have in my view, and hopefully theirs, the credit for that achievement, and nit picking the rules can't change that.
  Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: