Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #340 on: January 26, 2014, 12:45:47 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »

If you only want light, check out this Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamodirk/magnic-light-ic-intelligent-contactless-bicycle-dy

I've got mine on order :-)

Looks like it would make a slick tail light.  -dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #341 on: January 26, 2014, 03:25:17 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »

If you only want light, check out this Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamodirk/magnic-light-ic-intelligent-contactless-bicycle-dy

I've got mine on order :-)

Very cool idea.
Please post a review on it or drop me an email and let me know how it works out.

Woody

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #342 on: January 26, 2014, 06:57:34 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »

SWEET! Come on Marshal you know you want to be part of the Grand Depart with your fellow AZT'er! No brainer. We have to pace each other.

Well, I am leaning towards a SB grand depart--hard to pass up on all the stoke.

Ha, now if I could talk all the over 50 racers into a separate NB grand depart that would be real stoke!!!!!!!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #343 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:31 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:31 PM »

Thanks or the note Christopher - checking out other lighting options, updating the shopping list.  For the PedalPower piece, are you referring to the Super iCable (or the SIC as they refer to it?) which contains a decent cache battery, or one of the Universal Cables?  -dp

OK. Just finished a non-scientific test of the Super iCable.

I rode 100 km in 3:50. Started with an almost flat Garmin 800, two flat AA batteries (1.25 v), and my cell phone at 25%. The Super iCable was at about 60% battery charge. The dynamo was an SP-7.

Running all three with the iCable off - i.e. the dynamo was being passed through - the Garmin 800 was fully charged by the end of the ride. The batteries at 1.37 volts, and my cell phone had dropped to 18% (it was playing music at full volume for the ride and so some was going to the phone or it would have been flatter). The iCable battery was up to 80%.  

Clearly the load is too great with all three connected and just the dynamo running. I'll do a test later with the iCable battery on, but I suspect that it would recharge everything. The key would then be how long it would take to recharge the iCable battery.

Anyway, at least it seems you can recharge both the iCable and Garmin 800 at the same time, and these are the two essential items.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #344 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:01 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »

Wow!
The Magnic-light is pretty darned cool looking.  Thanks for posting that and let us know how it works for you.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #345 on: January 27, 2014, 11:19:07 AM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »

Wow!
The Magnic-light is pretty darned cool looking.  Thanks for posting that and let us know how it works for you.

Just be aware it doesn't work with carbon wheels. I would've bought a set if it did.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #346 on: January 27, 2014, 04:17:20 PM
ezr4d

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »

james-o  - what problems did you run into with the Exposure Spark? I am looking into lighting options and that looks like a nice unit, on paper at least.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #347 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:12 PM
Canbaroo

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »

Who stole Mike Hall off the 2014 start list? nono
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:09:20 PM by Canbaroo » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #348 on: January 27, 2014, 10:55:56 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »

Just be aware it doesn't work with carbon wheels. I would've bought a set if it did.

Reelights work in sort of similar way - they come with magnets that attach to your wheel. See if the weight of those magnets makes it worth it.

I'm a little curious on what sort of light you get from those reelights, though. When borrowing a bike with a hub-powered light, after always having just a head torch, it truly was a... uh, night and day difference. I like the idea of the reelights for road rides/touring, though, as it's nice to always, always, always have a working back blinky, and some sort of working front light. Having the light mounted so low seems to be a big plus. Being seen, rather than having the light being use to see, in other words.

Now that I have a 750 lumen light for my MTB, it would be crazy to go back to anything lower. The batteries for the darn thing would not be a good call for something like the TD, though - just not something available en route.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #349 on: January 28, 2014, 02:16:05 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2014, 02:16:05 AM »

james-o  - what problems did you run into with the Exposure Spark? I am looking into lighting options and that looks like a nice unit, on paper at least.

It's certainly a good unit for output-weight-battery life but it cut out randomly due to the battery breaking contact. Slack in the casing/battery spring I think. It was ok on 2 or 3 local weekend trips on similar terrain but a few days on the TD beat it up. I fixed it with a bit of metal to reduce the space for the spring. Not heard of other similar issues from others so maybe just the one I had. The other thing to add is use some cable ties to fix both light and clamp part to the bars rather than the elastic strap supplied. To be fair it's not really meant as a cross-USA off road light on the front of a rigid bike.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #350 on: January 28, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
tuckpana

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »

OK. Just finished a non-scientific test of the Super iCable.

I rode 100 km in 3:50. Started with an almost flat Garmin 800, two flat AA batteries (1.25 v), and my cell phone at 25%. The Super iCable was at about 60% battery charge. The dynamo was an SP-7.

Running all three with the iCable off - i.e. the dynamo was being passed through - the Garmin 800 was fully charged by the end of the ride. The batteries at 1.37 volts, and my cell phone had dropped to 18% (it was playing music at full volume for the ride and so some was going to the phone or it would have been flatter). The iCable battery was up to 80%. 

Clearly the load is too great with all three connected and just the dynamo running. I'll do a test later with the iCable battery on, but I suspect that it would recharge everything. The key would then be how long it would take to recharge the iCable battery.

Anyway, at least it seems you can recharge both the iCable and Garmin 800 at the same time, and these are the two essential items.

Chris,

Thanks for the test on the (SIC).

Gary Tucker

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #351 on: January 28, 2014, 11:43:00 AM
mikejolly

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »

Chris, I am running an SP dynamo also, how do you feel about the electrical connector on the hub. Mine is ok but looks wimpy and possible failure point.

* image.jpg (613.06 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 457 times.)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #352 on: January 28, 2014, 03:43:49 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: January 28, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »

Chris, I am running an SP dynamo also, how do you feel about the electrical connector on the hub. Mine is ok but looks wimpy and possible failure point.

It's pretty similar to the one on my SON, and it survived the 2013 TDR (as did many other's). Ollie Whalley has been running an SP on some tough bikepacking races in Oz and speaks highly of them so I wouldn't be worried.  I would rotate it a bit more vertical so better protected by the fork.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #353 on: January 28, 2014, 05:16:16 PM
Enzo149

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 28, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »

I have had good luck applying hot glue to the back of pig tail or post electrical connections for added support, insulation and sealing. Although my disclaimer is that I have not done this yet to my setup although I plan to.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #354 on: January 30, 2014, 05:04:15 AM
Badass Buddha

Om Shanti Om

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2014, 05:04:15 AM »

HI friends,

I thought you might find my latest blog post about my training/goals for the TD interesting, especially those of you who are trying to figure out your mileage/hours goals per day.

www.adventuresofbadassbuddha.wordpress.com

Thanks, and good luck with your training.

BB

Riding mountain bikes, running trails, swimming in the open water, and sleeping in the dirt

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #355 on: January 30, 2014, 06:06:03 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2014, 06:06:03 AM »

I'm sure some will think I'm being dickish, but it appears that about a third of the comments so far have been about dynamo systems and lights.  There is a thread for dynamos under the "Question and Answer" portion of the forum.  Since the "what tire is best" Q will be beaten like a dead horse and take up another third of this thread and the thread will eventually approach 100+ pages, please take all dynamo and lighting questions to the Q&A portion of the forum. 

Let's try to keep this thread to Q's specific about the Divide Route and more Divide stoke/links to experiences/etc.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #356 on: January 30, 2014, 02:42:19 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »

I'm sure some will think I'm being dickish, but it appears that about a third of the comments so far have been about dynamo systems and lights.  There is a thread for dynamos under the "Question and Answer" portion of the forum.  Since the "what tire is best" Q will be beaten like a dead horse and take up another third of this thread and the thread will eventually approach 100+ pages, please take all dynamo and lighting questions to the Q&A portion of the forum. 

Let's try to keep this thread to Q's specific about the Divide Route and more Divide stoke/links to experiences/etc.

Nope, not dickish at all.  Last year's thread had a lot of good information in it, but a lot was hidden by what you mentioned. 

What is the best light to use?  The same kind you used during all your training rides.
What's the best tire to use?  The same kind you used during all your training rides.
What's the best hub to use?  The same kind you used during all your training rides.
What kind of tubeless is best to use?  The same kind you used during all your training rides.

Don't worry about your gear selection so much.  I spent WAY WAY to much time on this last year, and honestly it's probably a big reason why I DIDN'T finish.  Worry about getting miles in.  Worry about getting miles in day after day.  Worry about climbing.  There's seriously 30+ mile climbs.  Worry about learning the route - resupply locations, mileage between towns, services, etc.  This is make or break stuff.  You can get almost anything you need in Banff (HUGE outdoors town), and also early on in the race in Whitefish, Helena, and Butte.  Prepare yourself mentally.  I heard from a lot of people, myself included, the phrase "bit off more than I could chew."  It's a monster of a route, mentally and physically.  It's definitely a trip of a lifetime.

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #357 on: January 30, 2014, 05:09:36 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »

Montana route/re-supply question:

Whitefish/Columbia Falls are obviously good re-supply spots. But 30 miles later is a big section with not much until Seeley Lake. I did notice a cafe and gas station as you cross Hwy 83, but Ferndale didn't appear to have anything.  Did people go off-route to Bigfork for any supplies?

Not racing this year, but grew up in that area and will tour that section this fall.  Border to Seeley Lake and backtrack to Columbia Falls.  Slower tour so I'm looking for more supplies than a standard racer.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #358 on: January 30, 2014, 05:12:36 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »

Montana route/re-supply question:

Whitefish/Columbia Falls are obviously good re-supply spots. But 30 miles later is a big section with not much until Seeley Lake. I did notice a cafe and gas station as you cross Hwy 83, but Ferndale didn't appear to have anything.  Did people go off-route to Bigfork for any supplies?

Not racing this year, but grew up in that area and will tour that section this fall.  Border to Seeley Lake and backtrack to Columbia Falls.  Slower tour so I'm looking for more supplies than a standard racer.

Check out Google Maps satellite view - there is a gas station/convenience store in Ferndale 1 mile off route to the East (instead of turning right at St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, continue straight.)

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #359 on: January 30, 2014, 05:14:48 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »

Check out Google Maps satellite view - there is a gas station/convenience store in Ferndale 1 mile off route to the East (instead of turning right at St. Patrick's Episcopal Church, continue straight.)
Thanks! I knew I had driven past something in that area just last summer. I had thought it was at the same intersection as the church.
  Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: