Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra on: October 31, 2012, 11:37:29 AM
Mario

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »

Anybody want to join me? I'm in for the Yukon Arctic Ultra 430 Whitehorse to Dawson City, Yukon but the only fat bike, everybody else are runners and skiers.
Best of all, no bears, no mosquitoes  Wink

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 03:50:58 PM
Mario

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »

No takers! Sad

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:41:55 PM
goldenboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »

I hadn't heard of this event before so had to look it up here: http://www.arcticultra.de/en.php?Race_Info

Website says: "Yukon Arctic Ultra will follow the Yukon Quest trail, the trail of the world's toughest Sled Dog Race.". Sounds interesting. How does it compare to the Sustina or the 'Iditabike Invitational'?

enthusiasm>ability

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:31:27 AM
Mario

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »

Don't know yet, that's why I'm doing this one, it s in my backyard, then I'll try Alaska. I suspect very similar in regard to terrain and temperatures. Not many finishers on the bike so far, but the record is 99 hours for 430 miles, not bad at all. British guy, Alan Sheldon if i remember well; I think I'll be a lot slower.
They don't do the whole Quest trail, only the Canadian side to Dawson City. The trail is very nice, I've been on a lot of section when I used to make my living as a photographer.

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:24:46 PM
flambert33

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »

I'm interested in this race; but it's going to have to be next year (2014) for me.  I did the Arrowhead Ultra last Jan and liked the experience.  I'm ready for a multiday race winter bike race.  I like the sleep management aspect of these races.  Anyways, good preparation and good luck Mario.  I'd love to hear back from from biking experience in this race.

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:58:55 AM
Mario

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »

Will do for sure, next year they won't have the 430 only 300 since the longer distance is only run on alternate years. It has to do in the direction of the Yukon Quest sled dog race that starts just a day before. When the dog are coming from Alaska to Yukon they don't want to have a bunch of racers going the opposite direction. Don't know if its any indication of what is to come but it has been in the -30c all week plus wind chill, its warming up today -26.

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:54:41 AM
flambert33

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

Thanks for info.  I didn't know about the changing configuration of the race with even vs odd years.  Weather on race day is always a coin toss.  Last January, during the Arrowhead race, after four years of ridiculously cold temps (i.e. -40°C or F!), the race happened under just below freezing with pretty soft trail conditions and I finished under freezing rain!  All the cold weather gear and preparation stayed at the start line.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Good luck!

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:06 AM
hmaddox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »

Best of all, no bears, no mosquitoes  Wink

Do the bears really disappear for the whole winter up there?

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:38 PM
Mario

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »

Yep! They sleep most of the winter, some might wake up and roam around a bit if it gets too warm. For most people around here bears aren't on the radar in winter, but with climate change who knows, it was 10c yesterday in Whitehorse.

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:43 AM
flambert33

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:43 AM »

Mario, did you end up biking the Yukon Arctic Ultra 430 this year?  If so, How was it?  How is the race organisation and overall experience?  I'm seriously considering this event for 2014 (the 300 version as the 430 will not happen till 2015).

I applied for the 2014 Iditarod Trail Invitational but unfortunately did not make the cut so considering YAU event instead.  Hoping there will be more bikes in the future as the ITI is always maxed out.  Any idea why there are so few north americans in the YAU race?  I'm amazed at how the ITI is so popular and the YAU seems little know or considered in the fat biking ultra racing community.

Thanks for any info; from any one for that matter!
Cheers,

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 02:56:20 PM
Mario

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »

Hey Flambert33,
Nope, did not start... The race was well organised again, large field of runners and skiers but only two bikes. The trail was very soft again this year, so the two cyclist ended up pushing a lot. I bailed about a month before the start since at the time I was the only bike and the idea of racing myself on my home trails and pay some guy $1700 didn't make much sense. I think cost is what keeps the NA out of YAU, we could have an informal race with locals from town if we wanted, the trail is packed for the Quest sled dog race and is public access. YUA does provide food, hot water, medial support, trail breakers but if you know the trail and are experienced in winter bikepacking we can do that on our own. Don't get me wrong its is a great race, often very hard because there is not as much traffic as the ITI, so the trail is often very difficult and the weather the last few years as been unpredictable from very cold one week to melting for the race. This year while I was training it was mostly in the -30c range the whole time and it warm up the week before the start to above freezing for a few days.

There won't be a 430 next year since it alternate yearly with the change in direction of the Quest from Alaska to Yukon and vise versa. If there was a larger group of cyclist for the next 430 I might give it a try we will see. I am racing the Tour Divide this year so I might not want to ride a bike after that anyway. Smiley
Keep me posted on your intent or any questions.

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 04:03:14 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 04:03:14 AM »

Hmm, I just need to find a good work related reason to be in CAN for this...

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:45 AM
flambert33

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:45 AM »

Hey Mario, thank a lot for the info.  Truly appreciated.  You should start a "TD like ITI type" race on the Quest trail with a proposed mass start day.  100% self supported with only commercially available resupplies available to all.  Could be the start of something Wink

Happy training and good luck with you TD attempt!

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:47 PM
dcrowe

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »

The ITI idea is a good one.  The Quest trail from Whitehorse to Dawson is different from the Iditarod route in that it comes in contact with the Klondike Highway and small communities several times.  It would be possible to purchase food or arrange drop bags etc.  As a total newbie to ultra racing I have no idea for 'events' like the divide keep track of the time part of an ITI. Is it all on the honour system backed up by GPS data?

For 2014 since the Yukon Arctic ultra is held this year in January before the Quest I have my doubts on trail conditions.  An ITI done from Dawson to Whitehorse after the Quest has left would follow the traffic.  The downside is that the first section on this route is the most remote and potential dangerous.  But I think with the right conditions it would be a great ride.

So please, school me on what is involved to start a "TD like ITI type" race.  I'm interested, and like Mario reluctant to spend $$ to ride to 'local' trails

Cheers, Derek 

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 07:09:57 PM
Mario

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 07:09:57 PM »

Hey Derek,
you might be on to something, going from Dawson to Whitehorse sound like a great idea. You get the hardest part done first, while the trail is still in good shape from the dog traffic. I was just talking to someone today about getting a bunch of local rides interested in doing a  test ride of the course on our own to see if it could turn into a regular thing. Find a few friends with snowmachine to follow in the back just in case or go ahead if the trail gets really bad, chip of cash for the fuel... We should talk about this with the local crew and see what kind of interest we have.
Mario

Topic Name: Yukon Arctic Ultra Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 09:30:24 PM
dcrowe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »

Hi Mario,  I'm happy to hear that you like this idea.  I was just looking at the Yukon Quest website at the 2012 stats.  Looks like in that year (running Fairbanks-Whitehorse) the last musher was out of Dawson about 9 days after the start in Fairbanks.  Not sure what day the Quest will start in 2014 but suggest a start time in this range.  Get on the trail before the Vets and Checkers that have to leave Scroggie creek chew up the trail on the way back to Dawson. 

Hope to see you on the trails soon to bat this idea around further.  If any other forum members have any ideas toss please toss them in! 

Ride on!
Derek

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: