Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How much weight : on bike vs trailer on: November 02, 2013, 07:54:47 AM
Snowcamper

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »

I'm new to the group . Looking to get into winter camping sometime . What is a good weight to shoot for on three day camping trip ? Can a trailer be used in winter camping ? Where should the weight be concentrated ? What is the ideal weight if you use a handle bar bag ?

Topic Name: How much weight : on bike vs trailer Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:48:34 AM
coldbike

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »

For just myself, i try to keep my total weight, including bike, to 65 pounds for anything under 6 nights.  When I am with someone, that weight limit goes up.
Mike Curiak has few good things to say about trailers in winter and I am inclined to agree, though I have used my chariot with skis to pull my kids a few times.  I tried a bob with a sled under the basket a couple of times and do not endorse it either. 
I use and reccommend a set of bags from Porcelain Rocket (handlebar, seat, frame).  I usually only carry my hydration pack on my back.

Topic Name: How much weight : on bike vs trailer Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:16:23 PM
Snowcamper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Looks like a modification to bob wheel is order . A wider tire and maybe DIY spikes is order  or something aircraft in alaska might used in winter . Thanks .

Topic Name: How much weight : on bike vs trailer Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:13:54 PM
Colorado Cool Breeze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »

In my testing I found anything over 35# on the bike was just too much to enjoy an off road trip.

At 35# my bike felt unstable on decents and was a real bitch on climbs.

Picts from one of my 35# test runs. Last Fall I hauled my winter pulk kit up with the mtn bike for a shake down overnite.
So for me about 25# is all I want to carry on my bike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandback2012/sets/72157631963376234/

I have a Nashbar knockoff Bob trailer but only use it in the Desert (around Lake Powell) flat dirt road riding where you carry 5 gal of water.
I would not want to use a trailer on hilly singletrack.

hth
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:29:27 PM by Colorado Cool Breeze » Logged

Topic Name: How much weight : on bike vs trailer Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 03:44:05 AM
Snowcamper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 03:44:05 AM »

I going to be putting fatter tires on both front and back . Also , distribute the weight by using a combination of pannier and trailer . My guess is i'm going to have to modified a bob ibex trailer to fit a larger rim .  velocity blunt so that i can put a disk brake (apparently you can use the same brake lever for your rear wheel and the trailer) . So far Great Allegheny passage and  Norhtbend trail (wva) looks the best trails to ride during the winter . Northbend supposely has one steep hill (which is matter of interpretation ) . Still haven't figure out which type of tire to put on the front and what goes on the back . I may end up making my own spike tire . Velocity blunt 35 on front and velocity cliff hanger on the rear .
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: