Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #500 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:19 AM
Sime

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:19 AM »

Wore Mavic Screes in 2013 and will again in2014. Never noticed my feet at all, cold wet and tired my shoes where my best piece of gear. And yes you will walk more than you think you will. Think snow and mud. On a real hard climb at less than 3 miles per hour I would walk and eat. Would I sprint race in Screes, no. The size of the shoe is off wore 2 us sizes bigger than normal.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #501 on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:07 AM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »

I've got a pair of Sidi Diablos (Gore Tex), but I feel like the weight and bulk will be more trouble than it's worth, and this is my first TDR so I have no idea.  therefore going for the regular carbon shoes I have with trash bags, shoe covers, water proof socks, and hopefully some good luck.  also thinking maybe a pair of flip flops wouldn't be a bad idea.  I've got quite a few miles of pushing my bike up steep grades in the shoes and I'm confident, though frozen toes is a worry.

anybody think this is a terrible idea?

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #502 on: March 06, 2014, 01:15:52 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2014, 01:15:52 PM »

I've got a pair of Sidi Diablos (Gore Tex), but I feel like the weight and bulk will be more trouble than it's worth, and this is my first TDR so I have no idea.  therefore going for the regular carbon shoes I have with trash bags, shoe covers, water proof socks, and hopefully some good luck.  also thinking maybe a pair of flip flops wouldn't be a bad idea.  I've got quite a few miles of pushing my bike up steep grades in the shoes and I'm confident, though frozen toes is a worry.

anybody think this is a terrible idea?

No opinion from me, but I would like to point out that hike-a-bike on the GDMBR is almost never on good surfaces.  Common reasons for pushing include snow, mud, downed trees, avalanche debris, boulders, roots, etc., all of which can be hazardous to your health with the wrong shoes.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #503 on: March 06, 2014, 01:27:07 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: March 06, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »

I personally can't stand gore-tex cycling shoes, they don't breath well and stay wet once wet. There will be hike a bike for sure, but really the percentage is small compared to how much riding there is. For the TD I want a good stiff shoe that fits comfortably so I can wear it all damn day. For the CTR, AZT it is a different story....
Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #504 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:11 PM
Enzo149

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »

My carbon soled Sidi's were shot and I had to find a replacement suitable for everyday XC riding and racing plus bikepacking duties. I ended up going with the Pearl Izumi X-Project 1.0. They are light, the carbon sole seams to be just as responsive as my Sidis and have some give when walking, which the Sidis did not. I use custom insoles but the shoes do come with insoles that have adjustable arch support. I went with the 1.0 do to breath-ability. The faster the shoe can dry out the better. Disclaimer. I have spent limited time in these shoes since most of my riding is still done in my winter boots. 

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #505 on: March 07, 2014, 11:41:45 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 07, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »

Well, I guess I'm as official as I can get now.  I had already signed up on the TD website and the "unofficial spreadsheet" as well as booking my room at the Y.  Now I have the plane tickets and the reservation on the Banff Airporter.  I already have my gear sorted and tested.  Been on the trainer in the basement and pretty soon will be able to get outside to train. Still need to make whatever appropriate sacrifices to the gods of Spring and Weather for a dry, fast route through Canada with minimal snow.  I wold prefer NOT having a repeat of 2012 weather and snow-wise.

Best of luck to all in your preparations!

Bob

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #506 on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:58 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »

I had already signed up on the TD website...
Bob

Am I missing something? How do you sign up at the website? All I see on tourdivide.org hasn't been updated since 2011, except maybe the Leaderboard. Is there another site, or do you mean the bikepacker forum?

Also, what is the procedure for registering your spot-tracker so it shows up on the leaderboard?  thanks,

Nat

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #507 on: March 07, 2014, 05:56:01 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »

Am I missing something? How do you sign up at the website? All I see on tourdivide.org hasn't been updated since 2011, except maybe the Leaderboard. Is there another site, or do you mean the bikepacker forum?

Also, what is the procedure for registering your spot-tracker so it shows up on the leaderboard?  thanks,

Nat

There's still a contact link on the TD website - God only knows if it is monitored or not.  The Spot info will come later.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #508 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:37 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »

Nat

Spot registration:

http://trackleaders.com/trailtracking

Of course, you probably don't want to register it until just prior to launch.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #509 on: March 08, 2014, 09:53:30 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »

Spot registration:

http://trackleaders.com/trailtracking

Of course, you probably don't want to register it until just prior to launch.

-dp

It looks like the TD is not on the list on Trackleaders yet, just the GDMBR.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #510 on: March 08, 2014, 01:00:03 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »

It looks like the TD is not on the list on Trackleaders yet, just the GDMBR.

Just above the registration form...

Note: Please do not sign up for a long trail tracker if you are participating in an event or race (such as Tour Divide on the GDMBR, or CTR on the Colorado Trail). These events have separate signup pages -- email us for details.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #511 on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:56 AM
PhotoJB

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:56 AM »

I think I'm officially all in for a South Bound TDR this year. See you all in Banff!!

How many people ride northbound? It sure would make my logistics easier, as I live just North of Banff and could really subscribe to the race home theory, but it just seems all the cool kids are racing south.  headbang

It's what, two months away and I just need to sort my kit, ride myself into shape and colour coordinate my clothing  thumbsup

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #512 on: March 12, 2014, 04:58:32 AM
PhotoJB

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 12, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »

It's what, two months away and I just need to sort my kit, ride myself into shape and colour coordinate my clothing  thumbsup

To point out my own error, it's 3 months away! Plenty of training miles to be had  thumbsup

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #513 on: March 12, 2014, 05:20:11 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 12, 2014, 05:20:11 AM »

To point out my own error, it's 3 months away! Plenty of training miles to be had  thumbsup

Hey, cool!  Now you can slide for another month!  Wink

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #514 on: March 12, 2014, 05:36:39 AM
PhotoJB

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 12, 2014, 05:36:39 AM »

Hey, cool!  Now you can slide for another month!  Wink

I figure I'll ramp up the miles now that the Great White North is isn't quite so watery, buy why risk faded colours??

Honestly though, been preparing for months and months. So excited my wife finally got annoyed with me talking about the TDR that she figured out I needed to get it out of my system.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #515 on: March 13, 2014, 04:09:23 PM
EndoAgain

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 13, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »

Don't get so desperate to stick to a plan that you do something stupid like I did and push your luck. I did and a small fall on a slick surface and now my shoulder will require extensive rehab/surgery. I am out of 2014 after a solid year of training. Missing a few days here and there will not submarine your chances to complete the TD but taking chances in training will. With luck I will tour the divide in August. Without luck I should still have a good winter of training for next year as I am moving to Phoenix in a few months. Really, really enjoyed the preparation training and races last year and all of the comments, stories and advice on this forum even though I participated very little. The cordillera V was fantastic and I will use the first 4 to get me through the rehab and cycling withdrawals. Looking forward to all of your stories of an epic 2014 TD.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #516 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:30 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

Don't get so desperate to stick to a plan that you do something stupid like I did and push your luck. I did and a small fall on a slick surface and now my shoulder will require extensive rehab/surgery. I am out of 2014 after a solid year of training. Missing a few days here and there will not submarine your chances to complete the TD but taking chances in training will. With luck I will tour the divide in August. Without luck I should still have a good winter of training for next year as I am moving to Phoenix in a few months. Really, really enjoyed the preparation training and races last year and all of the comments, stories and advice on this forum even though I participated very little. The cordillera V was fantastic and I will use the first 4 to get me through the rehab and cycling withdrawals. Looking forward to all of your stories of an epic 2014 TD.

Hi Endo,

Too bad about your shoulder. Give me a PM when you get to Phoenix. I'll show you all the good stuff around here. Lucky to be able to ride essentially 365 days a year here. I feel for those who are just now able to ride outside.

Steve

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #517 on: March 16, 2014, 07:24:38 PM
BMac

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 16, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »

Enjoying reading everyone's posts in preparation for the June start. Thanks to my good friend Brad who shared his intention to tackle the TD this coming June. After reading dozens of blogs and accounts I was hooked. By Christmas I made the decision to join this amazing ride. Riding outside the past two months has been tough here north of Boston. We can't seem to break winters grip. On the bright side it's provided lots of practice figuring out my foul/cold weather gear. Thanks for all the valuable advice and shared experiences. Looking forward to meeting and seeing everyone in Banff.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #518 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:55 PM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:55 PM »

If a rider is doing an ITT,  is there some "official" mechanism for getting information on re-routes (if there are any?)   I checked the website but couldn't see any information there.   I know it's early so maybe this information will come out eventually.   I am wondering about the sections in Canada that may still have flood damage,  fires, etc. etc.   Reading Cordillera V, there were many references to riders getting email info, etc.  Does this happen in places with internet access on public terminals,  or via cell phones?  I read many people didn't carry cell phones since there was little coverage anyway.

Sorry,  I know this is a "rookie question"....  it boils down to...  "how do most people get info about detours....?"

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #519 on: March 18, 2014, 04:19:32 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: March 18, 2014, 04:19:32 AM »

Good Question. I am not carrying a cell phone so I am curious how it will all work out. Hopefully there won't be any detours!!!
Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/
  Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: