Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 11:33:18 AM
shredgnar85

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 11:33:18 AM »

I do have a fat bike so that's been great for actually getting outside, but it's also the bike I'm using  (swapping out for 29" wheels), and I'm getting antsy to get that all built up for Tour Divide mode! Will probably start swapping in new components in April or May and hope I don't forget anything. Getting really excited!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 11:36:14 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 11:36:14 AM »

I do have a fat bike so that's been great for actually getting outside, but it's also the bike I'm using  (swapping out for 29" wheels), and I'm getting antsy to get that all built up for Tour Divide mode! Will probably start swapping in new components in April or May and hope I don't forget anything. Getting really excited!

I seriously miss that excitement!!

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #22 on: January 05, 2023, 01:08:58 PM
daverill

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2023, 01:08:58 PM »

I'm in but still need to send the LOI in. I need to get over this Christmas cold I picked up but then there is lots of fat-biking and skinning going on the agenda for the next few months, along with a bit of trainer time for more structured stuff. Can't wait for June 9th!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #23 on: January 05, 2023, 01:11:30 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2023, 01:11:30 PM »

I'm in but still need to send the LOI in. I need to get over this Christmas cold I picked up but then there is lots of fat-biking and skinning going on the agenda for the next few months, along with a bit of trainer time for more structured stuff. Can't wait for June 9th!

Aside from the cold, all the good stuff, Dave!  What's your finish goal?

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #24 on: January 05, 2023, 02:38:41 PM
daverill

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2023, 02:38:41 PM »

After the last couple of summers riding 90% of the route (twice now ...) at a decent touring pace (80-90 a day avg.) I am going to shoot for 21 days or so. I think my knowledge of the route will result in having minimal concerns/unknowns with what's up the road, my kit/equipment, or figuring out efficient resupply. Hoping that allows me to focus more of my energy on keeping my head right, putting in the hours each day, and the best recovery I can muster. 21 days may prove to be ambitious but that is the goal.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 09:21:45 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 09:21:45 PM »

After the last couple of summers riding 90% of the route (twice now ...) at a decent touring pace (80-90 a day avg.) I am going to shoot for 21 days or so. I think my knowledge of the route will result in having minimal concerns/unknowns with what's up the road, my kit/equipment, or figuring out efficient resupply. Hoping that allows me to focus more of my energy on keeping my head right, putting in the hours each day, and the best recovery I can muster. 21 days may prove to be ambitious but that is the goal.

If 80-90 feels like touring, a 21 day finish seems like a good goal for you. Previous experience is a plus to, IMHO. I'll be cheering your DOT.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 08:46:30 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 08:46:30 PM »

KiwiDave

Are you putting up the usual Google Sheet signup thing?  The UK racers use that to contact each other

Cheers
Chris

Yes - Unofficial Starter's list is live for input at: https://forms.gle/L4TyZAYs6xng5Kps9

View starters at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mpehw03htjQG7fQn9RMCRgeisWDEePhCtrNc_c0ZdDw/edit?usp=sharing

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 11:46:54 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 11:46:54 AM »

I saw a post on one of the FB TD groups that Alex Howes was gonna start. If that's true, what does having Professionals in the event do? Will more follow? will others sponsors demand participation? Interesting point for discussion at any rate.

discuss....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:04:47 PM by Briansong » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #28 on: March 01, 2023, 01:53:26 PM
shredgnar85

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2023, 01:53:26 PM »

I imagine it might be similar to the state of gravel races at the moment. I'm not sure being the only professional means you're a guaranteed winner. I guess we'll see what happens!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #29 on: March 02, 2023, 09:31:46 AM
daverill

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2023, 09:31:46 AM »

It takes way more than protour watts to win something like the TD. I wish him well in his endeavor and am looking forward to seeing what he can do. I think the "risk" of having more pros/sponsored riders participating is likely along the lines of a continued slow degradation of the original solo spirit of the race. We've seen riders (and their sponsors) place a desire for exposure above the "do it completely solo" ethos that makes events like this so special. Its my opinion that film/media crews consisting of familiar faces following along, regardless of how well intentioned or "policed", provide an unfair advantage. That's my opinion and no one is going to change it, so I'm not interested in a debate. I guess in the end it all depends on the style in which they wish to participate. In this age of the 'gram and "look at me look at me" mindsets I'm not super optimistic.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #30 on: March 02, 2023, 09:47:28 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2023, 09:47:28 AM »

I imagine it might be similar to the state of gravel races at the moment. I'm not sure being the only professional means you're a guaranteed winner. I guess we'll see what happens!

Agree completely. There's so much that can happen out there. My entire point is, its gonna bring a new perspective to dot watching.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #31 on: March 02, 2023, 09:50:39 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2023, 09:50:39 AM »

It takes way more than protour watts to win something like the TD. I wish him well in his endeavor and am looking forward to seeing what he can do. I think the "risk" of having more pros/sponsored riders participating is likely along the lines of a continued slow degradation of the original solo spirit of the race. We've seen riders (and their sponsors) place a desire for exposure above the "do it completely solo" ethos that makes events like this so special. Its my opinion that film/media crews consisting of familiar faces following along, regardless of how well intentioned or "policed", provide an unfair advantage. That's my opinion and no one is going to change it, so I'm not interested in a debate. I guess in the end it all depends on the style in which they wish to participate. In this age of the 'gram and "look at me look at me" mindsets I'm not super optimistic.

Too bad. I think this could be good for the sport. Conversely, the underground nature of the sport has been changing anyway. There's full movies, countless YouTube video's. I could see there becoming a different event fro Professionals. You are free, as always to go out there whenever you want and be completely by yourself, if you so choose.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #32 on: March 02, 2023, 10:54:41 AM
daverill

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2023, 10:54:41 AM »

I totally see your side of it briansong! In as much as those youtube videos and movies inspire people to get out and try it themselves I think that's a Very Good Thing. I mean, I've watched most all of them myself. Twice! However, the one point I'd make there is that by far and away most of what you'll find online are a) tourists self documenting their tours on the GDMBR or b) racers self documenting their TD race. All of those are inspiring and I don't see any issue with self documenting things if you're racing (nothing matters but having fun if you're touring). Its the outside film/media crews that blur that self supported/solo line. Again, just my opinion. Keep in mind that my perspective of this is of a guy who started racing bicycles in the mid-80's as a junior and has seen a lot of change and not all of it good, so admittedly I get a bit curmudgeonly about things. When the rules of the race are blurred or simply open to anyone's interpretation its not a bike race anymore its a free for all. Man, I guess maybe I'm still carrying some baggage from racing against a bunch of dopers BITD. And that's totally on me lol!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #33 on: March 02, 2023, 12:44:49 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2023, 12:44:49 PM »

I totally see your side of it briansong! In as much as those youtube videos and movies inspire people to get out and try it themselves I think that's a Very Good Thing. I mean, I've watched most all of them myself. Twice! However, the one point I'd make there is that by far and away most of what you'll find online are a) tourists self documenting their tours on the GDMBR or b) racers self documenting their TD race. All of those are inspiring and I don't see any issue with self documenting things if you're racing (nothing matters but having fun if you're touring). Its the outside film/media crews that blur that self supported/solo line. Again, just my opinion. Keep in mind that my perspective of this is of a guy who started racing bicycles in the mid-80's as a junior and has seen a lot of change and not all of it good, so admittedly I get a bit curmudgeonly about things. When the rules of the race are blurred or simply open to anyone's interpretation its not a bike race anymore its a free for all. Man, I guess maybe I'm still carrying some baggage from racing against a bunch of dopers BITD. And that's totally on me lol!

Everyone has their own interpretation of self supported. I did the GD in 2014 and an ITT in 2021, August start. The GD I saw things that made me raise my eyebrows some. Some I believe was not in the "spirit" of the rules and some were outright illegal in my opinion.

The film crew thing, Man tough subject. I think some programs were given special dispensation for other reasons than the rules. While others get called out for the same behavior. I see different folks, being held to different standards and I don't really understand why.

I tend to just do my own thing and carry on. I'm not gonna ever win anyway.

Back to the Professionals, Spend some time watching the "Life Time Grand Prix" series on YouTube. It covers all 6 races and it is very entertaining. Thats the series Alex Howes does.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #34 on: March 02, 2023, 02:38:23 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2023, 02:38:23 PM »

When Lifetime buys the Tour Divide, we'll know we've entered the New Era. (jk)

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #35 on: March 07, 2023, 07:11:03 PM
TugMariner

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2023, 07:11:03 PM »

If Lifetime buys the TD, then my wife might actually get interested in the sport!  ;-)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #36 on: March 08, 2023, 01:54:53 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2023, 01:54:53 PM »

Hahaha, mine too.  icon_biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW6v2kpDw6g

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #37 on: March 09, 2023, 07:14:40 AM
bjamin

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2023, 07:14:40 AM »

Tubes: Butyl v latex v TPU

What recommendations do you have for spare tube(s)?

Butyl is the old trusty but heavy and bulky; Latex light, small but delicate. Haven't run TPU.

Thanks
bjamin

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #38 on: March 13, 2023, 12:10:00 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2023, 12:10:00 PM »

Tubolito mtn tube 3 oz
Tubolito S-Tubo mtn tube 1.6 oz (the extra light version)

Lezyne butyl extralight tube 5.1 oz
Regular butyl mtn tube 8.8 oz

I've used one tube in each of two TD races, none in a third (I run tubeless and carried two butyl). I now carry TPU tubes on my training rides. For the next TD I'm going to carry two TPU tubes, and maybe an S-Tubo as backup-backup. Oh, and the TPUs take up a hell of a lot less space!

Let's see the weights:
2 TPU = 6 oz
2 TPU + S-Tubo = 7.6 oz
1 TPU + 1 butyl = 11.8 oz
2 butyl = 17.6 oz
2 Lezyne extralight butyl (#SV19A, hard to find) 10.2 oz (they're a tad fragile being thin - I've got several and no longer will be buying them)

So, all comes down to how comfortable you feel in case you need a tube. Oh, and this neglects the ability to patch a tube after you install it, so you have a form of backup in the repair kit (0.4 oz for the TPU kit). A tube is for getting you to the a) Next shop to buy another tube as backup, or b) Bike shop to fix your tubeless setup. However, all bets are off with either tube type in goathead thorn territory! (Read: New Mexico). By the way, a lot cheaper to get the generic TPU from Aliexpress. I think they're $5 or so. Also, I carry TPU for all my road bikes, and recently had to use one - still in the tire and holds air fine.

I had FIVE flats between Wamsutter and Brush Mtn Ranch in 2015. Happened to be the hottest day of the race, and I sat on the dirt road sweating and mumbling to my self while taking the wheel off three times (two snakebite flats, one small slow leak hole, and two punctures - all within 1/4 mile!!!). However, all were my fault as I had neglected to pump the tube up at the start of the day. I had put the tube in after letting too much air out of my tubeless, and couldn't get a seal to refill it. I fixed the holes, rather than swap the second tube in, as I had a ways to go to Steamboat bike shop. So, all my fault.

During the 2013 race I sliced my rear tubeless tire on a waterbar descending into Whitefish, and installed a tube. Fixed the tire/tubeless in Polaris MT. In 2017 I had no tire issues.

Now you've got more data points to worry about!  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2023 - Race Prep Discussion Reply #39 on: March 16, 2023, 09:19:13 PM
bjamin

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2023, 09:19:13 PM »

Thanks, Flinch! Curious, What tires did you run?
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: