Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #280 on: February 06, 2010, 06:13:37 AM
iRideAdv

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2010, 06:13:37 AM »

Question for the TD vets.  When is the earliest a south to north ride is possible? 

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #281 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:52 PM
walkre73

7/4/08 Tour Divide sunrise outside Salida , Colora

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »

This year could be a tough start in either direction due to heavy snowfall on both ends .

Only those that attempt the absurd may achieve the impossible !

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #282 on: February 06, 2010, 04:58:40 PM
richNYC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »

This year could be a tough start in either direction due to heavy snowfall on both ends .

Welcome to El Nino 2010 year... This can actually work out to our benefit even though it is to soon to tell...

I'm not a meteorologist but here are some links I found. Please if someone knows how to properly interpret it, feel free to chime in;):

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf
http://www.environment.alberta.ca/forecasting/WaterSupply/jan2010/overview.html

Basically, the way I read it the southern US states might be colder and wetter than usual and northern drier and warmer...

Maybe it is too simple explanation but either way I'm ready for anything, weather doesn't really bother me that much and I find myself performing a lot better when conditions are miserable... Now, when they are miserable for 20 straight days, that's a whole different ball game;)

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: “WOW!!! What a ride!” -- Dean Karnazes

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #283 on: February 06, 2010, 07:27:36 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: February 06, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »

Question for the TD vets.  When is the earliest a south to north ride is possible? 

I know of a guy who started in late-May 2008 and ran into impassable snow in the higher passes north of Cuba, N.M.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #284 on: February 06, 2010, 07:28:36 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »

Welcome to El Nino 2010 year... This can actually work out to our benefit even though it is to soon to tell...

I'm not a meteorologist but here are some links I found. Please if someone knows how to properly interpret it, feel free to chime in;):

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf
http://www.environment.alberta.ca/forecasting/WaterSupply/jan2010/overview.html

Basically, the way I read it the southern US states might be colder and wetter than usual and northern drier and warmer...

Maybe it is too simple explanation but either way I'm ready for anything, weather doesn't really bother me that much and I find myself performing a lot better when conditions are miserable... Now, when they are miserable for 20 straight days, that's a whole different ball game;)

i wouldn't dare call it yet but usually el nino years are fast on course. andy, who told you snow was deep up top?

a look at snow telemetry in the TD weather resources section will say otherwise. everyone's below 100%. Togwotee (buried the past two years through july) is hurting. here's the snowpack map: ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2010/snow1002.gif

@ Todd, the south looks full now but usually el nino years warm up early so just bring your kayak for a northbound run. Though, we'll all be gutted if you don't bring your talent to Banff. I guess if I were a Eureka resident I'd want to 'race homeward bound' too. That northbound record is just itching to be set hard.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #285 on: February 06, 2010, 07:29:54 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: February 06, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »

I sure hope they didn't get rid of the singletrack!  So Epic, so smooth, such great flow...

Ha ha ha!

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #286 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38:39 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »

I sure hope they didn't get rid of the singletrack!  So Epic, so smooth, such great flow...

Ha ha ha!

meiser the wiser-guy. as jilleo can attest, it's even more flowy on platform pedals.

what would the GDMBR be without a couple hike-a-bikes? in all melodramatics though, that segment is to the flathead valley as the land bridge was to asia/alaska. without it, we would never see that incredible valley! the plan is to bench that miracle mile more gradually later on. one day it will be rideable. for 2010 those tourists who pull bobs are in for some goooood times!

for those who bought the old map, don't fret. there's only like three turns so you really only need the cues here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgjmpj64_0gzmj6jfc

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #287 on: February 06, 2010, 07:42:26 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: February 06, 2010, 07:42:26 PM »

So I just returned from a ski vacation in Banff. I thought I'd share this picture for those getting psyched up for the summer tour. I took it from the top of Sulphur Mountain. Mount Rundle is on the left and the Spray River runs down the valley on the right. The Spray River trail runs right beside it - that's the beginning of the GDMBR.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #288 on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:44 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:44 PM »

So I just returned from a ski vacation in Banff. I thought I'd share this picture for those getting psyched up for the summer tour. I took it from the top of Sulphur Mountain. Mount Rundle is on the left and the Spray River runs down the valley on the right. The Spray River trail runs right beside it - that's the beginning of the GDMBR.

mmm. very soothing. it's named for this (pre-race requisite) public sulphur hot springs at the base of the mtn: http://tourdivide.org/photos/canada#91
did you stay with that cute girl leslie who rides her cruiser bike around banff?
better yet, did you see crazy larry?!!

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #289 on: February 06, 2010, 08:34:08 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 06, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »

I did stay with Leslie. The cruiser, "Alice," even has studded tires on it for winter travel. No sightings of Crazy Larry, but I heard plenty of stories. On New Year's Eve, my friends spotted Crazy Larry laboring up the Sulphur Mountain trail with a gigantic backpack including climbing rope and winter camping gear. In his hands, he was holding two full-sized, battery-powered spotlights. He told my friends that the police and fire departments of Banff had entrusted him with the duty of signaling the coming of midnight from the top of the mountain so they knew it was time to set off the fireworks. But he was carrying so much stuff and moving so slow that he had no chance of making it to the peak by midnight, so he reluctantly handed over his spotlights with very specific instructions on the code used to signal the fireworks "long, long, short, short." And my friends actually carried those lights all the way to the top and returned them to Crazy Larry when he arrived long after the fireworks had ended.

Good people, those Canadians.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #290 on: February 06, 2010, 08:55:47 PM
JMeiser

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 06, 2010, 08:55:47 PM »

As far as the weather goes...why all the fret, do you have a connection with the gods to change it?  The hike-a-bike is always epic! 

I'm not being at all sarcastic about that Flathead singletrack.  I loved every minute of it!

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #291 on: February 06, 2010, 10:10:33 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »

As far as the weather goes...why all the fret, do you have a connection with the gods to change it?  The hike-a-bike is always epic! 

I'm not being at all sarcastic about that Flathead singletrack.  I loved every minute of it!
i hear you joseph. it takes a great 'personal' sense of humor to race the divide well-- as you can attest. if you can't laugh at your own jokes out there, you're screwed.
i bet the connector is cleanable as a northbounder?

speaking of upper flathead valley, great news on the conservation front as UNESCO just recommended the proposed coal/gold mines not go thru and the valley be united with waterton/glacier into one super park, mounting even more pressure on mining interests to get out and stay out.

here's some background if interested: http://tinyurl.com/yj7hxfe

here's the UNESCO story: http://www.wildsight.ca/news/822
and this pro photo expedition to raise awareness produced some unreal photos of this new section of the Divide route: http://flathead.ca/rave

sometimes peeps ask if they can donate to TD to offset organizational costs, etc. I usually refer them to causes like this along the Divide. Even just the fact that we're riding the flathead valley and exposing it to adventure cycling assoc, convincing them to include it in the GDMBR will have a longterm conservation impact. you can think about that benevolence as you vomit up your lunch on the hike-a-bike connector!

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #292 on: February 07, 2010, 01:23:02 AM
afie

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2010, 01:23:02 AM »

I encourage other fellows of successful 'Antelope Wells escape' to share their experiences on extrication. They're often colorful, trail magical and almost worthy of a separate thread.

I rolled into Antelope Wells at about 1300 to a guy sitting in a chair, baseball cap pushed up, chewing on a stick. He didn't know who I was but knew exactly what I was doing. Calling in for the last time was anti-climatic, after which I stood there - no plan, no idea. I had heard of shuttles from the border and it was Tim who informed me of their services. The white vans I had passed than morning could ferry me to Tucson or Phoenix, but a little confused I expressed some desire to get to Deming that night. Tim offered to give me a lift, though I snapped to the realisation that it was 65 miles to the I-10 and he lived at the border. I was ready to ride back after catching some kip on the ground, but Tim again came to my rescue: "Wait until 4 and you can stay at my place".

I didn't really see the point of having a border post that someone could just drive around between 4pm and 8am, but as four rolled around the guards closed the gate and drove away. I propped my bike up and Tim thrust in my hands a couple kilos of meat. Again confused (it had been a long day), we walked across the line and concerned, I was just about to ask if I was going to have to show my passport when the Mexican guards came out with a couple eskies of beer. Me - no spanish, them - not much english, but I picked up what was going on. We sat on a couple chairs on the road, a little Mexican mama came out, set up the barbie and gilled up some corn and the meat. Fantastic meal, couple of Bud Light's and I was wasted enough to try the pink dip that they were devouring - I spent the next 30 minutes smearing pork fat on my tongue to stop the burn. It was dark when the dominos came out, thankfully a game that doesn't require communication. A quick tutorial, a lot of laughing and... I don't remember what happened after that.

It was warm and I was happy to sleep on the ground - by this stage my legs had seized up after spending most of the morning out of the saddle (the only way I could hit a decent speed), but I must of hobbled back into the USA and taken Tim's generous offer of his second house - a brand new mobile home, hot shower, warm soft sofa.

I didn't set an alarm and woke up to see a white van at the window. Tim translated that they were transporting family members of Mexicans working in the US from Chihuahua to Phoenix and that they could drop me off in Tucson. My bike struggled to fit into the trailer, then a too brief thanks to Tim and I was soon passing SteveW and Allan G? coming the other way. Sitting there next to mini Mexican cowboys in their Sunday finest, my clothes must have smelt terrible - but I was riding high and spent the six hour drive stuffing my face with whatever I could buy.

Worst thing about the whole ride was that I met some really cool and generous people and I had to leave them soon after.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: rear lights. A Cateye LD600 running 2xAA (lithium) was switched on when it became dark - I rode most nights and the batteries lasted the whole way. You will be glad for its extra weight when a 40 tonne truck moving 60 mph faster than you in the rain, switches over to the middle lane. There was a story a few weeks ago in Western Australia of a guy on a bike that was run over by a few road trains in a convoy. The trucks didn't stop but talked about hitting something like a big roo on the UHF. All was left were pieces - two lane rural highway, guy had no light or reflectors.

I ran a DiNotte 3W using 4xAA (lithium or alkaline) and it was enough for me to make full speed (55mph) descents into Butte and night riding no problem.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #293 on: February 07, 2010, 01:40:57 AM
afie

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2010, 01:40:57 AM »

A friends interesting take on hand positions. No, I don't know the name of the stem.

Poor bastard it was six trucks.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #294 on: February 07, 2010, 06:06:55 PM
iRideAdv

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2010, 06:06:55 PM »

The snowpack up here is below normal now but as you know that could change quickly.  Although we need the moisture I am keeping my fingers crossed that we won't get pummelled this spring.

I am anxious to make Banff but it's not very realistic for me that time of year...need to make a living and all.  I am contemplating a northbound run if I could get an early enough start. 

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #295 on: February 08, 2010, 04:08:35 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: February 08, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »

Just as important as the snowpack will be the spring/summer thaw. I foolishly once thought below normal snowpack would be great...until what was there just didn't melt either Smiley

In other words, I wouldn't sweat it. If you're wanting to set a record then consider your start date flexible. If you're racing then you'll all suffer or cross passes at glory speeds alike.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #296 on: February 09, 2010, 12:18:37 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2010, 12:18:37 PM »

There's no such thing as bad weather just bad (wrong) clothes.  icon_biggrin Luckily we can't change the weather. You just have to take it as it comes.

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #297 on: February 09, 2010, 03:14:37 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »

There's no such thing as bad weather just bad (wrong) clothes.

I'm a firm believer in bad weather. Have you ever heard of this thing called mud? ;-)

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #298 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:50 PM
JMeiser

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »

Have you ever heard of this thing called mud? ;-)

It's good for the skin...and the soul.  It will humble you...

Topic Name: Tour Divide Basics Reply #299 on: February 09, 2010, 05:13:17 PM
longman

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 09, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »

i bet the connector is cleanable as a northbounder?

Wink
  Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: