View Profile
« Reply #600 on: April 03, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »

Hahaha

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #601 on: April 03, 2014, 11:16:01 AM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 03, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »

re-routes and conditions.

200 years ago, people made their way across these same mountains with...

- no cell phones
- no internet
- no rescue
- no convenient stores
- no goretex
- no radio
- no weather information
- no international online tracking and following
- no mail
- no anything

i believe we will all be just fine as long as we make intelligent and logical decisions based solely on the conditions we are facing at the time we are required to make the decision.

worry about quitting when it's time to worry about it.

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #602 on: April 04, 2014, 08:39:49 AM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: April 04, 2014, 08:39:49 AM »

Wow... Buzzkill...

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #603 on: April 04, 2014, 10:14:17 AM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 04, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »

Wow... Buzzkill...

sorry dude, just offering some reality.

there is no safer time than now to attempt anything like this, and i would hate for someone to second guess their ride because of speculation.

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #604 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:12 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »

sorry dude, just offering some reality.

there is no safer time than now to attempt anything like this, and i would hate for someone to second guess their ride because of speculation.

I agree; I didn't see it as buzzkill.  When I hit Flathead Pass in 2012 there was 5 miles of snow to hike through.  I didn't have GPS, Gore-Tex socks, carbon bars, Dyno hub, tubeless tires, or any of the other stuff that people obsess over, but I had feet and they worked fine to get me through.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #605 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:03 AM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »

Agreed. I get it. It was just kinda a conversation ender... but maybe it was overdue. The forum is useful for venting and sharing concerns and I don't think any one concern is more or less valid than another. And I can see how the 2012 guys might not want to redo the effort if it's going to be another detoured route for them yet again. But, "take what the Divide gives you" is my motto for the ride, so there it is.

Seems the forum needs something engaging to discuss, so I'll share my concerns at the moment: What is everyone's training regiment looking like these days? I'm putting in about 150-200 miles a week, mostly road and hardpack miles on the loaded Divide bike. Just hit some proper mountain bike trails and was surprised at how much it winded me. Thinking I need to add some intervals and intensity to my workouts in addition to long rides.

How much rest time is everyone allowing? I'm conflicted over when I should be resting after a hard day's ride and when i should be hitting it hard again. Thoughts?

I'm considering riding a 168 mile Gravel Grinder race tomorrow and concerned that this may be overdoing it too early on...

-Andrew

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #606 on: April 04, 2014, 11:04:59 AM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 04, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »

no worries, thanks.  good on you for pushing.

training?  i'm averaging 130miles a week with roughly 12k - 14k of up with about 1/3 of dirt.  i've ridden enough loaded to know what's up, so unless i'm using it, gear stays home.  i've also been doing 8-10 mile hikes with a lot of up carrying a backpack full of food and beer and water.  seems achilles and knee issues from pushing instead of pedaling have been the end, or almost end for many people.  i rest when i'm tired.

did a 130m gravel/dirt/mostly mud ride on my cross bike set up fixed with less than 300ft of elevation gain.  it was a 10hour sit and spin.  it really showed me what 10 hours of flat/headwind is going to feel like.

if you have the opportunity to roll a 160+, i'd sure do it, and maybe camp out the night before at the start line.

doing to AZT next week for a final shakedown on gearing and equipment which will likely have me second guessing everything yet again...

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #607 on: April 04, 2014, 11:15:57 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: April 04, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »

I'm considering riding a 168 mile Gravel Grinder race tomorrow and concerned that this may be overdoing it too early on...

Anti Epic, then? Awesome! Should be fun, with all the snow that just fell Wink I'm signed up, but I have to take myself out, getting through a weird spell of dizziness in the past few days. I find the Anti Epic is perfect practice for some of the most boring parts of the Tour Divide Wink

Another great race in May(?) is the Dirty Double Fondo in Salida, which takes the same route of the GDMBR from Salida to Hartsel, and then takes you back another more interesting way to the foot of the Indian Hills, and then back into Salida. Great chance to recon South Park, and get a feel for Salida. Rode that one last year - another racer was using it as a tune up/shakedown for the CTR.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #608 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:05 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »

Yeah Anti Epic. Was 155 miles, and then changed to 168 last minute. (As if 155 wasn't enough!) I just know those last 18 miles (probably more) are going to be a sufferfest. A little concerned about the condition of the roads too. I'll start and see how it goes. May determine to do a shorter route if it's going to be a slopshow. An early bedtime for me tonight!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #609 on: April 04, 2014, 12:52:18 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: April 04, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »

How much rest time is everyone allowing? I'm conflicted over when I should be resting after a hard day's ride and when i should be hitting it hard again. Thoughts?
-Andrew
Eat, sleep, ride, Great Divide

I feel recovery time/methods are a key component of one’s overall race strategy.  
Here is some of my thinking on the matter……….

Depending on individual TDR goals (which might range from ‘smell the flowers as much a possible’ to the polar opposite of ‘head down all day, every day’) one will choose different recovery approaches.  I suspect most of the field falls somewhere near wanting to achieve a finish time close to or better than their pre-race expectations, but not at the total expense of enjoying their overall experience.  

So what kind of recovery is needed to achieve this?

While daydreaming about TDR finish times and hours to be spent to achieve miles per day-- it’s easy to ride tough for 18 to 20 hrs per day on small amounts of food and water and almost zero rest breaks.  All the while camping every night in a 6 oz bivy with just a down vest for warmth…………

However during the actual race reality soon sets in.  And every racer, regardless of pre-race contemplations will rise or drop to a pace consummate with their personal level of fitness, physical ability and mental desire.  The gear we have chosen to bring and type recover we use will, over time, have dramatic impacts on our physical ability and mental desire to maintain a high/maximum personal pace.

A TDR pace is unlike any other multi-day race I have done.  The AZT300 & 750, CTR and Stagecoach all have single track and technical sections.  In those races the terrain itself dominates my pathetic attempts at maintaining a personal/maximum pace. However, in the TDR (with very few technical terrain section exceptions) I can dictate my pace from day 1 to the finish.  But the only way to ‘maximize’ pace for the entire duration is to combine workable recovery with appropriate gear.  

(Obviously it should be self-evident to everyone reading this that optimal recovery and gear choices will NOT be the same for each racer)

For me I can now usually fall into a sustainable TDR level pace at will.  And within that TDR pace/zen I can simply listen to my body and ‘tell’ when to push, when to eat and when to stop. But recovery goes beyond the hour by hour pacing, ie: the real trick is to know how to recover ‘today/tonight’ to sustain the pace you need for tomorrow and so on each day, thru the race.

Sorry to be a forum hog--any one else care to elaborate on their perspectives??

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #610 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:16 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »

In lieu of the upcoming Gravel Grinder ride in Denver, I rode a portion of the route a few weeks a go and wrote up the endeavor on my blog. (Seems a blog is part and parcel with a Divide preparations these days.) If anyone is interested, let me know what you think!

http://singletrackstories.com/2014/03/27/dirt-century-divide-shakedown/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #611 on: April 04, 2014, 02:14:51 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 04, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

In lieu of the upcoming Gravel Grinder ride in Denver, I rode a portion of the route a few weeks a go and wrote up the endeavor on my blog. (Seems a blog is part and parcel with a Divide preparations these days.) If anyone is interested, let me know what you think!

http://singletrackstories.com/2014/03/27/dirt-century-divide-shakedown/

Excellent.  Especially the mental training.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #612 on: April 06, 2014, 08:32:57 AM
ABfolder

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 06, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »

Quote from: BobM on January 06, 2014, 10:44:07 AM
Hey Marshal,
You had a great recap/tips section at the end of your old blog.  Will you be re-printing it on your new blog?  You had some really great advice as I recall.

Marshal's reply: I will see if I can dig it up but suspect not......

Hey Marshal! I've encountered a few blogs with your old TD 2010 summary mentioned/linked. Did it die a natural death? Forest Baker had it linked as did a couple of others and I'm sure a good number of GDMBR folks -- racers and tourers alike -- are curious as to its content (not that your recent posts aren't equally informative).
Cheers!
Another 58 year old.  headbang

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #613 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:37 AM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »

Well, three flats, a busted pump, a 5 mile hike-a bike through a snow/mud bog, an absolutely frigid night ride, and 155 miles and 16 hours later, I pulled the plug at 10 pm on the Colorado Springs Anti-Epic Gravel Grinder and hitched a ride the remaining 13 miles back to the car. So bummed to not finish, but the forces seemed to be against me on this one. Still, a valiant effort if I do say so myself. Out of almost 50 riders, apparently only 4 actually completed the specified route, so I can't get too down on myself. A Tour Divide shakedown it certainly was! Now I just have to figure out how to do it 20 days in a row... Ughhh.... Met a few Tour Divide riders (and past attempters) as well. Great ride! I'll have the full story up on my blog in a few days. -Andrew

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #614 on: April 06, 2014, 11:33:19 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: April 06, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »

Nice work, Andrew, jealous from over here - sounds like a hoot! Hope you find the time to write about this ride, too!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #615 on: April 06, 2014, 05:10:53 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 06, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »

Definitely something to be proud of Andrew, great job.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #616 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:10 PM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »

yeah dude.  Awesome!

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #617 on: April 06, 2014, 11:15:13 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: April 06, 2014, 11:15:13 PM »

Quote from: BobM on January 06, 2014, 10:44:07 AM
Hey Marshal,
You had a great recap/tips section at the end of your old blog.  Will you be re-printing it on your new blog?  You had some really great advice as I recall.

Marshal's reply: I will see if I can dig it up but suspect not......

Hey Marshal! I've encountered a few blogs with your old TD 2010 summary mentioned/linked. Did it die a natural death? Forest Baker had it linked as did a couple of others and I'm sure a good number of GDMBR folks -- racers and tourers alike -- are curious as to its content (not that your recent posts aren't equally informative).
Cheers!
Another 58 year old.  headbang
sorry --looked but its gone--planned at one time to revamp the blog but lost it while dinking around........

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #618 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:54 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »

Here is a big question, but maybe a "dumb" one.  

I've found several lists of resupply towns, distances between, places with bike shops, groceries,  etc. etc.  That has been useful and I'm thankful for those who have posted that info, it's helpful.  

I'm just surprised that there isn't a "wiki" or some kind of shared page where "everyone" could provide input and add their info.  Of course it would be subjective, but it would be a great resource.  Something like,  

Whitefish MT
All services.
11 miles to next town  (Columbia Falls)
Bike Shop, Glacier Cyclery
Great grocery store along .......  (2013)
Great pizza at....   (2012)

Etc. etc.

Reading through the current volume of the Cordillera,  there were numerous times that people said they were looking for a particular store, campground, etc.  that was no longer operational.  

I think having a common place for present and past racers to pool their info would be pretty amazing.
Not trying to take away from the "work" that I know I need to personally do to have a good overview of the route and plan accordingly,  but reading about some town on the internet is not near as helpful as a report from a recent racer saying they ate "the best pizza ever" at "....." in 2013.

Sorry if this is really a dumb question,   just trying to prepare as a rookie and wondering how others are tackling the "resupply" and "repair" issue

Tom
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:05:19 AM by tuhduhvuh » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #619 on: April 07, 2014, 10:28:18 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: April 07, 2014, 10:28:18 AM »

Here is a big question, but maybe a "dumb" one. 
I'm just surprised that there isn't a "wiki" or some kind of shared page where "everyone" could provide input and add their info.  Of course it would be subjective, but it would be a great resource. 
Sorry if this is really a dumb question,   just trying to prepare as a rookie and wondering how others are tackling the "resupply" and "repair" issue
Tom

It’s a very good question—and please do not take my reply the wrong way but---

I am sure sooner or later someone will make one.  And if someone creates and maintains such a wiki page I would most likely use it. 

But I would see it as sort of dumbing down some of the fun and important prep a notch.

Between the ACA maps, race GPS track, Google earth/maps and all the blogs, forums and old fashion business phone numbers one can happily fiddle away some long winter hours ‘prepping’ for a TDR attempt. 

I feel that in-depth route prep is ‘one’ of the things that separate the serious racers from the less prepared.  To truly ‘race’ vs just participate in the TDR is all about checking off the preparation boxes of Physical, Mental, Gear and ‘Route Knowledge’

Anyway to simply download a ‘copy’ of all the key route info to one’s smartphone, while convenient somewhat bypasses a key component to preparing.

But like I said--sooner or later someone will come up with a global re-supply page--and I would use it, just like I use GPS or any other accepted means to have a faster race.......

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: