Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #620 on: June 24, 2010, 03:56:01 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 24, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »

This just sucks.

Dave was in the bunk across from mine at the Y so I got to know him a little bit before the race.  A very nice guy.  Although he was obviously well prepared for the race he didn't brag, didn't predict outcomes, no trash talk.

The world needs more people like him, not fewer.

Bob

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #621 on: June 24, 2010, 03:58:40 PM
cbillman

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 24, 2010, 03:58:40 PM »

Absolutely devastating news. Words fail me. Prayers for Dave's family and friends ...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #622 on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:49 PM
Magoo

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »

I also like so many others, became to know Dave through his blog, watching his riding and listening to his call ins. This guy without a doubt has a very stand up character. May the Lord Almighty bless his family with the strength to carry on as he would like to see. My thoughts and prayers will go out for them.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #623 on: June 24, 2010, 04:27:33 PM
luckylarue

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 24, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »

I can't believe this...it makes all the bickering about rules and what "place" people are in seem totally meaningless.  This guy is a total stranger to me but I'm sitting here in tears.  If I were racing I don't think I could continue in "race" mode.  I'd wait for everyone behind me and ride en masse to the border.  But that's my own selfish viewpoint.  I'm going to dedicate my next ride to a stranger and maybe next year's td.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #624 on: June 24, 2010, 04:39:54 PM
sunmac5

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 24, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »

crybaby2  Words can not express the loss Dave's  "extended family" feels. Though many of us have never met him, his enthusiasm for the ride, race and life could be seen in his pictures, read in his blog and heard in his calls. He will be missed but remembered. angel8 We take comfort in knowing he is sure to be enjoying the scenery of an eternal adventure.

The Christensen Family (Shawn Sheppard's in laws)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #625 on: June 24, 2010, 04:53:08 PM
Spoonie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: June 24, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

Very Sad News...  I was a bit of a Dave B fan after reading his blog and following his podcasts probably fair to say there were many of us in Oz tracking his progress via the TDR pages.  It's sad to lose such a seemingly standup fellow from the MTB community. 

My thoughts and Best Wishes to all those that knew him personally!

Cheers
Spoonie

Solo-Nutter (defn): A member of an elite breed of hardened idiot...
SpoonBoy

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #626 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:26 PM
ridingman1

Drinkin' upstream from the herd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »

So sorry to hear about Dave Blumenthal. He continues in our memories  - I know from what I learned about him from this website, that he died doing what he loved, with people he enjoyed. My prayers go to his family, especially his children. May the Peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep us in everlasting life.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #627 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:34 PM
bruce.b

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »

Such terrible news. My condolences to his family.
   bruce.b

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #628 on: June 24, 2010, 05:16:41 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: June 24, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »

wow. saddness in vt this evening.

this is pretty much all i saw of him after the start on last years 300k around the lake.
we chatted on the bike path heading to the ferry and i ran into a time or two in montyp at positive pie.

what a great guy...

so sad.
pedal on dave, pedal on.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #629 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23:29 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »

not sure if this link was posted yet - but the local paper picked up the story:

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20100624/NEWS/100629983

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #630 on: June 24, 2010, 06:52:01 PM
protoceratops

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 24, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »

Wow.  What a shock.  Never met any of you nice folks, but this is somehow personal.

Be extra careful out there, everybody.  Every time you are on the bike, ok?

Condolences to the family...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #631 on: June 24, 2010, 06:55:32 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 24, 2010, 06:55:32 PM »

Dave was a frequent contributor here on Bikepacking.net. During those posts, I found him to be a lover of the outdoors. Rightly so, he decided to do the Tour Divide despite the time he would be away from his family. As people mentioned earlier, his last blog entry is a perfect reflection of his life, one of family (first) and the outdoors.

It breaks my heart to hear of his departure from us. Prayers to his wife, daughter and family.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #632 on: June 24, 2010, 07:22:26 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: June 24, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »

Just got a call from Matthew Lee. We actually spoke before he called the race line. He's riding on for Dave and the race will continue in his name.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #633 on: June 24, 2010, 08:48:51 PM
northofbeyond

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 24, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »

Matthew, definitely carry on. Dave will long be remembered for taking on his dream of doing the TD; the preparation and excitement that are obvious in his blog leading up to the start are very touching.

Carry Dave in your heart to AW for those of us out here watching.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #634 on: June 24, 2010, 09:19:08 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #634 on: June 24, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »

Episode TD Day 14 GDR Day 7 is up. There's 3 minutes of silence in memory of Dave. http://tinyurl.com/2v33ou7

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #635 on: June 24, 2010, 09:35:54 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 24, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »

Just got a call from Matthew Lee. We actually spoke before he called the race line. He's riding on for Dave and the race will continue in his name.

Joe...that was extremely touching on your part as well as Matthews. Class act for sure. Thanks so much.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #636 on: June 24, 2010, 11:32:41 PM
DiDaDunlop

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 24, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »

I am at a loss for words.

As a european I have never met Dave or any of the other riders. But the comments and views that were shared here and on the TD site were inspiring to me to pick up this subset of MTB-ing.

Thoughts and my condolences to the family and friends of Dave.

And for the rest of the riders. Be strong and safe!

_ Bikepacking in the not so hilly Netherlands_

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #637 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:43 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:43 AM »

Regarding Dave’s death

Hello all!

My name is Michael and I am from Germany and I am following the race, all the stuff around it and the discussions here at the board with great interest. Despite the fact that I am not able to following all the discussions here because many of  the threads contain a lot of colloquial or slang language what you don’t learn at school. (I understand or can translate the words but I don’t understand the meaning).

Since I read an article in a very popular german Bike Magazin in 2008 about the first official TD race and at least my wife bought me the book “Cycling the Great Divide” in Banff last year for my birthday, I am obsessed by the desire to join the race in 2012. 2012, because I need the time to prepare me, a new bike, the gear and my family.
Even though my obsession, thoughts like travelling  5000 miles to a “foreign” country with a “foreign” language nearly four weeks or more depart from family, home and friends to ride a totally crazy race are laying heavy on my mind. And friends and family are just not make the situation better, because they confirm that I totally insane. But I guess everyone who practice some sports in a more serious or in some kind of extreme way can tell the same story and has to deal with the same questions and doubts. So Dave did it as well (I read it on his blog).
But I think no one and I really mean no one can imagine the spell, be it an huge event like the TD or just a smaller multi day trip anywhere in the world, is casting on you, if you have not self experienced that.
During my bike career I couldn’t really figure out or explain what kind of force or power drive us (me) to participate a marathon race or multi day trips (races).
Some years ago I found an article in the same popular german bike magazine that deals with the same “Why” question. And the answer is really close to what I feel and maybe an answer to everyone who can't not exactly define the drive behind that issue. The author was riding the Naturaid. This is a supported multi day race in the Moroccan desert.
I hope the translation is not too bad!

Quote:
Beforehand I had been thinking, against whom or what I really struggle here. The others are definitely not. I would be happy in full possession of all body functions to achieve the goal. It is the inner temptation, which I want to kick in the ass during a challenge like that. Because in our civilized life instincts atrophy. Because remote controls, escalators and automobile insanity let shrink the muscles. Because you feel like a fucking wimp, is as simple as that. In our well-ordered society adrenaline flows through our veins but most, in the hunt for bargains and bonus points. Previously, the nature was the enemy of the people. Today our air conditioning and functional fabrics protect us of their whims. We have it easy and convenient. But the big portion of security gnaws at the psyche. Adventure like the Naturaid are the last frontier experience that we find in modern civilization. Each marathon is run on that ground.
You will benefit from such an experience in everyday life. The best moment is the one where fear and doubt, leave the body through the perspiratory glands.

Quote end

Once you have an special event in your mind you don’t get it out. You waste a lot of time and money for training and gear. It become a must! Otherwise your life feels like an unfinished symphony. That’s it!     

The tragic death of Dave casting a more critical light on my intention to start in 2012. It’s worth it to put your life at stake for a dream? This question is always buried deep in every racers mind and come to light on accidents like happened to Dave.
Of course there is an additional potential risk for injury or death on an multi week backpacking trip like the TD, but in my opinion the risk isn’t much higher like the risk you encounter in your every day business. Crossing the street, driving your car, doing homework or what ever isn’t much safer like the TD. The difference is you think that it is, because you are living in a apparently safe environment you're familiar with and everything what is outside your safe enclave is fairly unsafe, because you are less familiar with it. But this security is a false security.   

What telling Dave’s family that I don’t know at all? I haven’t got the faintest idea. Only this that my thought and prayers will be with you. And an advise from my own experience: The question - What if he had better not done the race or what if he had only one minute later passed the road, won’t really comfort you at all! 

Kind regards from Germany

Michael

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #638 on: June 25, 2010, 04:10:37 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 25, 2010, 04:10:37 AM »

Followup article in the Steamboat Pilot:

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2010/jun/24/bicyclist-dies-after-steamboat-area-crash/

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2010 Reply #639 on: June 25, 2010, 05:20:24 AM
Stinkybikeseat

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 25, 2010, 05:20:24 AM »

Last night I cried
This morning more of the same
I pray for his wife
I pray for his dad and mom
I pray for his brothers and sisters (assuming he has them)
I pray for his daughter
I pray for all those who mourn his lose
I hugged my wife this morning as I left for my 5:00 AM bike ride harder then I have in a long time.
This afternoon I will ride my mtb with my son (11yrs old) as we preride a race course in prep for Saturday
with Dave in mind I will be patient at all times with my son
I will Cherish every moment with my son and ride behind him as he hurries up a hill or down a tricky descent
it will bring a smile to my face
today my daughter (15yrs old) returns from a week at mission trip
with Dave in mind I will give her a hug as never before and smile with pride for the work she does
we will celebrate her birthday on Sunday and I will cherish it
with Dave in mind I will hug and give my wife a kiss good night.

Thanks for this gift you gave me Dave I will "play, visit, and support"  My wife and kids like I never have before.
Because you just never know what the trail ahead brings.
  Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: