Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #400 on: January 09, 2013, 03:39:54 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: January 09, 2013, 03:39:54 AM »

whoa...that's kinda cool, I think.

would you use something like that on the tour divide? 

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #401 on: January 09, 2013, 08:41:00 AM
Thumby

Tell me, where is this mythical convenience store?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: January 09, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »

North of Butte is no biggie. The only time your the track on the GPS will fail you is leaving town. If my memory serves me correctly the route calls for the SB rider to take a simple interchange from I15 to I90 (as they arrive), where the NB rider has a interchange that lies a far ways off that of the SB rider's. Pull of google maps and have a look at the 90 to 15 interchange and you'll easily see what i'm talking about. North of there you're just on the other side of the road.
I'm with you so far Cjell, thanks.  Your description gets a NB rider up I-15, but once atop I-15 over Butte I'm left stranded (mentally) as to how a rider crosses the interstate to get to the west side.  Is there an underpass I simply don't remember? 

Tour Divide 2011 GD

I live on a big round ball, I never do dream I may fall.
And even if one day I do, I'll jump off and smile back at you.  -Jesse Winchester

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #402 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38:54 AM
cjellmoney

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »

I'm with you so far Cjell, thanks.  Your description gets a NB rider up I-15, but once atop I-15 over Butte I'm left stranded (mentally) as to how a rider crosses the interstate to get to the west side.  Is there an underpass I simply don't remember? 

As soon as there's an frontage, exit and hop on it. looks like exit 134 to me. After a while on that frontage the route grabs an old rail bed that runs up and above the interstate.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #403 on: January 09, 2013, 03:13:35 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 09, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »

Second that...underpass at Exit 134.  Same exit/ramp area where SB riders hop onto the I-15 shoulder.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #404 on: January 10, 2013, 12:56:37 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 10, 2013, 12:56:37 AM »

I've been thinking along the same lines. Use a large, ideally square bladder, fold and tape it to fit your frame. Considering the dark side, using a bladder.

Any specific reason to switch from bottles Craig?

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #405 on: January 10, 2013, 02:13:37 AM
LenzMan

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2013, 02:13:37 AM »

I had amazing service at bike shops in Whitefish and in Helena too.....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #406 on: January 11, 2013, 08:29:07 PM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 11, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »

would you use something like that on the tour divide?
If I can get a 2.5 to 3 liter bladder to fit into my very compact frame triangle, I think so. I made it through 95% of the route with three large specialized bottles, roughly 2.2 liters. I also carried a two liter bladder, which was needed maybe four or five times. Pulled it out for the first time in the basin to give you an idea. I'd be comfortable with a 3 liter capacity, you can always throw a disposable 600 gatorade in your pocket. I also need to test drinking from a bladder, low in your frame.

Any specific reason to switch from bottles Craig?
I prefer bottles for everything. Haven't used a bladder or camelback for 10 years. Working on becoming a weight weeny, thinking outside the box or bottle in this case. I realized that my specialized big mouth bottles weigh 90- 100 grams a piece. Add carbon cages and bolts, multiply by 3 and I had invested a little under 400 grams in fluid transport. I also had a two liter platypus big zip bladder that weighs 157 grams. If I could trade it all for a 6 liter platypus water tank listed at 124 grams, I would shave nearly a full pound while retaining the same functional water capacity for 99% of the route. Just thinking.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:58:33 PM by stappy » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #407 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:21 PM
Mike K.

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »

Hi this is the 2012 rider Chris B. calls Mike#2.  I loved riding with you Chris and everyone else I met along the way. Some wacky, fun times, for sure.  Hardest thing I've ever done, mentally and physically. I loved every minute of it, though!!!

Made it to Lynxx Pass south of Steamboat in 18 days where a mechanical stopped me. I was mentally pretty well done, too, at that point. Fun reading the "getting ready for 2013" messages - here are my thoughts for folks.

Matthew, Scott, and the many GDR legends are beyond cool.  Hope y'all get to know many of them. They have my utmost respect.

Live off the land. If you can't buy it at a gas station or scrounge it, you don't need it. If you can't eat or drink it, it's ballast.

It was way colder than I thought it would be. Dangerously cold. Be prepared to power/warm yourself 20 plus hours a day for 20 plus days. Unless you're an elite soldier or super human, it's almost impossible to train for or fully appreciate this. TDR is not just a bike race.

There are three good bike shops spread out along the route. Be prepared to buy new drive trains plus various bits at each. Then think about if you want to run high end set ups. Simplicity and constant mobility/progress is paramount.

If you like sleeping literally in the dirt and/or inside outhouses, this is you're event! Seriously, dont worry about technical details - the best bivy is the one that you know how to use, helps you recover, and fits in your bag.

TDR is vast almost beyond comprehension. Frankly it's dangerous. It will bend your mind and break you - every day. Veteran knowledge is a huge advantage. Be mindful, stay safe, and enjoy!

Politeness, gratuity, and respect for the land helps future riders.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:55:41 AM by Mike K. » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #408 on: January 12, 2013, 07:15:10 AM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2013, 07:15:10 AM »

Mauro that Goal Zero got really iffy reviews on Amazon - can you report back when you have tested it out?

I think its pretty good for what it is. It fully charged my HTC Desire HD smart phone and my  Sony cyber shot camera. With the stock rechargeable batteries it weighs 171g without batteries 58g.

Having finalised my sleeping kit I have started looking at clothing choices, to help with this I have started to look at the historical wether data to help inform what level of insulation layers will be necessary. I found this site which provides lots of useful info http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/CWZG/2011/6/14/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA . Just thought i'd share.

Are most of you guys running a long sleeve summer / autumn jersey as a base layer?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #409 on: January 12, 2013, 08:14:06 AM
Mike K.

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »

Having ridden in 2012, this is what my future rig/kit will be until at least Steamboat:

On bike:
1. water cages/bottles x 3 (2,500 ml)
2. ground pad
3. frame bag
4. feed bag x 2
5. front bar dry bag
6. gps and narrative

Wear or store in frame bag:
1. shoes with wool socks x 2 plus gortex socks
2. glasses
3. helmet with rain cover
4. headband and balaclava
5. wool jersey (long sleeve) - 3 pockets in back
6. arm warmers
7. underwear
8. winter tights
9. wind vest - 2 pockets in front
10. rain jacket/gloves

Front bar/cockpit:
1. sleeping bag and quilt
2. feed bag x 2
3. iPhone (GPS) - SIM turned off
4. narrative (directions and resupply)

Left side frame bag:
1. passport, credit card, health insurance card, cash
2. flashlight (fits helmet)
3. spare AA batteries (flashlight and GPS)
4. pump, tools, scissors
5. bleach (drops bottle)
6. caffeine pills, nicotine gum, analgesic, alka-seltzer, 2 olive oil packets
7. neosporin, peroxide (drops bottle), sun screen (minimal through MT)
8. electrolyte pills -1 day's worth

Right frame bag:
1. unused riding clothes
2. extra food/water (only as needed)
3. inflatable ground pad
4. foam ground pad (on top tube)
5. tarp/bivy
6. narrative
7. battery charger, wall charger (one cord for both)
8. drive belt, 2 tubes, 100 ml sealant, 2 brake pads

cid:4C6A5498-CF3E-46ED-B57E-3B6AF5EB38F9/everything%2520carried.JPG

* photo.JPG (36.34 KB, 320x240 - viewed 374 times.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:54:35 PM by Mike K. » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #410 on: January 12, 2013, 11:34:20 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

Hi this is the 2012 rider Chris B. calls Mike#2.  I loved riding with you Chris and everyone else I met along the way. Some wacky, fun times, for sure.  Hardest thing I've ever done, mentally and physically. I loved every minute of it, though!!!

Hey Mike #2 :-) With the later start this June will you be able to make it now? Had lunch with JD this week in Toronto - we'd love to ride with you again!

Thought you might like to share your iPhone setup that you used last year for navigation. I've got the Android solution down pat, but for those who have gone over to the Borg an iPhone solution beckons!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #411 on: January 12, 2013, 12:19:33 PM
Mike K.

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 12, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »

Hey Chris. Come see me in DC again!  I've got great training rides to show you.

I'd love to ride this year, but can't for family reasons. I'm hoping for 2014, though.

- printed narrative/resupply on waterproof paper
- AT&T iPhone 4 with Lifeproof case and the SIM lock feature enabled
- 2012 GPX file from Scott
- MotionX GPS iPhone app with predownloaded detailed topographic and road maps
- backup of the printed narrative on the iPhone as Goodreader documents
- wall charger (the small adapter with the short cable)
- AA battery charger (that uses the wall charger cable)
- AA battery flashlight that fits my helmet

The only change from 2012 would be using waterproof paper.

The narrative is primary.  The GPS is for double checking and backup.

My biggest issue in 2012 was lack of big picture situational awareness. This summer and fall I finished the route study and rewriting the narrative that I should have done before 2012. Plus having actually been there for about 2/3 of it helps a bit.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #412 on: January 13, 2013, 03:21:23 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: January 13, 2013, 03:21:23 AM »

I have a coach, he's got me training around 20 hours a week (sometimes I have big weeks which are much more than 20).  I'm on the east coast so pre-riding sections of the TD is impossible before the race, so we try to create divide like situations over here...but generally I spend my weekends in the saddle climbing and long distance.

I like being alone, rain doesn't really bother me, I like camping and I can handle big terrible situations. 

So that part of things I'm prepared for (or at least I feel like I am).

what I struggle with is:

1. I'm always cold and have yet to find a way to deal with it.  I've asked before and have not gotten a clear answer - what's the temperature like in Banff and then after that, the average temperature?  40's? 30's? Below freezing?

2. Little disasters generally trip me up.  on the TNGA I lost my iphone and that about did me in mentally.  Also, one time I left my bike bag open (i'm infamous for doing that) and everything fell out and I didn't notice it. 

So I'm working on those two things above.  Yesterday's training ride: I got run off the road twice during the road section of my training, then was bit by a guy's dog who had it off leash and I cracked my iphone - I was pissed but tried to flip it and make it a positive.  wasn't easy.

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #413 on: January 13, 2013, 07:42:44 AM
Mike K.

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 13, 2013, 07:42:44 AM »

20 hours a week is a good base especially if it includes lots of hard intervals.  That training is averaging three hours per day training with 21 hours of recovery. Invert those numbers, and do it day after day, that's the harsh TDR reality.  It's beautiful but painful and will for sure bend your mind.

No matter what riders will be cold - you have to accept that you'll be uncomfortable. The key is to keep functioning and moving. In 2012 Canada, Montana, Idaho, and northern Wyoming had overnights in the 30s going up to the 40s or 50s during the day. Relatively little time is spent at high altitude, but you sure feel the cold up there, especially the top part of the long descents.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #414 on: January 13, 2013, 08:20:35 AM
Prometheus

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2013, 08:20:35 AM »

Navigation and start time question

Hi All,

I was wondering how necessary the que sheets are.  I already have the ACA maps and plan to use the Garmin etrax 20 or 30 with the file downloads.  Is this good enough, or are the que sheets necessary to keep form getting lost.  If they are needed, I thought I read on this post someone had a word file of the sheets they are willing to share, but can't find the link now.  I was thinking of making my own if needed, not to save money because price is very reasonable form AA, but to customize my own notes and printing.  If someone has already started a word version and could share, that would be greatly appreciated (if not a copyright from ACA)

Second question.  For the Grad Depart, is there usually an actual start time on June 14th, or do people just roll out whenever they get going?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #415 on: January 13, 2013, 09:00:39 AM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »

I was wondering how necessary the que sheets are.
Unnecessary. I took Marshall Bird's advice, never made or used any ques from the maps or narratives. I followed his lead and made profiles from the split pieces of the track using Topofusion. These cues highlighted elevation and distance but zero direction. I added towns, resources and trail/ road surface. Next time I'll put in split times between each point. You could get a rough idea of all this simply by switching back and forth to the profile view on your GPS while following the track. Navigation is handled solely by GPS, why would you want to look at maps or tedious cues/cycle-computers anyway? I also cut the service directories out of the maps and carried those. But sometimes it is nice to have the actual map to grasp the next several hours. For a rookie, I would use GPS with topo maps installed, have some sort of profile/ key resource cues and carry the maps for reference.
For the Grad Depart, is there usually an actual start time on June 14th, or do people just roll out whenever they get going?
There is of course an actual start time, which is kind of the point of a GD.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #416 on: January 13, 2013, 09:27:34 AM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »

I have a coach, he's got me training around 20 hours a week
I don't think I know anyone who consistently trains 20 hours per week. Should be more than enough for base fitness. When I raced TD my theory was that my regular riding and racing would cover most of the bases. I didn't really do anything more or different and I felt good on the divide. Example, I raced my last normal race about 12 days beforehand, didn't switch to divide mode until about 10 days out. So if you are a bike racer, with race fitness and some long rides thrown in, actual fitness shouldn't be a concern.
I'm always cold and have yet to find a way to deal with it.
Bring the appropriate gear for your individual needs. If you are typically cold, then a warmer sleep system and an extra layer will be worth far more than the weight they add to you kit. Having the right gear can be the difference between staying relatively comfortable and a dnf. I carried head to toe rain gear and was glad I did. I also remember touching the cold threshold of my clothing at some point every day until Colorado.
Little disasters generally trip me up.
Off the cuff answer, "Well then you're F***ed!" But seriously, for this type of event this is probably more important than fitness or gear. Take opportunities in you life and riding, to train your mental toughness. Between now and June 14th, when anything bad, tough or unexpected happens to you, Instead of getting upset, embrace it, look at it as a chance to practice positivity and perseverance in the face of adversity.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #417 on: January 13, 2013, 10:21:59 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2013, 10:21:59 AM »

I don't think I know anyone who consistently trains 20 hours per week. Should be more than enough for base fitness. When I raced TD my theory was that my regular riding and racing would cover most of the bases. I didn't really do anything more or different and I felt good on the divide. Example, I raced my last normal race about 12 days beforehand, didn't switch to divide mode until about 10 days out. So if you are a bike racer, with race fitness and some long rides thrown in, actual fitness shouldn't be a concern.Bring the appropriate gear for your individual needs. If you are typically cold, then a warmer sleep system and an extra layer will be worth far more than the weight they add to you kit. Having the right gear can be the difference between staying relatively comfortable and a dnf. I carried head to toe rain gear and was glad I did. I also remember touching the cold threshold of my clothing at some point every day until Colorado.Off the cuff answer, "Well then you're F***ed!" But seriously, for this type of event this is probably more important than fitness or gear. Take opportunities in you life and riding, to train your mental toughness. Between now and June 14th, when anything bad, tough or unexpected happens to you, Instead of getting upset, embrace it, look at it as a chance to practice positivity and perseverance in the face of adversity.

I agree with this quite a bit.

As far as the cold:
The mental capacity to suffer will only get you so far. If it's freezing out and you don't have enough layer to get yourself out of your bivy... Then you'll lose far more time than the weight penalty that an extra layer will cost you. I think a 35 degree sleeping bag will be plenty. But, if you're cold prone... Maybe think about a 25-30 degree bag. Better safe than DNF.

Also, think about maybe going with a synthetic bag. They don't wet out like down and can be an extra confidence boost if the weather turns sour.

Distasters:
They are just going to hit you. I rode in the middle front chain ring with a broken front shifter for two days before I hit Butte for repairs. It sucked... A LOT.

You can actually train for stuff like this (within reason). I read that Aidan Harding does training rides where he purposefully leaves with little food and water in order to work on his mental training. (What a bad@$$!!!!).

Keep your chin up!!!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #418 on: January 13, 2013, 10:29:02 AM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »

Hey Chris. Come see me in DC again!  I've got great training rides to show you.

I'd love to ride this year, but can't for family reasons. I'm hoping for 2014, though.

- printed narrative/resupply on waterproof paper
- AT&T iPhone 4 with Lifeproof case and the SIM lock feature enabled
- 2012 GPX file from Scott
- MotionX GPS iPhone app with predownloaded detailed topographic and road maps
- backup of the printed narrative on the iPhone as Goodreader documents
- wall charger (the small adapter with the short cable)
- AA battery charger (that uses the wall charger cable)
- AA battery flashlight that fits my helmet

The only change from 2012 would be using waterproof paper.

The narrative is primary.  The GPS is for double checking and backup.

My biggest issue in 2012 was lack of big picture situational awareness. This summer and fall I finished the route study and rewriting the narrative that I should have done before 2012. Plus having actually been there for about 2/3 of it helps a bit.

So the iPhone for you was your turn-by-turn navigation + the maps? The iPhone did not require a cell connection to work properly?

I would love to just have the one device instead of buying a Garmin 800. You feel that an iPhone (i have a 5) would do the trick? What about battery life. Any pointers on getting this set up would be awesome.

Thanks!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #419 on: January 13, 2013, 11:55:32 AM
Mike K.

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 13, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »

I used the printed narrative as primary and iPhone 4 MotionX GPS app as backup/double checking.  It does not do turn by turn with the arrows and all that. if you run your gps continually and/or want turn by turn, your best option is a AA battery dedicated gps device.

Cell signal is not required to receive gps signal on the model I have.  In fact a friend helped me lock out the SIM (cell, data, SMS) so only satellite signal was searched and received and power was not wasted searching for non existent cell service (AT&T/Apple support the sim lock feature if you search).

I used the gps to check that the blue dot was on the red line.  It ran on background without the screen on most of the time.  I would leave the screen on for long descents or areas with lots of turns. Otherwise I'd periodically turn it on just to double check I was where I thought it was.

Battery was ok but not great, depending on how much I used it. I recharged from AA batteries as needed. Usually once per day while on the go. I would also do a full charge if I stopped in a town.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: