Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 94
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1700 on: July 14, 2015, 01:10:38 PM
littletogo

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: July 14, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »

First northbound GD rider to reach Banff!!!!!  Well done Jeff icon_biggrin

"Every adventure has a beginning and an end"

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1701 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:19 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »

Jeff Taylor here; seems like my SPOT although seemingly active, was not tracking my progress for the final leg of the trip NOBO. Looking to sort that out with SPOT/Matt. Finished on July 13 at 6:28.10 PM. Congrats to all the riders who took on the challenge of the TDR 2015. Jeff
Congrats, for sure.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1702 on: July 14, 2015, 03:08:47 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 14, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »

Big Congratulations to everyone who competed in this years race. Wow - what a race it was this year. From the amazing trio at the front though to Hal Russel knocking three days off last years ride. Standout ride from Josh to win, and Lael's woman's record was an amazing accomplishment.

Thanks as well of course to Matt Lee & Scott Morris for keeping this event so alive and interesting, Joe Polk for the MTBcast updates, and all those along the way who make efforts to keep the racers racing and the watchers watching. It was great to see a greater number of pics posted this year.

To all those racing the TD in 2016, happy training and see you in Banff at 08:00 Friday 10th June.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1703 on: July 14, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1703 on: July 14, 2015, 03:46:56 PM »

The last of the "racers" has arrived to Ovando.  21 year old NOBO Norman Jolly of Texas arrived around 3:30 pm with only about 550 more miles left on his adventure.  He is NOBO #3 and there are no-mo-nobo behind him.  So the race is officially over for us in Ovando, MT for this year.

Norman is looking really good despite breaking a rib just before starting out on the race last month.  His cousin Travis was joining him in the epic journey only to be punched out with dehydration soon after starting.  So Norm continued on his own; slowly, allowing his rib to heal along the way.  Hence the lack of huge miles every day.  But he says it is feeling better every day.

And Mike Ingram if you read this; slow down!!!  Norman is trying to catch up with you.   After he finishes his ice cream.

Folks it has, as always, been a real treat and experience to join you on this forum and to join you riders vicariously on your incredible journey.  We still get a lot of riders coming into town daily [currently our shelters are full with folks cycling every which way]; but the thrill of the race will be missed.  Until 2016!

And Eszter!  Someone is actually trying to make your photo booth idea a reality for next year.  HA!  We'll see if it happens.

To TDR 2016!
Carry on.

* Norman Jolly TX Jul 14 caboose.jpg (318.9 KB, 1024x748 - viewed 1152 times.)

* Norman Jolly TX July 14 02.jpg (301.64 KB, 1024x981 - viewed 1156 times.)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1704 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:01 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »

Three cheers for Ovando!

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1705 on: July 14, 2015, 04:32:01 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 14, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »

The last of the "racers" has arrived to Ovando.  21 year old NOBO Norman Jolly of Texas arrived around 3:30 pm with only about 550 more miles left on his adventure.  He is NOBO #3 and there are no-mo-nobo behind him.  So the race is officially over for us in Ovando, MT for this year.

Norman is looking really good despite breaking a rib just before starting out on the race last month.  His cousin Travis was joining him in the epic journey only to be punched out with dehydration soon after starting.  So Norm continued on his own; slowly, allowing his rib to heal along the way.  Hence the lack of huge miles every day.  But he says it is feeling better every day.

And Mike Ingram if you read this; slow down!!!  Norman is trying to catch up with you.   After he finishes his ice cream.

Folks it has, as always, been a real treat and experience to join you on this forum and to join you riders vicariously on your incredible journey.  We still get a lot of riders coming into town daily [currently our shelters are full with folks cycling every which way]; but the thrill of the race will be missed.  Until 2016!

And Eszter!  Someone is actually trying to make your photo booth idea a reality for next year.  HA!  We'll see if it happens.

To TDR 2016!
Carry on.

Thanks to you, Angler, and all of Ovando for the support each year.

I know of at least one more SoBo ITT that will be coming through in 10 days or so.

Lindsay Shepard will launch from Banff on this coming Friday, the 17th.  She's a student at Arizona State and had to attend an archaeology dig camp while we were enjoying the main body of TD.

Lindsay raced last year and finished in 30 days or so, I think.  This year, her goal is 20 days and I'm betting she'll do it.

I'll be watching her SPOT and cheering her on.  Don't know what the late start bodes for her as to weather, water availability, etc.

Thanks,

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1706 on: July 14, 2015, 04:52:58 PM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1706 on: July 14, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »

Lindsay Shepard will launch from Banff on this coming Friday, the 17th.  She's a student at Arizona State and had to attend an archaeology dig camp while we were enjoying the main body of TD.

Lindsay raced last year and finished in 30 days or so, I think.  This year, her goal is 20 days and I'm betting she'll do it.
[/quote]

Definately remember Lindsay from last year [or so].  Cool!  My job is not yet finished.  Also have an NHL hockey forum friend I have never met that started the Divide last week and will be here Friday.  We finally get to meet.  Was going to sneak her photo on here too.  It isn't the race but the circumstances are so cool I was hoping to share that too.

Okay!!  You have possibly not heard the last from Ovando.
Thank you all!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1707 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:15 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:15 PM »

Looks like you will have another racer through in the next day (or less)
Alex Hawkins is ITTing it.
http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide15i.php?name=Alex_Hawkins_ITT

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1708 on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:55 PM
Krampus Snail

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »

I'm sitting here at Holland Lake Lodge, enjoying a rest day in my totally not a race Divide tour. The daughter of the receptionist here told me, with great excitement, that she had gotten Josh Kato's autograph and was going to wow her mountain biking friends with it. She was obviously thrilled with her coup.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1709 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:34 PM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1709 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:34 PM »

I'm sitting here at Holland Lake Lodge, enjoying a rest day in my totally not a race Divide tour. The daughter of the receptionist here told me, with great excitement, that she had gotten Josh Kato's autograph and was going to wow her mountain biking friends with it. She was obviously thrilled with her coup.

Krampus Snail, I'm envious of you being there.  My wife and I got to chill there for a few days on our way back home after the race.  Sitting at the edge of the lake with a Holland Lake Breeze in hand is perfect post-TD relaxation.  Love that place.  The wonderful young gal there that asked me for my autograph, I think that meant more to me than it will to anyone else.  Happy trails Krampus!

Best of luck to you remaining NoBo folks.  Stick to it!
Also, to you ITT folks setting out, have a marvelous time.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1710 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:30 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »

Krampus Snail, I'm envious of you being there.  My wife and I got to chill there for a few days on our way back home after the race.  Sitting at the edge of the lake with a Holland Lake Breeze in hand is perfect post-TD relaxation.  Love that place.  The wonderful young gal there that asked me for my autograph, I think that meant more to me than it will to anyone else.  Happy trails Krampus!

Best of luck to you remaining NoBo folks.  Stick to it!
Also, to you ITT folks setting out, have a marvelous time.
Sounds magical, sorry I missed it.  Seeley Lake seemed like it would be a mellow place to hang out for a couple of days, on the times I stopped in to resupply.
Maybe some day.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1711 on: July 15, 2015, 08:23:42 AM
falkenjaeger

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 15, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »

Dogs? Someone could open a roadside stand in Cuba selling these for running the dog gauntlet down the road.  They also make a great emergency tent pole, splint, or use it to prop your head up (between forehead and bar bag) once you get to New Mexico.  Act now and get a free stick for scraping mud out of your chainstays! 

Just stumbled over this and wanted to lift the secret behind the stick on my sweet roll shown on the picture taken by Russ Kipp (if you are still interested). I had decided to bring a DIY tarp this time instead of a tent but didn't bring a tent pole. From my first run in 2013 I knew there wasn't any trees to be expected after Polaris for the next 100+ miles and I planned on camping that same night so I thought it would indeed make a good tent pole. I didn't need it in the end because I slept near Bannack Park under a roof anyways. BTW I didn't need it for the dogs either as I rode through Vallecitos around 11 pm so they were all asleep or at least off the road  sleepy1 Could be a good strategy for future riders.

Arriva Mexico!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1712 on: July 15, 2015, 01:42:53 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: July 15, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »

Just stumbled over this and wanted to lift the secret behind the stick on my sweet roll shown on the picture taken by Russ Kipp (if you are still interested). I had decided to bring a DIY tarp this time instead of a tent but didn't bring a tent pole. From my first run in 2013 I knew there wasn't any trees to be expected after Polaris for the next 100+ miles and I planned on camping that same night so I thought it would indeed make a good tent pole. I didn't need it in the end because I slept near Bannack Park under a roof anyways. BTW I didn't need it for the dogs either as I rode through Vallecitos around 11 pm so they were all asleep or at least off the road  sleepy1 Could be a good strategy for future riders.

I and another rider from Tahiti slept in the Post Office lobby in Vallecitos this year. We got on the road about 6 AM and had no issues with the dogs either. Heard them barking, but that was about it. Ran into a couple in Del Rito, but they were just looking for a friendly scratch behind the ears. Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1713 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:36 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1713 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:36 PM »

I and another rider from Tahiti slept in the Post Office lobby in Vallecitos this year. We got on the road about 6 AM and had no issues with the dogs either. Heard them barking, but that was about it. Ran into a couple in Del Rito, but they were just looking for a friendly scratch behind the ears. Smiley

I was all wound up about going through Vallecitos from all the stories. When I went through Vallecitos at about 7:30am I didn't have a dog even bark at me let alone chase me. Maybe riders have hit them with pepper spray a few times and they don't chase riders any more?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1714 on: July 16, 2015, 07:42:14 AM
mountainbaker

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 16, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »

I had no issues with dogs in Vallecitos, but on leaving Abiquiu at 2.30am, on the climbing out of town past a few small houses, I got chased by 4-6 dogs. One largish one got close and I bumped him on the head with a can of bear spray. Then then backed off. Was an exhilarating start to an awful day getting over Polvadera Mesa without enough food or water.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1715 on: July 16, 2015, 08:42:03 AM
littletogo

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 16, 2015, 08:42:03 AM »

I was all wound up about going through Vallecitos from all the stories. When I went through Vallecitos at about 7:30am I didn't have a dog even bark at me let alone chase me. Maybe riders have hit them with pepper spray a few times and they don't chase riders any more?

Being northbound I was one of the first few riders to run the Vallecitos gauntlet and made it almost all the way through, until the last driveway where a cute little terrier mutt came tearing after me.  I quickly unloaded a seconds worth of my pepper spray directly in the cute face of this mutt and was on my way.  Having my pepper spray in hand definitely came in handy as they tend to come out of nowhere and are pretty damn quick.  Nice adrenaline boost!

"Every adventure has a beginning and an end"

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1716 on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:52 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1716 on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:52 PM »

Episode July 16, 2015 – Tour Divide Final True Ups!
Here are the final true ups for the Tour Divide 2015 as we look ahead for the final jewel in the Triple Crown: The Colorado Trail Race!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/podcasts/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1717 on: July 16, 2015, 04:27:10 PM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1717 on: July 16, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »

Sorry but I had to post this. 

Please meet Dave Jennings of Whittier CA.   Inspiration is his middle name.  82 years young.  He came into Ovando today on the Divide Trail with a couple of younger companions.  He retired a while back. Took up road cycling a few years ago.  4 months ago he decided to try dirt trails and the Divide.  Bought himself a used bike.  Worked out for 4 months and hit the trail.  Is having tire issues in the form of blown tubes.  Stopped at a shop in Whitefish who couldn't find the exact problem but got him new tubes.  Stopped again at Rocky Mtn Adventure in Seeley Lake where Mike et al did a thorough inspection and figured he was having sidewall issues and tried taping it up.  [Please excuse me if this makes no sense as I am not technically supported on bike issues and am going by memory].  But flats continue to plague him.  And yet he is on his way out of Ovando with two more tubes in his pack to continue his journey.  I couldn't stand it.  I had to share him with the rest of you.  I found him incredible!

* Dave Jennings 82 yoa Whittier Jul 16 (5) Large e-mail view.jpg (349.56 KB, 1024x971 - viewed 1371 times.)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1718 on: July 16, 2015, 06:56:06 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 16, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »

That is so awesome!! Inspiring story. I hope he makes it!! Thanks for posting it.

GO DAVE!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2015 - race discussion thread Reply #1719 on: July 16, 2015, 09:58:41 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 16, 2015, 09:58:41 PM »

I see that Arizonan, NoBo Mike Ingram, made it to Butts Cabin tonight.  Elkford and beyond tomorrow?  Finish on Sunday sometime?

Another Arizonan, SoBo Lindsay Shepard, should be launching from Banff tomorrow.  She and Mike should run into each other around Elkford tomorrow.  Don't know how they can avoid it.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 94
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: