Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #380 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:26 PM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

El Paso International airport is 169 miles from AW. You can stop part way at Columbus where there is a motel. Columbus is an interesting town: the only place in the continental US where they were invaded by anyone but the Brits/Canadians (Poncho Villa).

Thanks, ill check that out. Ive just weighted version 1 of my kit which comes to 11.02lb or 5kg, this is everything excluding what ill be wearing, jersey shorts, base layer etc. Is this classed as light weight or just light.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #381 on: January 05, 2013, 02:18:32 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 05, 2013, 02:18:32 AM »

Have to agree with Cjell re tethering.  I didn't tether mine and lost my gps 80 miles into TD11.  Spent ages looking for it (it was a black/grey model) and never found it. I also had ACA cues and maps and managed fine with those for the rest of the trip. New model is always tethered.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #382 on: January 05, 2013, 07:17:42 AM
Prometheus

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 05, 2013, 07:17:42 AM »

Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the great information on this forum.  I will be doing the Tour Divide this year (2013) on the GD date.  Most likely southbound, but also considering Northbound to take advantage of possible better weather.  I have been riding/racing for about 20 years, but never any serious endurance stuff like this.  I am really excited about the race.  I just haven't figured out what bike to use yet.  Thinking rigid niner or possibly a cross bike.  Has anyone ever raced this on a cross bike?  I am a little worried it would be too "fragile" to hold up.  I'm in the process of selling off most of my other bikes to fund this, so have some options on a new bike.  I'm looking forward to meeting the other racers where ever I end up starting.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #383 on: January 05, 2013, 09:45:11 AM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 05, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

Do most riders use the Adventure Cycling maps?  Is there a new set of maps for 2013 plus it's addenda, if so when does it come out during the year or should a rider go ahead and buy them now?  I have noticed gps tracks on sites
I inquired at ACA a couple of months ago as to whether new maps will come out before June '13 for the Great Divide Route.  They replied that there won't be new maps before June;  the current maps plus addenda will be what to use. 

I ordered mine and got maps plus addenda to date.  I'll check the ACA website for latest addenda again before June start data.

As an aside, I've been thinking of ordering the text narrative and now wonder if they're updated for addenda or not.  Will have to contact ACA to find out.  Dont' know what value they would be but an willing to risk $5 or so to look at them.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #384 on: January 05, 2013, 12:13:24 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: January 05, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »

Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the great information on this forum.  I will be doing the Tour Divide this year (2013) on the GD date.  Most likely southbound, but also considering Northbound to take advantage of possible better weather.  I have been riding/racing for about 20 years, but never any serious endurance stuff like this.  I am really excited about the race.  I just haven't figured out what bike to use yet.  Thinking rigid niner or possibly a cross bike.  Has anyone ever raced this on a cross bike?  I am a little worried it would be too "fragile" to hold up.  I'm in the process of selling off most of my other bikes to fund this, so have some options on a new bike.  I'm looking forward to meeting the other racers where ever I end up starting.

Welcome! I believe Deanna Adams did it on a cross-fixie.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #385 on: January 05, 2013, 01:24:29 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 05, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »

Welcome Prometheus! Your post reminds me of the same journey I have been on. First year this year to do the TD. Sold some bikes to finance the expenses. Looked hard at trying to ride a cross bike. But it was not about being too fragile as much as only accommodating too narrow of a tire. The more I read the more convinced I became that a cross bike–as awesome as it would have been for speed– was just not going to provide the versatility for wider tires for the mud and just general girth for some comfort.

So like you, I turned to a Niner. Fully rigid with a 1 x 11 drivetrain (SRAMs new one). If there had been a great road lever to run the the 11 speeds in back I would have gone drop bars. But there is not - yet. So I am doing a nice flat bar with the single twist shift for the rear. When they launch an 11spd SRAM road shifter that is also for hydraulic brakes, then I will convert it to a drop bar set up for 2014.

My Niner allows for a Salsa Fargo Frame bag (sm) and a waterbottle under the downtube. So I will be using the pocket system from Revelate for extra water. Trying to NOT use a camelback. We'll see how much more water I can fit inside the frame bag with the other needs. If I have to use the camelback, then so be it.

Good luck in your prep.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #386 on: January 05, 2013, 05:34:55 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: January 05, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »

Thanks, ill check that out. Ive just weighted version 1 of my kit which comes to 11.02lb or 5kg, this is everything excluding what ill be wearing, jersey shorts, base layer etc. Is this classed as light weight or just light.

That's a pretty good weight for a kit.It's hard to tell without weighing everything though (I mean including your clothing altogether). Weights can be pretty deceiving without including things like base layers, gloves, etc. I think everything that I brought, including every piece of clothing, bike, bags, and my helmet weighed 34 pounds.

I would say that anything near 35 pounds is pretty light weight. Just be SURE to test your gear a lot. I froze my @$$ off a few nights and I have since rethought some choices. (Wyoming was deceptively cold at night.) My new kit weighs about half a pound more but has more layers and more insulation for sleeping.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #387 on: January 06, 2013, 06:23:38 AM
ETURK

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 06, 2013, 06:23:38 AM »

Anyone come across any odd shaped bladder/water bags out their? I want a "corner" shape. I am finding it hard to fit 3 ounce standard bladder in my Salsa frame bag (medium) it sort of takes up both compartments. So I am considering cutting holes in the frame bag to keep the bottle cages instead and still be able to load stuff around it, or find some odd shaped bladders?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #388 on: January 06, 2013, 06:37:06 AM
ETURK

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 06, 2013, 06:37:06 AM »

An example of what I am looking for: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~sandiway/bike/bikebag/index.html

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #389 on: January 06, 2013, 06:53:08 AM
ryansigsbey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: January 06, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »

Anyone come across any odd shaped bladder/water bags out their? I want a "corner" shape. I am finding it hard to fit 3 ounce standard bladder in my Salsa frame bag (medium) it sort of takes up both compartments. So I am considering cutting holes in the frame bag to keep the bottle cages instead and still be able to load stuff around it, or find some odd shaped bladders?

I have this pack http://shop.camelbak.com/2012-charge-lr/d/1091_cl_714 but I can't find a picture of the bladder.  It sits in the lower part of this pack, only 2 liters but its triangular shaped.  If you watch the video on the website, you can see what it looks like. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #390 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:21 AM
ETURK

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »

Thanks ryansigsbey, looks possible except looks like if its sloped on the downtube I might not be able to get that water "up" (water tube location isn't in the corner), but possible.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #391 on: January 06, 2013, 04:55:09 PM
Thumby

Tell me, where is this mythical convenience store?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: January 06, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »

Northbound route question:  North of Butte, the SB route is on the shoulder of the interstate.  How does this work out if you are NB?  From my southbound experience I can't recall a provision for a northbounder to cross the interstate atop the pass. (I'm not in this year, just wondering as I imagine a NB attempt)

Tour Divide 2011 GD

I live on a big round ball, I never do dream I may fall.
And even if one day I do, I'll jump off and smile back at you.  -Jesse Winchester

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #392 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:33 AM
JDP

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:33 AM »

Got a happy new year's card in the mail a couple days ago from Holland Lake Lodge. I imagine they send them to all of the past year's patrons. Christian at the lodge was very nice when Ollie and I stayed there. We arrived at around 10:30 for our third night, it was kind of funny because we just about caught an ITT racer on the service road to the lodge. We got close enough to see a bike in the distance, wondering if one of our chasers some how got ahead of us. We arrived and realized that it wasn't someone from the GD, I'm sorry I've forgot the racer's name. Cristian, who runs the lodge is awesome. He of course knows about the race but wasn't expecting riders just yet. His kitchen staff wouldn't arrive until the next day but he was very accommodating, making something for each of us himself. He let us know breakfast would be at 7 but Ollie and I wanted to get going a little earlier. He asked what we would need, mostly oatmeal, and sandwich stuff, told us he would set it out and gave us the run run of the kitchen. When we got up in the morning, oatmeal and coffee were set out, as well as the sandwich stuff, fruit and yogurt in the fridge. Holland Lake Lodge is one of those awesome spots along the route, Christian is one the fantastic hosts that make the ride so fulfilling. If your timing works out make sure to stop by.

Had the same experience with Holland Lake Lodge.  After a cold, muddy, rainy, hell like couple days, this place was like an oasis.  Some video of it on my youtube channel jdpaulstourdivide. Not the cheapest but Christian was incredible!  Had some PB and J sandwhiches ready for me in the morning to take for lunch.  Fantastic meal the night I arrived too.  He did my laundry and offered a place to wash the bike up. It was amazing and almost to nice! Wanted to stay. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #393 on: January 07, 2013, 12:36:30 PM
PHaile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: January 07, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »

Hello all,

My name is Peter Haile. I live in SE Kentucky.

I will be rolling out of Banff on June 14th 2013 for a bike ride headed south.

I saw a spreadsheet at one point with letters of intent and contact information; now it seems difficult to find. Any help in locating the spreadsheet would be appreciated.

http://unioncollegecycling.blogspot.com/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #394 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:23 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »

Hello all,

My name is Peter Haile. I live in SE Kentucky.

I will be rolling out of Banff on June 14th 2013 for a bike ride headed south.

I saw a spreadsheet at one point with letters of intent and contact information; now it seems difficult to find. Any help in locating the spreadsheet would be appreciated.

http://unioncollegecycling.blogspot.com/

Here is the start list: up to 50... and some who have said they are riding the GD haven't listed yet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnV6xT65HkPRdFRTWGUyNTRnWGNrNkZsbVVPNTViNkE

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #395 on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:17 PM
PHaile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

Thank you so much.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #396 on: January 07, 2013, 09:23:18 PM
Striker

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 07, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »

Hello fellow Adeventure seekers!  It's time I speak up an introduce myself to this thread.  Lurking just does not cut it anymore.

First off I want to say thanks to those that came before us in conquering and inspiring others to try this great adventure.  I have most certainly gained some useful insight from the veterans and have put it to good use in my preparation as I have read past threads and posts.

Coming from Iowa this will most certainly be a challenge but one I am up for.  This has become more real as I add my name to the list and as I get ready to send off the official email to count me in.

Looking forwad to meeting several of you the week prior to the Grand Depart.

Keep the topics flowing.

I'll add some fuel - one to think about - I know there are several bike shops along the way.  I get the impression some are bigger than others and others are small shops.  What I am most curious about is the ability to get your bike serviced at each.  I would not expect all shops along the way to have a lot of exotic components sitting on the shelf.  For example a SRAM 11 sp cassette.  Not that I will be running any of that.  Just one thing I think of as I build up the bike.  My plan is to go with tried and true components, ones that I would think every shop would have one of.  Perhaps this is my OCD kicking in and one thing I should not fret over.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #397 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:29 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:29 AM »

I'll add some fuel - one to think about - I know there are several bike shops along the way.  I get the impression some are bigger than others and others are small shops.  What I am most curious about is the ability to get your bike serviced at each.  I would not expect all shops along the way to have a lot of exotic components sitting on the shelf.  For example a SRAM 11 sp cassette.  Not that I will be running any of that.  Just one thing I think of as I build up the bike.  My plan is to go with tried and true components, ones that I would think every shop would have one of.  Perhaps this is my OCD kicking in and one thing I should not fret over.

There are three brilliant bike shops along the way: The Outdoorsman in Butte, Orange Peel in Steamboat, and Absolute in Salida. If you can get to them you will probably be OK with whatever problem you may have, although pays to have their numbers in your phone so you can call ahead for anything special. The other shops are more for emergency bits and pieces. It's amazing what you can fix when you have to. Unless you are driving a carbon belt Roloff. Mike #2 last year had an S&S coupled bike with very unique cable attachments which had even the Outdoorsman scratching their head!

I think one of Matt's past comments is important: make sure everything is new - especially brake pads - before you start. Add to that chain, hub, cassette, etc. You don't want a worn component doing you in out in the middle of nowhere.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #398 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:58 AM
cjellmoney

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »

Northbound route question:  North of Butte, the SB route is on the shoulder of the interstate.  How does this work out if you are NB?  From my southbound experience I can't recall a provision for a northbounder to cross the interstate atop the pass. (I'm not in this year, just wondering as I imagine a NB attempt)

North of Butte is no biggie. The only time your the track on the GPS will fail you is leaving town. If my memory serves me correctly the route calls for the SB rider to take a simple interchange from I15 to I90 (as they arrive), where the NB rider has a interchange that lies a far ways off that of the SB rider's. Pull of google maps and have a look at the 90 to 15 interchange and you'll easily see what i'm talking about. North of there you're just on the other side of the road.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:21:23 PM by cjellmoney » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #399 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:58 PM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »

An example of what I am looking for: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~sandiway/bike/bikebag/index.html
Posted on: January 06, 2013, 05:23:38 AM
Posted by: ETURK

I've been thinking along the same lines. Use a large, ideally square bladder, fold and tape it to fit your frame. Considering the dark side, using a bladder.
  Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: