Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:17 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »

Several of the comments in this thread suggest limiting calls home in some way or form for valid and sound ‘tactical’ reasons.  I don’t disagree or object to any of these tactical reasons or rationales for limiting calls but I will not be following any of them.

Personally, a call home is not so much for me, but for my wife and family.  For the last 10 yrs I have spent about 50-75% of my work time on the road, so being away from home and family is very routine. And personally I thrive on the additional isolation of a multi-day event.  But at the end of the day my calls home are very much a form of courtesy to my wife and family.  Doing a multi-day event is a selfish action in some ways.  Restricting my calls home for tactical reasons, even good ones, would make it a bit more selfish of me, and I won’t do that. 

This is very personal imo and “To each his own”………..

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 12:21:20 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »

Marshal, the GDMBR is not the CTR. There is very little opp. to get caught above treeline.

IMHO, the toughness Chris speaks of is displayed at the moment one is confronted with the option to motel it; at the 'choice' junctures (usually in towns). If you make it past this and out of town, the survival part down route in the backcountry will take care of itself--no matter how not conducive to good sleep or resupply it might be. You have no choice, really. You bivy. You cope. Part of toughness is great physical strength/endurance but just as important is the unwillingness to be swayed/influenced from gobbling miles no matter what. This is where my talk on unclutter and no concessions come from. Eliminate the 'tough' choices and you have no choice but to be tough--because ultimately we all have that capacity. And therein lies the beginning of the 'heightened experience' and one of the more beautiful elements of racing a grand tour. Ask of yourself earnestly with faith to go bigger than you've ever thought possible. When/if you respond and break through to the next level, the possibilities seem endless. As the Italians say, it's Belissimo!
Good points, I can 'see' what your driving at.  Scary in some ways but also challenging, & I like challenges

Marshal, one last thing regarding mental. I am hereby calling you and anyone else out that tries to cite their age as a factor in their 'choices' on how to race a grand tour. I would like you to stop it. And get that nonsense out of your head. It's you against the course. period. Not you on an age curve, but you on a toughness curve. Cool?
I am not trying to use ‘physical’ age (ie an inherent part of my physical capabilities) as an ‘excuse’ but it does have to be factored into my planning.  Accounting for my age and resulting ‘physical’ limitations is not nonsense, just part of a ‘practical’ approach to maximizing my actual potential.

However If you basically mean that ‘mental toughness’ has little if anything to do with ‘age’ I would whole heartedly agree.  One could even argue the opposite.  And I also recognize that said mental toughness is the ‘larger factor’ in finishing a TD type event.  Short of a physical ‘injury’ like a blown knee or illness, like food poisoning, mental fortitude, or lack of, seems to be the main reason why other wise capable racers drop.  That said, from hence forth I will attempt to refrain from mentioning my poor old and decrepit age.  sad2

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 12:41:58 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »

The big question is with the kit you decide on: It's getting dark, it rained earlier so it's cold and threatening more rain but it's only 8pm. Do you roll out of town to keep riding since you just finished a meal and resupply? Is there an item you did or could have brought that would make you comfortable with continuing on vs staying in town?
I aggree with the 'have the right gear' to continue argument.  But with regards to hotel rooms and laying up ‘early’ I want to throw out a counter argument and hear back from you and other TD participants. .  

Wouldn’t it be just as fast or even faster to lay up a few hours early in the hotel room and then just leave early?  Ie: the total time stopped could be the same or even less but with better recovery.  Would this not be the correct chess move in some cases?  I am not saying you ‘plan’ on it but take advantage if it falls your way.  

Note: I left a hotel room around 1:00am after about 4-5 hrs during the CTR and found it very effective in terms of less time stopped with better/needed recovery.  Note: On the TD this would require a good light.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #63 on: December 10, 2009, 01:17:51 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »

Leaving a hotel room in the middle of the night is good provided you can pull a long day the following day. I definitely shifted my schedule towards the end as fatigue and weather dictated. However I've seen lots of people roll into a hotel room early and stay until morning. No problem with that I suppose other than it's slower. It seems to be far harder for many but not all to get up at 1am and bust a move than to get up at dawn.

Anyway the point of the sentence was not just about crashing in a hotel room vs sleeping out, just that sometimes a few extra ounces of gear gives you the mental foundation with which to continue. For example...if I had booties or more warm clothes at the AZT 300, I might have chased Kurt up Lemmon!

And oh man, the fatigue factor is just so hard to write about. Sometimes you're flying high and other times it's just brutal towards the end. I think I'll do it all again someday but I have some new adventures first and more to teach myself before that point.

To race your hardest is certainly a far harder goal to do than it is to say and I'm still in awe of other's performances out there.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #64 on: December 10, 2009, 02:52:01 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »

I may be way off base here but I think the less technical nature of the TD route (vs the typical ST with hike-a-bike required routes I have done) will play to my advantage.  I hope I will be able to better control my effort/output and hence stay closer, but to the right side of that ‘edge’ where I overextend and shut down the stomach
Don't underestimate the toll that hours on end of higher (than singletrack) cadence brings to bear, but yes, a different beast and easier to get food down. Eating in the TT bars is very possible on many of the surfaces. I like to describe a steady-gunning Divide effort as chilling in the "love zone" at 69% of LT. It's all you need to go 18hrs long n' strong. Also, consider the ways you can make your body more fuel efficient. Fat content is obviously key and slight overdressing to maintain core temp conserves calories too.

The parting phrase "two orders of chicken tenders with fries to go" has been a recurrent and successful mantra for me. That is, of course, after I've ordered my eat-in entree(s).

Wouldn’t it be just as fast or even faster to lay up a few hours early in the hotel room and then just leave early?  Ie: the total time stopped could be the same or even less but with better recovery.  Would this not be the correct chess move in some cases?  I am not saying you ‘plan’ on it but take advantage if it falls your way.
You'll come to conclusions about what your own circadian rhythm will be out there. I suggest you arrive at it quickly and stick with it. The race is too long, too painful to be mixing it up too much. train the machine early, let it do it's thing and it will be happy. happy machine =happy mind.

Divide night riding is never as efficient as riding during the day. Especially at average speeds in the teens to 20s. It's too scary cuz you really can't see that well, that far ahead on flat roads and epic downhills (unless you have a heavy light). It strains your eyes and beats up (vibrates) the body more too. The returns are pretty diminished after dark unless you're waiting for a road to dry up due to a t-storm that halted you in the afternoon. The one exception is pavement. See the sleep monster thread on the forums. These issues are even more pronounced in a grand tour than a sprint race like the CTR. Once we've amassed a big enough sample size, I'd like to do some trackleaders analysis on avg. speed post sundown.

Unless you are attacking someone or trying to finish off at AW before the heat of the day, generally plan to ride from 5am to 11pm. That's 18hours. If you don't eff around during that shift, you'll get your work done. I promise.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 04:08:00 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

Eliminate the 'tough' choices and you have no choice but to be tough--because ultimately we all have that capacity. And therein lies the beginning of the 'heightened experience' and one of the more beautiful elements of racing a grand tour. Ask of yourself earnestly with faith to go bigger than you've ever thought possible. When/if you respond and break through to the next level, the possibilities seem endless.

This is a good thread. It's making me really wish I had signed up for the Iditarod Trail Invitational this year. With all the talk of staying fast, some of those "other" reasons for participating in a multiday bicycle race are cropping up. Being forced to be tough can be a wonderful thing.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #66 on: December 10, 2009, 04:41:35 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »

Don't underestimate the toll that hours on end of higher (than singletrack) cadence brings to bear.........

Actually I suspect I am underestimating the TD.  I think that’s almost inevitable for a newbie.  If I wasn’t, I probably wouldn’t be so interested in subjecting myself to this particular refining fire.

Like Chris mentioned it’s easier to talk about racing it vs actually doing the hard racing. 

However asking all these questions and reading from those who have done it helps clarify the ol thought process. 

At this point in my preparations I am deliberately withholding committing to a particular racing approach or ‘style’.  In the near future I hope to sneak in enough training and testing to naturally evolve, grow and confirm a TD approach that best suites my strengths and weaknesses.

In the mean time I appreciate all the input on this thread.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #67 on: December 11, 2009, 09:59:56 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »

Actually I suspect I am underestimating the TD.  I think that’s almost inevitable for a newbie.  If I wasn’t, I probably wouldn’t be so interested in subjecting myself to this particular refining fire.

If I was going to attempt TD, nutrition would be at the top of my concerns.  This year I started using food enzymes and probiotics during events to enhance GI function.  The results were actually quite astounding - and consequently I was able to put down a lot more calories in any given period of time, and also burn more over long durations - ie, faster racing.

On the flip side, for all multi-day events I lost a lot of weight.  After Grand Loop, which was only 2.5 days, I was under 3% bodyfat.  So, clearly not a sustainable pace.

For something as long as TD the energy in is going to need to be close to energy out.  Not precisely...but close.  You can dig only so much hole and keep going for 2700 miles.

Marshal, if you still have your power meter you can do some quick math to get close to knowing where this balance point lies.  Figure ~ 2k Cal/day for metabolism, then use kJ roughly equal to Cal expenditure.  Can you consistently eat that many calories/day for 3 weeks?

Something to consider for the next 7 months of training Smiley

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #68 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:59 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »

And for those who don't eat fat...well you might want to start. Getting down enough cals/day without a higher fat load than might be considered "normal" is next to impossible for me. I haven't had to go to drinking oil extremes but high fat snacks are huge on the TD. We're not kidding about the King Size section of the candy bar aisle! Carbs and protein are important too but I'll be danged if you can keep from a huge calorie hole every day without some serious fat intake. By my best estimates for the TD I came in maybe 5lbs overweight at best and lost 10lbs or more out there. I was definitely a rail at the finish line.

Hehe, who else gets the major sleepies after a hot meal gorging?? Smiley Man leaving pie town I had to nap several times right on the road!

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #69 on: December 11, 2009, 10:17:54 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2009, 10:17:54 AM »

If I was going to attempt TD, nutrition would be at the top of my concerns.  This year I started using food enzymes and probiotics during events to enhance GI function.  The results were actually quite astounding - and consequently I was able to put down a lot more calories in any given period of time, and also burn more over long durations - ie, faster racing.

For something as long as TD the energy in is going to need to be close to energy out.  Not precisely...but close.  You can dig only so much hole and keep going for 2700 miles.

Marshal, if you still have your power meter you can do some quick math to get close to knowing where this balance point lies.  Figure ~ 2k Cal/day for metabolism, then use kJ roughly equal to Cal expenditure.  Can you consistently eat that many calories/day for 3 weeks?

I've always carried these shelf-stable probiotics during the racing. Yogurt's good too as well as taking in as much ginger and garlic as you can stomach. I also bolus up on intestinal health before hand.

Re. weight, a little gain b/f the race is good, but not so much it affects fitness. Eating is one of the most fun aspects of racing the Divide. I have averaged between 5-10lbs of weight loss annually. Muscle loss in strange places, such as your upper body occurs as well. Freaky stuff. king size Pearson's peanut rolls are my snack of choice. 700 calories in the big ones plus plenty o protein and they weigh nothing.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #70 on: December 11, 2009, 10:18:27 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »

What about getting some fiber?  Goodness me, all the talk about high fat/protien/carbs and I'm getting stopped up just thinking about it all!  

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #71 on: December 11, 2009, 10:21:22 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »

And for those who don't eat fat...well you might want to start. Getting down enough cals/day without a higher fat load than might be considered "normal" is next to impossible for me. I haven't had to go to drinking oil extremes but high fat snacks are huge on the TD. We're not kidding about the King Size section of the candy bar aisle! Carbs and protein are important too but I'll be danged if you can keep from a huge calorie hole every day without some serious fat intake. By my best estimates for the TD I came in maybe 5lbs overweight at best and lost 10lbs or more out there. I was definitely a rail at the finish line.

Hehe, who else gets the major sleepies after a hot meal gorging?? Smiley Man leaving pie town I had to nap several times right on the road!

mmmm food coma!

Yeah 2007 i lost 13 lbs and that was with trying to eat everything in sight....  This past year only 7 lbs over 1300 miles...  

fun to scare folks at dinners bu ordering 3 sides of bacon Wink

Peanut butter and almond butter has been a staple of mine on route. I've been known to kill a whole jar and loaf of bread on long days as well

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #72 on: December 11, 2009, 10:22:11 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »

What about getting some fiber?  Goodness me, all the talk about high fat/protien/carbs and I'm getting stopped up just thinking about it all! 

Thats what crewing on coffee beans is for Wink

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #73 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:15 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »

Travis,

Heh, the bathroom has never been an issue for me with that much riding. I'm probably more regular out there than at home.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #74 on: December 11, 2009, 10:37:42 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2009, 10:37:42 AM »

Travis,

Heh, the bathroom has never been an issue for me with that much riding. I'm probably more regular out there than at home.

Also, from someone a bit sensitive between the pipe ends, probiotics help tremendously in that regard.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #75 on: December 11, 2009, 10:39:18 AM
naked indian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2009, 10:39:18 AM »

Travis,

Actually recent evidence suggest its healthier to squat to poo then to sit to poo...

ChEcK OuT ThE NaKeD InDIaN ChrOniClEs: http://singletracksamurai.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #76 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:41 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

If I was going to attempt TD, nutrition would be at the top of my concerns.  This year I started using food enzymes and probiotics during events to enhance GI function.  The results were actually quite astounding - and consequently I was able to put down a lot more calories in any given period of time, and also burn more over long durations - ie, faster racing.

On the flip side, for all multi-day events I lost a lot of weight.  After Grand Loop, which was only 2.5 days, I was under 3% bodyfat.  So, clearly not a sustainable pace.

For something as long as TD the energy in is going to need to be close to energy out.  Not precisely...but close.  You can dig only so much hole and keep going for 2700 miles.

Marshal, if you still have your power meter you can do some quick math to get close to knowing where this balance point lies.  Figure ~ 2k Cal/day for metabolism, then use kJ roughly equal to Cal expenditure.  Can you consistently eat that many calories/day for 3 weeks?

Something to consider for the next 7 months of training Smiley
So are the food enzymes and probiotics you use in pill or powder form?  Do you carry them during a multi-day?  To get the enhanced GI function do you have to take them ‘every day’ or could use some for just a day or so to smooth out a rough spot?

I sold the power meter to pay for my new frame.  I promised my wife I would minimize the cost of doing the TD if she would say ‘ok’, seemed a logical price to pay…….

I still have all my PM base data including the associated HR data.  In general I plan on focusing training my body to maintain the ‘HR’ that equates to Matt’s {"love zone" at 69% of LT.}  Not as good as the PM but it will have to do.

Ha, I am not sure I ‘want’ to calculate the necessary cal/day, can not imagine ‘counting’ the cals consumed daily for 2750 miles………ahhhh……..

edit--just read Matt's post with link....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:52:45 AM by trail717 » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #77 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:11 AM
daveB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:11 AM »

Fat in town: ice cream, egg salad, cream sauce, anything fried
Fiber in town: salad, fresh fruit

Fat on the trail: peanut butter, avocados, salted nuts, olive oil (better in a pot of hot glop than just shots), highly processed snack food normally eaten by obese people (hmmmm...)
Fiber: dried fruit

I always pack one Immodium in case the shift in diet doesn't sit well.  Just a tiny nibble of one of those green babies will set me straight.

-----------------

On another topic...training.  I plan to pack into my spring at least a few 2 or 3 day rides, simulating typical race day duration and terrain.  
How long of a taper period after the last of those seems good?  Up here in northern VT spring comes late enough to limit available training days, but I do want to be adequately rested for June 11.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #78 on: December 11, 2009, 10:54:19 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »

Also, from someone a bit sensitive between the pipe ends, probiotics help tremendously in that regard.
to add to to another thread that has come down to poo, dehydration is probably the biggest culprit in Divide constipation. the nightly recovery process, complete with night sweats, is insane, requires more water than you can comfortably intake without waking up too pee excessively. expect morning dehydration to be part n parcel. You just get on top of it as soon as you can.

Marshal, the jarro are pretty cheap. capsules. you can mix them into a drink if you break em apart -- or whatever. Most important is GI health in the months of lead-up. Once the race begins you're really not going to do that much but maintain. I recommend lysine intake prior as well.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #79 on: December 11, 2009, 11:15:43 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »

So are the food enzymes and probiotics you use in pill or powder form?  Do you carry them during a multi-day?  To get the enhanced GI function do you have to take them ‘every day’ or could use some for just a day or so to smooth out a rough spot?

For years I've had an issue with ability to process food after 6-10 hours.  I have developed a theory that this is due to using calorie sources during events that are far from their natural state - and stripped of biological value.  So for the long ones I was really gunning this year I popped a probiotic every 6 hours of activity.  Expensive little buggers, the kind on mercola.com, but they worked a charm.
I sold the power meter to pay for my new frame.  I promised my wife I would minimize the cost of doing the TD if she would say ‘ok’, seemed a logical price to pay…….
Whatever it takes to get to the start line is OK!  It would honestly be tough to make sense of it all anyway as sustainable power is sensitive to altitude.
I still have all my PM base data including the associated HR data.  In general I plan on focusing training my body to maintain the ‘HR’ that equates to Matt’s {"love zone" at 69% of LT.}  Not as good as the PM but it will have to do.
That'll work...sort of.  I'm not sure what Matt's love zone really is?  69% of LTHR or power at LT, and what that definition of LT is...and HR response will almost certainly fall throughout the event even though power may not.  I think for GDMBR racing PE is going to be king.

I'm pretty sure TD is long enough that you don't want to be peaked at the start line, but rather show up with the fitness needed to reach a peak oh about Wyoming or Colorado.  At least that's the approach found best by one previous record holder Wink

I really like how this thread is moving on towards real strategy, and of course, poo.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: