Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #420 on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:07 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:07 AM »

I'm driving up from Denver as well.  Might be leaving a week or more early though.  Would love to share gas costs if the timeline works.

-Les

I'm already booked into the Y-Lodge a couple days early, was planning on exploring Banff a bit before riding south, I can probably leave for Banff as early as is needed. I'll get hold of you via PM once we get a bit closer to the big day.

-John

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #421 on: February 12, 2014, 09:44:44 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 12, 2014, 09:44:44 AM »

Here you go for new directions from Helena to Butte.  I think it is reasonable to assume this addenda will appear on the website and be valid for the race. If nothing else we bug ACA until it does appear.

Yo, no need to "bug ACA".  They will have the addenda for download.  They always do.  Thanks for typing out the "new back-door route into Butte" cues for all, but it's still mid-Feb right now and not June 1st.  It will all become clear in the next 4mos prior to depart.  There's also plenty of downhill in this new route, with a little added uphill to get there.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #422 on: February 12, 2014, 06:47:20 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: February 12, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »

I'm driving up from Denver as well.  Might be leaving a week or more early though.  Would love to share gas costs if the timeline works.

-Les

Hey Les, (Jefe, Montana, and/or Slowride),  I'm in Denver too! I just bought my ticket before this carpool ride conversation happened, but I would totally be down to carpool. If you think that's a possibility I may look into canceling my flight. Wanna get together for beers sometime and hash out some details? Anyone in CO for that matter? I am ITCHING to get out and ride, the weather is just now starting to get rideable again! -Andrew

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #423 on: February 12, 2014, 07:33:20 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: February 12, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »

I'm in Gunny, so not going to make it for beers. But I would love to car pool up there somehow. The key is the car, it would be a long shuttle, unless you want to Yo Yo that shit like Billy......so yeah one way rental car/van not sure how hard that would be, or someone to drop us off ?
I am up for ideas and making it work, would be cool way to get there!
Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #424 on: February 12, 2014, 08:11:35 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: February 12, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »

So I'm currently looking into bike lights, and I'm not sure what my options are really, or what I should be looking for. I read Matthew saying he doesn't use more than 50 lumens, but I think I would like to night ride a bit more, so I was shooting more like 100 (if lumens measurements mean anything anyway.) I also want a AAA battery set up to limit the weight and spares I need to bring (AAA will work for my mini headlamp, GPS, SPOT, etc.) So I was thinking something like this?

http://www.princetontec.com/eos-bike (It's pretty light, but will it be powerful enough?)

Or this?  http://princetontec.com/corona-bike (I hate the idea of bringing 8 AA batteries, and then spares too? That sounds pretty ridiculous...)

Other thoughts? What is everyone else thinking of bringing?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #425 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:14 PM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »

Be careful about the Luxos U. They have had a real problem with the lights failing due to water intrusion. Also, they are for road as opposed to trail riding. It really is a very nice package (no bulky box like my K-lite) but not sure that they've sorted out all the problems.  Decided I'd rather not take the risk so went with the Pedalpower (which has a good size cache battery) and the K-lite.

Contacted Peter White Cycles about the Luxos U. This was Linda's response:

"The first generation Luxos U lights did have a water infiltration issue.  The light has been redesigned to eliminate that problem.  We’ve sold hundreds of the redesigned light and no issues have been reported."

So I'm going with this one for the TransAm on my road bike but will also consider it for my next run at the TD. Probably 2016.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #426 on: February 12, 2014, 08:45:39 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: February 12, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »

So I'm currently looking into bike lights, and I'm not sure what my options are really, or what I should be looking for. I read Matthew saying he doesn't use more than 50 lumens, but I think I would like to night ride a bit more, so I was shooting more like 100 (if lumens measurements mean anything anyway.) I also want a AAA battery set up to limit the weight and spares I need to bring (AAA will work for my mini headlamp, GPS, SPOT, etc.) So I was thinking something like this?

http://www.princetontec.com/eos-bike (It's pretty light, but will it be powerful enough?)

Or this?  http://princetontec.com/corona-bike (I hate the idea of bringing 8 AA batteries, and then spares too? That sounds pretty ridiculous...)

Other thoughts? What is everyone else thinking of bringing?

Lots of choices--hunt around on the different forums--but I feel the two lights you mentioned are somewhat dated--you can do much better today in terms of output yet still be light & compact--just my 2 cents

Note: different racers have widely varying lum requirements--I fell twice during my TDR, once in broad daylight at high speed when a sneaky tree branch reached out and snagged my handlebar right out of my hands, and once at night where my +100 lum 'white/led' light was not enough to fully distinguished 1 foot deep ruts in the white dust/dirt FS road---ie: old eyes like mine simply need more lums to be able to safely ride at night. 

Also note from a strategic point of view--if you limit/time/push your night riding to the pave sections you can ride with almost no light........... 

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #427 on: February 12, 2014, 10:53:21 PM
Fresh like uhh

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 12, 2014, 10:53:21 PM »

Hi, all. First time to the TD. I have a logistics question for those who fly in and then ride to Banff. I assume you fly with your bike in a bike box and assemble on site at the airport. Well what do you do with your bike box at that point. Is there a mail box at the airport?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #428 on: February 13, 2014, 10:24:57 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 13, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »

Trying to figure out the issue of getting my bike up to CA. I had already booked my flight out of Yuma, AZ which is a very small airport. I was told today by U.S. Airways that any of the dimensions of the bike box could not exceed 33" and the max total dimensions could not exceed 99". Without measuring any further, my bike is well over 45 " in length from the back of the rear triangle up to the fork... So... I was going to see if perhaps anyone who is making the commute all the way to CA from somewhere in the southwest would take some money for transporting a bike up to Banff and I could still use the plane ticket I paid for, as it is non-refundable. I would then be able to give you gas money for taking it up there, not have to disassemble everything single thing on my bike, and not lose out on a ton of money/miles for my plane ticket. I would be more than willing to meet you wherever you live in the Southwest. Good idea? Bad Idea? Any other suggestions?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #429 on: February 13, 2014, 12:19:31 PM
groundedkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 13, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »

Fresh Like Uhh.......use a cardboard box and find a dumpster.  I took a hard case, arranged a professional bike shipping company to return ship it and it was a nightmare.  Didn't work out and had a crap of a time getting my money back.
Tanman, yes, USAirways Express in Yuma uses CRJ's and the cargo bin doors are very small on that plane.  As an idea....in order to have the bike travel with you...see if you personally can deliver the bike to Phoenix (Sky Harbor) and check the bike in there.  I'm assuming you're connecting in PHX, and the plane they use to Calgary will be able to handle your bike.  Two issues though, USAir is very unaccommodating with thinking outside of the box, and two, I think they still charge about $200 per bike one way, which is a total scam.  Westjet is only about $25 and I've taken bikes to Canada twice with them.
Also look at Fedex and other bike specific shipping companies (Adventure Cycling magazine has a lot advertising in there), but the big issue there is Canadian Customs, many cyclists over the years have had great difficulty getting their bikes back from customs, especially if time is a concern.  Do everything you can to travel with your bike, so that it is personal luggage, and not some taxable asset being freighted into the country.
Also look at flying WestJet from PHX and having a friend drive you up here.  May end up being cost effective.
Sorry I don't know anyone driving from this end.
Good luck!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #430 on: February 13, 2014, 01:28:30 PM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 13, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice! Time to do some research!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #431 on: February 13, 2014, 08:39:25 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 13, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »

Hey there Tanman, I fly to Banff on the 10th. If I can be of any assistance to you, being in Phoenix, please ask.

Steve

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #432 on: February 13, 2014, 10:25:44 PM
Fresh like uhh

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 13, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »

Well, I am leaning towards a SB grand depart--hard to pass up on all the stoke.

Ha, now if I could talk all the over 50 racers into a separate NB grand depart that would be real stoke!!!!!!!

Not to psych anyone out and please correct me if I read it wrong, but Antelope Wells is higher in elevation than Banff. I was under the impression that it was sort of a downhill race.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #433 on: February 14, 2014, 08:32:10 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 14, 2014, 08:32:10 AM »

Thanks Steve! I went down to the Yuma airport yesterday to ask about the bike box. The guy seems to think that it will fit, but he said I should just bring the box in and then he would be able to tell me for sure. So I think I'm just going to get a box from the local shop and bring it down there

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #434 on: February 14, 2014, 11:25:50 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 14, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »

Got a couple gear questions for some of the veterans. Which aero bars have you tried for MTB and which ones seems to work the best/are the most adjustable? As far as chain selection goes, I'm a SRAM guy, I was just curious if most people consider going on the heavier or lighter end? I was wondering if you go with the lighter/hollowpin type chains if they would not be as durable as say the 1031 or 1051 10 speed chains? Any thoughts?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #435 on: February 14, 2014, 04:56:28 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2014, 04:56:28 PM »

Got a couple gear questions for some of the veterans. Which aero bars have you tried for MTB and which ones seems to work the best/are the most adjustable? As far as chain selection goes, I'm a SRAM guy, I was just curious if most people consider going on the heavier or lighter end? I was wondering if you go with the lighter/hollowpin type chains if they would not be as durable as say the 1031 or 1051 10 speed chains? Any thoughts?
profile design sets 'above' and is the most adjustable

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #436 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53:15 PM
ezr4d

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

My input - Profile Aero bars for sure, the rearward adjustability of the elbow pads is essential.
Chains: I personally would not pay a premium for a small weight savings. Last year I started with a KMC X10 and swapped it for a PC1051 in Steamboat. No issues with either.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #437 on: February 14, 2014, 06:26:02 PM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 14, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »

Yah, I have been looking at Profile Design bars, but there are more than 20 different kinds. Kurt had recommended the Stryker bars to me so that is what I was looking at getting. What are the big differences between the carbon and the aluminum sets? Is it just weight or will you notice a different ride quality? Which sets have you guys run? I'm looking for easily mounted and super adjustable

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #438 on: February 14, 2014, 09:41:03 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: February 14, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »

Yah, I have been looking at Profile Design bars, but there are more than 20 different kinds. Kurt had recommended the Stryker bars to me so that is what I was looking at getting. What are the big differences between the carbon and the aluminum sets? Is it just weight or will you notice a different ride quality? Which sets have you guys run? I'm looking for easily mounted and super adjustable
Ha, what would Kurt know Wink (well a lot actually)

The Profile T1-T4 (alum or carbon) versions are much more adjustable and will always sit higher than the Stryker versions.

However at the end of the day it's what fits you best, if you can comfortably stay 'low and aero' the Stryker may be the way to go, but if you need to bring your aero bars up and back (like I do) you will probably find the T1-4 versions bettor accommodate this....

Alum is going to be less $, a bit more robust but heavier than carbon...so you get to pick your compromises, Ha--just like with all gear choices......

I ran alum T2's in 2010 and am using/testing alum T1's right now--either one is good for me
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:46:30 PM by Marshal » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #439 on: February 15, 2014, 12:15:13 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: February 15, 2014, 12:15:13 AM »

My input - Profile Aero bars for sure, the rearward adjustability of the elbow pads is essential.

Agree. I've found the Profile Design T1's to be the best. Lots of adjustability and places to put your gear.

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/aerobars/aluminum-aerobars/t1-plus.html

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: