Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #240 on: January 15, 2010, 10:39:02 AM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »

My wife really likes her Terry fly saddle.  However, someone did point out to me that they had also used the Terry, but found they hold a lot of water - i assume due to the thicker padding.

Rider shorts/chamois combo would be interesting to hear about.  I'll throw mine out there.  The Sugoi RS bib shorts.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #241 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:34 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »

my favorite so far has been an old terry that I have on my road bike, but i'm thinking of trying something new... brooks maybe?  
On Terry, I rode with Trish Stevenson in `04. She used the traditional 'spongy' Butterfly. I think it was fine comfort-wise (for her) but the rather porous outer uptook quite a bit of water during downpours allowing saturation. Suzanne, you mention ITT bars up thread. I suggest you arrive at your ITT bar selection (+1 for Synatce C2), then integrate saddle from there. You must find something that's comfy back on your sit bones as well as out 'on the rivet'. The only way to do that is to test together. One quality you'll be looking for is stable sit bone roost even when nose is tilted slightly downward (for TT position).

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #242 on: January 15, 2010, 11:35:53 AM
SuzM

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »

Matthew - as always, excellent advice.  I'll experiment with the aero bars in combination with my Terry and see.  It's nice to hear that other women like their Terry B-flys, maybe this will be the way to go, after all if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I can see the point about them taking on water, but mine has always seemed to dry out pretty fast (i do live in the PNW after all!). 

Thanks, and any more suggestions are welcome! 

Suzanne

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #243 on: January 15, 2010, 11:44:12 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2010, 11:44:12 AM »

maybe this will be the way to go, after all if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I can see the point about them taking on water, but mine has always seemed to dry out pretty fast (i do live in the PNW after all!). 
maybe try this cover for the downpour times. it's cheap and fits the b-fly: http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=SA2040

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #244 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:48 AM
SuzM

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:48 AM »

Nice!  Another good idea.  Now the question is, if I stick with the B-fly, do I get a new one and get it broken in before the race or do I take the one I have which is probably 6-7 years old at this point?  Hmmm, I might have just answered my own question, i think i forgot just how old that saddle is... :-)

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #245 on: January 15, 2010, 03:49:28 PM
daveB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »

Aero bars:
I'm running Profile Design Carbon Stryke.

One problem is that clip on aeros are intended for road drop bars, which have a shorter reach than a regular mtb setup.  The Carbon Strykes have the unusual ability to adjust the pads rearward, I have center of pad about 1.75" behind center of bar.  Its definitely a compromise, but I don't know of a better solution without custom fabrication.

The Siren Fred is an odd thing, I'm curious to see a closeup picture of how the resulting pile of bars fits together.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #246 on: January 15, 2010, 04:01:27 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »

It probably goes without saying but this is the basics thread. Everything on your bike, as much as is possible, should be broken in so it's comfortable and reliable but otherwise as fresh as possible. This goes for drivetrain, wheels, clothes, etc etc.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #247 on: January 15, 2010, 05:15:00 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »

The Carbon Strykes have the unusual ability to adjust the pads rearward, I have center of pad about 1.75" behind center of bar.  Its definitely a compromise, but I don't know of a better solution without custom fabrication
just make sure you can take decent hits from potholes and washboard with pads fully weight-loaded. btw, TT bar accessory mounts make great spots for lights and/or computers.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #248 on: January 15, 2010, 05:31:09 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »

I used a the same Terry Butterfly saddle for a year and a half - probably in excess of 10,000 miles after Tour Divide. I loved that saddle - 18 months without a single application of chamois cream, and only minimal saddle sores. My only complaint about that it is that a huge chunk of foam broke off the front about 400 miles from the border and I had to tape it together with duct tape, thereafter fearing the possibility that any big jolt might render me infertile.

So too old is a bad idea. But I think the common wisdom is use a saddle you're comfortable with.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #249 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:38 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »

Aero bars:
I'm running Profile Design Carbon Stryke.

One problem is that clip on aeros are intended for road drop bars, which have a shorter reach than a regular mtb setup.  The Carbon Strykes have the unusual ability to adjust the pads rearward, I have center of pad about 1.75" behind center of bar.  Its definitely a compromise, but I don't know of a better solution without custom fabrication.

The Siren Fred is an odd thing, I'm curious to see a closeup picture of how the resulting pile of bars fits together.

Here is a pic of the Fred http://sirenbicycles.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/making-stuff-introducing-the-fred-bar/

I just got an email back from Siren  (http://www.sirenbicycles.com/mainpage.html), said they will be making up a batch of Freds soon, with a bit thicker tube this yr

I will be playing with a adjustable stem and/or stacked stems on my as yet uncut fork tube till I get a Fred

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #250 on: January 15, 2010, 08:52:25 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2010, 08:52:25 PM »

I'm wondering if I got this right; is the Fred a second set of handlebars that you mount on the steerer tube? And then the areo bars are mounted on top of the Fred?

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #251 on: January 15, 2010, 09:00:43 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »

Ok, I just found my own answer.

http://sirenbicycles.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fredbarsetup.jpg

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #252 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:24 AM
daveB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »

I made an inquiry with Siren and got this response:

Thanks for getting in touch. Have a look here: http://picasaweb.google.com/SirenMary/Frieda#5208975305278356594 to get a better idea as to how the aero bars fit. We're getting a run together right now (we have a number of Divide people sending in orders & inquiries). This next generation will have a CNC machined stem rather than the hand-machined piece I've been making so far.
     Also- we are an OEM partner with Syntace aero bars. You might have a look at their products here http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3
     We might be able to put together a package deal on a Fred+Syntace setup.

thanks again!
Brendan

Happy Trails!

Siren Bicycles, LLC
951.572 BIKE

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #253 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:07 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »

About mailing packages along the route; is it necessary to do that for spare bike parts? How are the bike shops along the route stocked? I plan on having my drivetrain, brake pads and tires renewed before I start in June. All of my drivetrain parts are shimano so I think I shouldn't have a problem. Comments??

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #254 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20:20 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20:20 AM »

The bike shops that exist are mostly great, there just aren't very many of them on the route. Pinedale is particularly small though the owner is very very nice. If there is something you know you will need, or just greatly suspect, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to mail it ahead.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #255 on: January 18, 2010, 10:47:35 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »

Do people usually send packages ahead? To be honest, I wouldn't know where to send one. Steamboat? Or Salida? I know at somepoint in race I'll need a new drivetrain, and possibly rear brake pads but where?

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #256 on: January 18, 2010, 10:54:12 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »

I carried spare brake pads in my kit. They're light and field serviceable at least on my bike.

Salida is a good place to send stuff. The bike shop there is very GDMBR friendly and the town is well located on route. A good working bike in Salida should get you to the end. Steamboat would also be a fine option.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #257 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:45 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »

I carried spare brake pads in my kit. They're light and field serviceable at least on my bike.

Salida is a good place to send stuff. The bike shop there is very GDMBR friendly and the town is well located on route. A good working bike in Salida should get you to the end. Steamboat would also be a fine option.
As Chris says, carry pads, extra chain links, etc. (light stuff). the time/timing required to get on route makes it worth carrying. I can't speak for everyone but with the exception of last year I have always comfortably finished the route on 1 drivetrain with a simple chain replacement in Steamboat. Rawlins is the halfway point so if you wanted to do it there, all the better for your rings.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #258 on: January 18, 2010, 06:04:43 PM
JMeiser

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »

I would agree that Steamboat and Salida are perfect drop spots.  Steamboat would be a good place to stash stuff that you might want, but may not need.  Salida's a good spot for a change of rear tire if necessary, a new chain, and perhaps a middle chainring depending on the year. 
My need for a new drivertrain and ultimately frame was as a result of the rain this year along the route.  An extra der. hanger or an ER hanger wouldn't be a bad idea to put in the kit...I rode from Lima to Steamboat on an ER hanger with zero problems. 
Otherwise, just plan on sending stuff home along the route.  You'll likely learn that you don't need alot of the stuff you've brought along.

Think about the regular use stuff you'll need as well and where you can get it, or more importantly what you can substitute for it.  I've heard of at least one character who started using oil from bars and restaurants for chainlube...Perhaps a bit of lard would substitute for chamois cream?  Just don't do that in bear country.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #259 on: January 18, 2010, 08:07:42 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »

........  I've heard of at least one character who started using oil from bars and restaurants for chainlube...Perhaps a bit of lard would substitute for chamois cream?  Just don't do that in bear country.
Ya, I never did understand the restaurant oil thingy??  Mental fatigue, pleasant smell, emergency food supply?  icon_scratch icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Why not just buy some 3-in-1 oil or a bottle of motor oil and a small shampoo bottle from just about any convenience store re-supply stop—empty/use the shampoo bottle and fill with motor oil etc.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: