Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #460 on: February 18, 2014, 12:40:29 PM
cccniuk

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 18, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »

A question for the non Americans or Canadians. Do racer's get delayed at the border crossing. I know you can get a visa in advance, but is it beneficial to travell from the uk to the usa then up to banff, or is it just as quick to go to calgary, banff and then rooseville?

Cheers.

Chris.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #461 on: February 18, 2014, 12:50:35 PM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »

Chris, I was held up 20-25 mins in total at the border as I went UK>Banff>USA, but a South African only minutes behind me went through as he'd gone USA>Canada>USA. I think returning to USA is faster than entering. So if that 25mins is typical, maybe not a problem. I guess it depends on how busy it is - was ok when I got there early afternoon.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #462 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:10 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »

A question for the non Americans or Canadians. Do racer's get delayed at the border crossing. I know you can get a visa in advance, but is it beneficial to travell from the uk to the usa then up to banff, or is it just as quick to go to calgary, banff and then rooseville?

Cheers.

Chris.

Non-Canadians/Americans should plan on 30 mins. Depends on the border guard but if no problems you'll be out in that time.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #463 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:03 AM
WatermelonSugar

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:03 AM »

Cheers.

Chris.

I had no problems/delays, just straight in from Canada, no visa in advance, took about 10min in total

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #464 on: February 19, 2014, 07:25:19 AM
tanman1337

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 19, 2014, 07:25:19 AM »

Thanks for checking on that Brian! I'm going to have to just try and get the smallest box that will be able to fit my bike for sure.

-Tanner

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #465 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:47 PM
spoke537

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »

I'm in Gunny, so not going to make it for beers. But I would love to car pool up there somehow. The key is the car, it would be a long shuttle, unless you want to Yo Yo that shit like Billy......so yeah one way rental car/van not sure how hard that would be, or someone to drop us off ?
I am up for ideas and making it work, would be cool way to get there!
Jefe
Hey Les, (Jefe, Montana, and/or Slowride),  I'm in Denver too! I just bought my ticket before this carpool ride conversation happened, but I would totally be down to carpool. If you think that's a possibility I may look into canceling my flight. Wanna get together for beers sometime and hash out some details? Anyone in CO for that matter? I am ITCHING to get out and ride, the weather is just now starting to get rideable again! -Andrew

Jefe, Montana, Slowride, Rashasha and anyone else,

We're still a few months away but here's my initial plan:  I'm driving to Banff from Denver sometime the first week of June (flexible there).  Leaving my truck in Banff and riding south with the grand depart.  A buddy of mine is going northbound, leaving his vehicle someplace to be determined near the Mexican border.  He'll drive my truck back to Denver.  I'll drive his car back to Denver.  I can carry 6 bikes and 6 bodies, if necessary, with plenty of overflow room for gear in my Chevy Silverado.  I was thinking a stop at Glacier National Park (or other points of interest) for some riding along the way but I can scrap that if people want to head straight to Banff.  If that sounds interesting to anyone, shoot me a PM and let's make some plans.

-Les

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #466 on: February 19, 2014, 04:06:00 PM
AZAnn

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 19, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »

Spoke537 - Going to the Sun Road that connects East/West Glacier NP was open to bicycles the first week in June last year.  No cars, just bicycles.  That would be a good training ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #467 on: February 19, 2014, 05:58:24 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 19, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »

Jefe, Montana, Slowride, Rashasha and anyone else,

We're still a few months away but here's my initial plan:  I'm driving to Banff from Denver sometime the first week of June (flexible there).  Leaving my truck in Banff and riding south with the grand depart.  A buddy of mine is going northbound, leaving his vehicle someplace to be determined near the Mexican border.  He'll drive my truck back to Denver.  I'll drive his car back to Denver.  I can carry 6 bikes and 6 bodies, if necessary, with plenty of overflow room for gear in my Chevy Silverado.  I was thinking a stop at Glacier National Park (or other points of interest) for some riding along the way but I can scrap that if people want to head straight to Banff.  If that sounds interesting to anyone, shoot me a PM and let's make some plans.

-Les

This sounds great Les, I'll be in touch via PM soon. I'd definitely be up for some riding in the Glacier NP area if others are game, although I don't believe Going-to-the-sun road will be open by then.

-John

~Edit~

Spoke537 - Going to the Sun Road that connects East/West Glacier NP was open to bicycles the first week in June last year.  No cars, just bicycles.  That would be a good training ride.

Aha, didn't realize they opened it to bike traffic early, good info.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:01:39 PM by SlowRide » Logged

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #468 on: February 19, 2014, 08:55:35 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 19, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »

Nice pictures man! Super pumped to get out there! Thanks for sharing!

I agree - photos like these are really helpful in seeing what we are up against.  Up to now, Montana was pretty much a blank spot on the map for me, but the pics help a lot.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #469 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:42 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »

Ha! Montana's freakin' huge. Still lots of surprises Wink

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #470 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:47 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:47 AM »

I'm planning to be at the start. Still getting things nailed down. I may have some room for an East-coaster, Southerner, or even someone along the way to join. It's looking like I'd get to Denver the weekend before then work up to Banff from there.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #471 on: February 22, 2014, 01:27:20 AM
MrWaves

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 22, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »

Chris, while I haven't raced the route - I have cycled it in a decent time, and since I live in the same area as you, it might be good to meet up.

Douglas (at edesign.co.uk)

Cheers.

Chris.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #472 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:11 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »

Here's a link to photo's I took of riders bikes this morning in the YMCA parking lot. I tried to take a bike profile/ front end configuration.
If I missed your bike it's not because I didn't think it was a cool setup. It's a lot of photographs to take in 1/2 hour!

link:

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/StevePuerzer/library/TD%202013%20bikes?sort=2&page=1

Is anyone going to run around snapping pics this year?  I loved the pics from the 2013 GD.  A great planning resource - compare your rig to those who rode last year.  Are you light?  Are you heavy?  Refine, refine, refine.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #473 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:44 AM
dp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »

I've got all my pictures up from the 2013 TD.  If anyone is interested in checking out a bunch of photos from my experience, check them out!  Hope it gets you all psyched for the upcoming race! 

http://www.ryansigsbeyphotography.com/Tour-Divide

Fantastic photos!  Inspiration.  Thanks for sharing.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #474 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:11 AM
mulemariachi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: February 25, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »

That's an awesome photo link.  I shall stare at them for a very long time now.

On another note, I have submitted my LOI.  I'm new to the process but do you receive anything as far as acknowledgement that they've received it or is it just something you submit so it's on record?

Vancouver Island Adventure Seeker
www.islandadventurecyclist.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #475 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:04 PM
dp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

That's an awesome photo link.  I shall stare at them for a very long time now.

On another note, I have submitted my LOI.  I'm new to the process but do you receive anything as far as acknowledgement that they've received it or is it just something you submit so it's on record?

Just enter your name and info on the google docs spreadsheet, and you're good to go. There's a link to it somewhere in this thread...

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #476 on: February 26, 2014, 04:29:03 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: February 26, 2014, 04:29:03 AM »

Just enter your name and info on the google docs spreadsheet, and you're good to go. There's a link to it somewhere in this thread...

The spreadsheet is an 'informal' LOI to the proper e-mail submission. Encouraged by a somewhat lazy Cordillera editor who got tired of trying to track down racers to make contributions :-)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #477 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:48 AM
PKraft_Sr.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »

The spreadsheet is an 'informal' LOI to the proper e-mail submission. Encouraged by a somewhat lazy Cordillera editor who got tired of trying to track down racers to make contributions :-)
Chris
I've been meaning to take the time to say thank you for doing such a great job on the Cordillera V5 it is fantastic.  Thanks so much for all of your hard work,  time and effort you put into improving an already great book. The book allowed me to relive many of the emotions I experienced while out on the divide. For those of you that are racing this year there is a lot of great information in it for you and besides that, it will certainly motivate you. For those of you who competed this past year - whether you finished or partially completed it, you really owe it to yourself to buy the book.  I don't mean to "sell" but it's something you should have.  It also helps out Dave B. and we all want to help Dave.
 Awesome job Chris - thank you!
Ps- a big thank you to Lis as well.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #478 on: February 26, 2014, 08:49:23 AM
maxsoutham

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 26, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »

Hey I have been planning to the Tour Divide this summer going south bound. I was just wondering if anyone know who the youngest person ever to complete the ride is. I also was interested in seeing if there is anyone one from the Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont area who would be interested in getting together for some riding starting in March once the road are clear.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #479 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:10 PM
PKraft_Sr.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »

I know of two(maybe three)  21 year olds that completed it last year
  Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: